PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Eyes

claws_33
08-13-2005, 12:53 AM
I have a question about the eye setup for my character. whenever i try to make the eyes target their nulls, the reference null targets them instead. im including the picture of the schematic in case it helps. ive been redoing it and fiddling with it all day, and it Still doesnt work right >_< thanks for any help!

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 01:13 AM
can you get it to work outside of the character setup you have?

I've never had that problem...

claws_33
08-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Well, I tried unparenting everything from the reference null and moved everything around. it actuallly seems as if its just going straight to the origin point instead of the eye. Is that supposed to happen?

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Well, I tried unparenting everything from the reference null and moved everything around. it actuallly seems as if its just going straight to the origin point instead of the eye. Is that supposed to happen?

going to the origin point (or pivot point) on the object, or bone, is supposed to happen. But objects should follow or point to whatever their targeted to.

I think I'm understanding what your saying but not quite sure, sorry if I'm off...

what I usually do is create a single bone to control an eyeball, and then create weight maps for each eye. You gotta make sure you get the bone's pivot in the center of the eyeball though, otherwise when you rotate it the eyeball will move outside the eyelid.

I should say, "when the target null rotates the eyeball"

claws_33
08-13-2005, 02:01 AM
The tutorial i was following never mentioned bones for the eyes. he just targeted them right to the nulls (and they worked perfectly im so Jealous!! ) i think its supposed to go onto the pivot point of the eye? but instead goes to the origin of the whole thing. i'll have to try it with a bone i guess. thanks for trying to help me Jarrede

blaqDeaph
08-13-2005, 02:03 AM
May sound like a stupid question, but are you targetting it correctly? Selecting the Eye and then targetting the null, not the other way round?

claws_33
08-13-2005, 02:08 AM
No that's not a dumb question. sounds like something i would do, but sadly that's not so in this case :( im completely stumped..would it help to send a screenshot of the rig itself?

claws_33
08-13-2005, 03:07 AM
I dont understand why its not showing the last comment here. i only see it now when im in the reply mode. Is it just me?

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 03:44 AM
No that's not a dumb question. sounds like something i would do, but sadly that's not so in this case :( im completely stumped..would it help to send a screenshot of the rig itself?

if you want, you can send the rig with only the eyes to jarred@cgi-studios.com and I'll take a gander....

claws_33
08-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Thank you Jarrede i think i will. However, since I'vejust started this i dont really know how to delete stuff even >_< I'll try but if not, im sorry if i send too much!

edit: actually I think I won't be able to understand what you say on how to fix it if you don't see the whole thing. i hope you don't mind.

lardbros
08-13-2005, 03:13 PM
The reason it's targeting the origin is because that is where the object pivots default to when they are created. No matter where you move the object in modeller afterwards the pivot will remain at 0,0,0, the origin.

If you thought you had moved the pivots to the correct place within modeller, it may not have worked... especially if layout was open at the time. Instead, go into Layout, select one of the eyeballs and choose the Modify tab, and then under 'Translate' choose 'Move Pivot'. Move the pivot of the first eye to exactly the centre, then click the second eye and do the same for it's centre.

Make sure after you have done this to get off move pivot mode, otherwise you'll be wondering why your object isn't moving or be annoyed when you realise and can't undo your last action. (for some reason, move pivot isn't undoable)!

Hope this is the prob!

claws_33
08-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok..I think i've majorly messed this up. Is there a way to remove the pivot point? When i set it to the middle of the eye, in layout the eyes went to the origin and not where they should have gone :-/ my eyes are floating around in space :(

Bonzodogboy
08-15-2005, 02:30 AM
usually I find that if I have changed the pivot point (especially with eyes :) )while the oblect is in Layout they go awry and move to where the pivot was originally.
Try either replading the oblect (Parent) with the saved object and usually I find that the problem has corrected itself.

T4D
08-15-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm just guessing here :)
But if you have any motion plugins, expression, targeting or anything on the upper body, neck or head then the targeting the EYEs will have problems
the LW targeting operators works at the same time as all your other motion effectors

SO the targeting will target Before ( or at teh same time ) as the other operators and NOT after SO this give you a screwed up result ( LW needs stackable operators )

way to fixes it K,I,S,S
you'll have to kill the other motion operators to get the eyes to work
OR you'll have to not uses targeting on the eyes and keep the body motion operators
OR you'll have to get a degree in Lw expression :rolleyes:
( Sorry not time to write the expression way of doing it, it's long and involved .....:sad:

lardbros
08-15-2005, 03:34 PM
If your eyes are floating everywhere while you move the pivot in layout... try this:

Unparent the eyes from anything and also make sure nothing is parented to them too. Choose reset from the menu which should be near the pivot options i think. This should reset the eyes to their origin i.e. where the pivot is. Now, move the pivot to the centre of the eyes again, to see if that works? Hopefully this should work... lightwaves pivots can be irritating, especially using any motion modifiers they can be impossible to control.

claws_33
08-16-2005, 01:17 AM
hehe, it would be nice to have a degree in this, but i doubt it'll happen for me! thank you lardbros i was able to reset them (didnt know that existed!) and they went back in the head, but theyre facing up so..well thats just kinda freaky! should i rotate them correctly in layout and just save them like that? this is more difficult than the rest of the body! thank you all for your suggestions. i really appreciate it ^_^

edit: ok i tried to redo the pivot and the eye flew away. how can i get rid of the pivots i did in modeler? maybe that is whats messing it up (more). The damn eyes work if i make a fresh scene from the object..but i dont think i can handle doing everything again.

:sad:

Bonzodogboy
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
Hi Claws,
I have the same issues, but from what I can work out is that ifyou change the pivot point of an object in modeler, the object will reset in layout with the pivot point in layout staying the same, and thusly the object will move in relation to this point.
And as frustrating as it is, recreating the scene seems to be the only option (if anyone else has any solutions please post them :) )...
the other option for you would be to find the eyes in the scene and move them into the correct position and so on...

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.