PDA

View Full Version : Ray Recursion limit Question...

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I'd like to see more controls with rays, like say I want reflection rays to be at 1, but transparency rays at 6.

am I the only one who would find this useful? And if it's been discussed, what are the chances of it being implemented?

Friend of mine said it simply may not be possible...

Panikos
08-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Evasion hypersmooth uses its custom Reflection Ray Recursion limit, but you have to disable LW Ray-trace reflections.

There are way to have these values separated, but its up to Newtek to provide such option.
You can send a feature request @ Newtek Forums

Jarrede
08-13-2005, 01:00 AM
Evasion hypersmooth uses its custom Reflection Ray Recursion limit, but you have to disable LW Ray-trace reflections.

There are way to have these values separated, but its up to Newtek to provide such option.
You can send a feature request @ Newtek Forums

will do, thanx for the info.

I just think I'd be a great way to optimize scenes that have both reflection and transparency's in them. I have to set the ray recursion limit pretty high to get proper alpha's, but...I don't want reflection bouncing around that many times. :)

blaqDeaph
08-13-2005, 02:06 AM
Would it be possible to render each seperately, and then composite them together?

Panikos
08-13-2005, 02:13 AM
No, unfortunately because Reflective & Refractive surfaces need to Reflect and Refract each other. You cannot Reflect/Refract something that is not in the same scene.

Its a vicious circle

duke
08-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Would it be possible to render each seperately, and then composite them together?

Yes but that is kind of a pain in the butt, and you'd end up rendering the whole frame three of four times to spit out those seperate passes with differrent recursion.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2005, 02:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.