PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9: Only One Question...

TrexGreg
08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Hello....

Will we be able to envelope animate the Color, Value, Alpha and Parameter options of Gradients in Lightwave 9, on a handle by handle basis?

A simple "YES", "NO" or "MAYBE" will do...

Thanks...

Signal2Noise
08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Well since [9] has not been officially released yet and I don't think the [9] press release (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/08-01-05a.html) goes into complete detail I'd harbor a guess of....

MAYBE

:shrug:

-NG-
08-12-2005, 09:04 PM
I'll stick to...I hope so. :)

Panikos
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Gregg, alo :thumbsup:

If you need this now ...
You can partially solve this problem by using Surface Blender, a LW Stock plugin.
In the same scene, you can have a single polygon with the identical surface plus the transition you want and use Surface Blender to make a transition of SurfaceA to SurfaceB

Greets to the jets :wavey:

TrexGreg
08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks, Panik.....
But tricks and cheats to a what-should-be a foundamental and basic function implemented in the core 2 years ago, is not my idea of innovation...
I was hopping for a more official answer...
And better yet, i was hopping for a "YES"....

Cheers,

kfiram
08-13-2005, 01:42 PM
I guess the answer is yes, since we're talking NODES now...

Panikos
08-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Many things are fundamental, its been several years, with TEARS I asked for them in the forums

:wise::sad:

TrexGreg
08-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I guess the answer is yes, since we're talking NODES now...

I don't see how you can animate the handles of a gradient, only by saying that the shading system is also node based. Using nodes is visauly another way of building shaders, just like with the Texture Editor so far. Underneeth the node the calls are made to the same functions; you add a procedural node, you get the same panel with the options you have if you add a procedural layer in the Texture Editor now...

Now, unlees the Gradient functions have been updated in LW9, the node based shading tree will add nothing new to their functionality...

That's what i was asking at first place.
Are the Gradient functions updated and animatable in LW9?

Cheers,

Panikos
08-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I agree with Gregg, Nodes dont necessarily imply what Gregg is asking.

Animating Gradients is more complex case.
Extra "nodes" added in the middle of the range are dynamic, and user can add as many as he likes. Animation means preventing of crossing the "nodes"
I imagine this feature as changing while dragging the frame-bar.
Standard envelopes dont work cause you cannot limit their range.

Just my thoughts

Lique
08-13-2005, 02:12 PM
I guess if this feature is going to be in LW9, they would have say it out loud. Otherwise the chance is 99% nada.

TrexGreg
08-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I guess if this feature is going to be in LW9, they would have say it out loud. Otherwise the chance is 99% nada.

That's what i was fear, also....

Panikos
08-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Well, traditionally some tools that are work-n-progress are never announced and they suddenly pop up at the final feature list.
It depends when was the "Stop adding features" took place, how many old bugs were fixed, how many new bugs were detected and fixed etc

Let's see. So far there was no word for animatable gradients.
The only "relative" thing is the new surfacing way, but that was too general

telamon
08-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Usually I simulate this using image maps with gradients made with photoshop. THis works fine when the gradient input is not shading related (e.g. light incidence, incidence angle...). It is tedious to create and fine-tune.

Therefore I do agree, this would be very helpful within LW natively.

dalecampbelljr
08-13-2005, 04:55 PM
That's what i was fear, also....

Not everything in LW9 has been mentioned. remember it is still in DEV.

Karmacop
08-15-2005, 05:06 AM
How exactly would you animate gradients? Would you use the gradient editor or the graph editor? Would you be animating the colour of the gradient, the position of the keys, or both?

I only ask because I see this as a hard thing to visualise. It's essentially a 3d edit .. unless you want to animate the position of the keys seperatly to the colour of the keys.

colkai
08-15-2005, 09:00 AM
How exactly would you animate gradients? Would you use the gradient editor or the graph editor? Would you be animating the colour of the gradient, the position of the keys, or both?
Of the top of my head, I'd see that you'd have a channel to control each markers position and then RGB channels for each of the colours for that position. Then you could edit them as per the light channel RBG and intensity.
However, that could lead to one heck of a lot of channels to keep track of and I'm not sure I'd want to be the one editing all that! ;)

I could see that that would be how it would work though, the problem I think would come in how to specify the marker ID so if you delete a marker and add a new one, all appropriate channel data in the graph editor was removed.
Which leads us into - you just know folks would accidentally delete something then want to undo that delete - bringing a whole other problem into the ballgame.

TrexGreg
08-15-2005, 09:14 AM

I only ask because I see this as a hard thing to visualise. It's essentially a 3d edit .. unless you want to animate the position of the keys seperatly to the colour of the keys.

Well...

I'd like to be able to animate the color, alpha or value of each gradient handle, it's position in the gradient space and it's parameter type. All these should give me a curve which i should be able to edit and tweak in the Graph editor. I know Maya does this for years and it's extremle time saver for complex gradient setups and animations.

Now, if the problem is that the Graph editor gives you infinite values for your curves and the gradient space can be values from -1 to 1 or degrees or type or anything, then LW's Graph Editor should get "smarter" to understand what is you want to animate, like the Curve Editor in Digital Fusion. If its degrees you animate, then you get degrees in the graph editor to tweak. If its a parameter type you want to animate, then you get 0 to 1 values, where the kayframes act like switches between the types. If it's weight maps, then you get values from -1 to 1 for the handles and 0 to 1 for the weight map name. And so on. Digital Fusion is realy the "King of the Hill" here...

These things are not inovation. They exist for many years in other software packages and are extremely helpfull. Lightwave is my first choice for 3D work and in need them in my daily work, asap...

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2005, 09:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.