PDA

View Full Version : Puppy portrait

LoTekK
08-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Hi all, started a portrait of my puppy from photoref (she's in DC with my girlfriend) while in a bit of a creative slump earlier this week. Worked on it very on and off over the last couple days, and I've gotten it to where I'm relatively happy with it, being that it was originally just going to be a speed paint (was planning to just block in the values for practise). It's not quite on the level of a finished piece, though, so I figured I'd put it here, and if anyone has any suggestions, I might just work on it some more. :p

http://www.lotekk.com/files/tiantian4.jpg

Photoshop + Intuos + TabletPC (for the last session). About 3 hours-ish, all in, I think, over the course of almost a week.

Euphrosyne
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Very cute, I love little dogs. To make it look more lively use other colors beside black and white for the light and dark areas of the dog. When you paint in all black, white and gray it winds up looking like a B&W photo instead of a live dog. Wow you sure did a lot of detail on the fur. You might try to put a layer on top of the dog and set it to hard light and experiment with colors. Also you could play with the image>adjustments.

Cute, cute, cute.

Euphrosyne

LoTekK
08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the comments! :)

The fur was all cheating, really. I wouldn't have the patience to actually stroke out that many tufts of fur. :D I simply made a couple of different hair brushes (bunches of random dots in different densities) and used those on top of the initial value study, stroking as if I was blocking in shapes.

About the black and white, I actually started this off as a pure black and white value study, and when I decided to throw some colors into the background, I clean forgot that the puppy was still pure black and white. Thanks, I'll probably try and fix that up tomorrow. For now, though, I gotta sleep! I just realized it's past five in the morning! :argh:

LoTekK
08-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Kay, decided to throw down some colors on an overlay layer.

http://www.lotekk.com/files/tiantian5.jpg

LoTekK
08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Been going back to this sporadically. Expanded the canvas, painted more of my girlfriend. I'll need to fix up the skin tones and I'll probably tighten up the background tomorrow.
http://www.lotekk.com/files/tiantianbg3.jpg

Euphrosyne
08-23-2005, 06:30 AM
The puppy looks better with some color. Hum puppy first, then the girlfriend. You better make her look good.

LoTekK
08-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Hum puppy first, then the girlfriend. You better make her look good.
Tee hee. It was initially never really meant to be finished, per se, just some value practise, and practise painting a furry animal, hence the initial lack of the girlfriend in the pic. :p She's pretty happy with it so far, though. :)

LoTekK
08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Right then, think I'm about done. Again. (Photoshop decided to crash earlier, killing about an hour or so worth of work, right as I was putting the finishing touches on). If anyone can point out anything glaring that needs fixing, that'd be much appreciated. :)

http://www.lotekk.com/files/tiantianbg4.jpg

Rebeccak
08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Blend, my friend, blend like a Mary Kay cosmetics fiend gone wild. :)

Also, her skin is looking a bit grayish, and you need more value control...if you desaturated this image, I think the overall effect would be gray, as the only real contrast is in the nose.

I frankly think that this is a really good start, but that you are nowhere near finished ~ sorry Tekkie, but I gotta give ya the goods! ;)

See you! :)

~Rebeccak

Euphrosyne
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
I agree with Rebeccak, It needs more blending. Glad you got your girlfriend in there she's cute! Keep going and I bet you will be glad that you did.

AmyScott-Murray
08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Rebecca is right about the values in the face, but when you do come to work on the colour of it, I think a more peachy fleshy tone might work better. She looks very pink at the moment, and a bit sunburned :)

Really cute though :thumbsup: and a nice idea for a portrait of them both.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.