PDA

View Full Version : Confused by a tutorial - can someone help?

BMunchausen
08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi there!

I'm currently modeling something from a tutorial and following it to the letter, but I'm wondering why the author's having me make cuts that create all sorts of triangles in the model when I've read that that's baaaaaaaaad. Can anyone comment on this? He has the model ending up with a whole array of triangles radiating out from a single point near the armpit and then there are a bunch of strange polys on the face too that I don't understand. He also has me cutting the muscles into the body and that's also causing some weirdness.

I copied his demo pictures exactly and this is the way they are.
Is this a valid way to do this or is it just going to be a major headache fixing it all later?

cschandramouli
08-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey!

You sure it's the final model? Coz in the final model the triangles would be made into quads, but for areas like breasts for examples, triangles would do... Like a sphere...

Mouli

BMunchausen
08-13-2005, 04:13 PM
No, it's not the final model, but I just wondered if I was creating a lot of work for myself, by putting in triangles that I would then have to adjust into quads. I gather though, by what you're saying, that sometimes people in the early stages, do this? Sculpt with triangles to get certain effects?

bujji
08-13-2005, 07:10 PM
hi,

bye looking at the names of images i guesss u r following the book for game character development in maya, if that is true then what u r doing is right. The game models need to be triangles. so if u r doing game model then no need to worry abt the triangles. even if u model in quads, in game they r going to be triangulated

BMunchausen
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Yes, that's exactly the book I'm using. :)
I'd heard about how the game engine triangulates the models but I didn't know if it was a good idea to do that before it does. Anyway, I'm just gonna keep plugging away at the tutorial and have faith that the author knows his stuff!

Thanks for answering.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2005, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.