PDA

View Full Version : removing a seam in normals... how ?

Winner
08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
ok, I have a character who's head is a separate poly mesh to the poly body ( for blendshape reasons ).

The two meshes ( or borders to be more precise ) line up exactly - so there is no break in the geometry - there is however a break in the lighting due to the difference in the vertex normals on the 2 joining borders --- but yeah this is normal.

( when i say lighting i mean the vertex lighting in the viewport )

the problem is how I remove that break in the lighting ?

I tried this already:

i averaged the vertex normals of both the head and the body geometry - this worked and you could not see the seam at all, but it also locked the normals, so when i rotated the joint of the characters head, the lighting was all screwed up. I then unlocked the normals to try and solve this, but by doing so it removed the smooth lighting between the border edges of the two meshes ( basically took me back to where i started ).....

how do i solve this ?

any help would really cure my headache ....

westiemad
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
you could rig the model using wrap deformers, which is basically a low poly model, the head is one of them, so u could keep the head attached, and still not have to worry about the poly limit in the wraps. Might be a bit late for that tho...

Winner
08-12-2005, 07:28 PM
hhmmm...I see what you're saying about having modeled the character as a whole from the start and using a copy of the head `section` as a wrap to create the deformations - but i prefer not to work that way due to the complexity of the facial rig. Really i need a solution to the original problem....

westiemad
08-12-2005, 07:53 PM
sorry, i did understand, i was just saying that its prob easier to use the wraps in order that the model is a single surface so you don't run into the problems of the odd seams.

Winner
08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
yeah westiemad your`e right mate.... thats why i changed the reply....and that is a solution worth thinking about in the future.... but for now i cant really do that...

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 07:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.