PDA

View Full Version : Letterbox from CCIR 601

sigma
12-20-2001, 06:44 PM
I rendered out a sequence in Maya at 720 x 486 ( CCIR 601 ) and imported into After Effects. What im trying to do is render it out as widescreen/letterbox format. I really would like to have the entire scene visible. Im rather new to After Effects so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. Is there anyway i could fake it? I cant go bak into Maya and re-render 1800 frames. That would take forever. Any ideas?

Its going to Avid then to Beta/VHS.

:rolleyes:

shadow
12-20-2001, 08:52 PM
Make a new composition at the size of 4:3 in your TV format. Import the sequence and resize it till you have a letterbox image. Then render it. simple as that.

But why don't you just resize the height in AVID? I guess that would save a lot of rendertime.

sigma
12-20-2001, 09:34 PM
Thx for the tip. I'll give it a go tonight. As for the AVID issue, I know someone at my old college who has access to the AVID studio. He told me it would be stretched/distorted if he scaled it down for widescreen. and something about a black strip being visible on the left or right side of the screen. I have no knowledge of Avid. Wish i did.

thx again

shadow
12-21-2001, 06:42 AM
I worked with AVID last year, when I worked as an intern.

When you calculate the right height, I think that distortion problem is no problem at all. As for those Black strips, you guess you could crop those.

Not every AVID system is the same, so maybe yours has different problems than the one I worked on.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.