PDA

View Full Version : CgTalk FXWars!: The Big Freeze! Minneapolis team: Flash Freeze

ivanisavich
08-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Greetings!

Well a couple of us (Tyson Ibele and Danny Robashkin) from Make over in Minneapolis have some time on our hands for the next week or so....so we'll be trying to get an entry handed in by the deadline :)

More to come soon!

ivanisavich
08-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Andrew Shea is now part of our team :)

jjjjjjjjjjjjj
08-13-2005, 04:58 PM
hey am new to this site and i just saw what u did in the last fxwars contest and all the anims from ur site i love ur work man and am sure we'll see some real good stuff from u and ur team

ivanisavich
08-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Storyboards! Posted simply to obey challenge rules, since they're pretty darned crappy as you will see ;)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/boards.jpg

pnoland
08-14-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey, sometimes crappy is effective. ;) Good luck guys, looking forward to seeing the animation!

ivanisavich
09-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Hey everyone....we are alive and well :D

Sorry for the lack of updates...we've been loaded with other projects on the go so this one has been put onto the backburner....that being said we'll be finishing it up this weekend so that it's ready for Monday.

Here is a playblast showing the crash sequence blocking. Note that the helicopter no longer freezes in water, do to time restrictions (and how long it would have taken to pull off that effect) we've simply crashed it into a dock now ;)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/playblast1.mov

Here's what the helicopter looks like. Note that the model was taken from a model library we have here at MAKE.

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/helicopter.jpg

lv-88
09-24-2005, 10:57 PM
that looks really great, should be one nice piece of work in the end :)

RobertoOrtiz
09-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Great work people...

The voting thread will go up this Friday, so if you wish to tweak the entry you have until then.

-R

Julez4001
09-26-2005, 03:49 PM
When the camera swings around the econd loop, the shot kinda lose energy or at least there is a jarring in the smoothness that was set up in the first curve.

ivanisavich
09-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Dang....doesn't look like our team is going to have time to finish this after all....

Good luck to all the other participants!

RobertoOrtiz
09-30-2005, 03:51 AM
how much work do you still have to do?

-R

ivanisavich
09-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Well...at this point it would take us until at least Monday-ish.....but then there's still no promising that it'll be done (we had a last-minute job come up Wednesday night...and therefore won't get to work on the Freeze entry until Saturday at the earliest).

That being said....we have some crappy-looking test comps done....so if extending the deadline isn't possible, we could still probably post those anyways.

Dutchman
09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Wow guys, you're doing it reaaally fine! :thumbsup: That image looks great, so the movie does! (cool camera angles and fast movements... It looks like motion-blur will be the key to 'reality'..? :D )

That being said....we have some crappy-looking test comps done....so if extending the deadline isn't possible, we could still probably post those anyways.
I'd do that in every case, yeah... Then people know at least that you also put time in this 'War'.

Very good luck on it... Hopefully you'll have a nice entry at the end! :)

Julez4001
09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Post what you got.....
and hey ..try finishing on your own time. You do good work.
Shame for you to give it up, but at least you got work.

RobertoOrtiz
09-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok here is the deal...

I will post the thread on Monday morning....

becase
* I have to work on the promo that I got today
* I have to set up the voting page.

You have until monday, but that is it.

Also send me a 15 second promo shot.

-R

ivanisavich
09-30-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks Roberto :D

Looks like we're going to have some more sleepness nights this weekend :P

Dutchman
09-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Ok here is the deal...

I will post the thread on Monday morning....

becase
* I have to work on the promo that I got today
* I have to set up the voting page.

You have until monday, but that is it.

Also send me a 15 second promo shot.

-R
Is that 'you' also for 'us'? :twisted: I mean... Is for everyone the deadline extended to monday...? (so that we have 2 extra days) Caus' in that case I could continue the editing really easy and without (many) stress...

For you guys (of the Minneapolis team): cool for you especially that you got extra time...! I can't wait for your finished entry! :)

Greetz,
-Gijs

RobertoOrtiz
09-30-2005, 10:13 PM
That is for all entries...

--R

Dutchman
09-30-2005, 10:20 PM
That is for all entries...

--R
Happy us! :thumbsup:

Thanks Roberto! :buttrock:

RobertoOrtiz
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
any updates?

You guys can still be added to the voting thread..

-R

ivanisavich
10-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Hopefully within the hour we should have both shots done.

Thanks Roberto!

ivanisavich
10-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Ok...I'm adding some quick sound effects as we speak, after which point I'll upload it and provide the link.

Thanks for being patient!

RobertoOrtiz
10-03-2005, 05:23 PM
remmember to post a cool image with the entry.

-R

ivanisavich
10-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Well here it is!

There's so much that we could've/should've/would've done...but due to the busyness of our schedules and lack of time to work on it this is what we've got to show instead ;)

I'm noticing that the music drowns out the sound effects quite a bit....so I'll post a music-less version soon.

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/Minn_Freeze.mov (5mb)

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/Minn_Freeze.jpg

ivanisavich
10-03-2005, 09:09 PM
By the way....just so everyone knows, the clip was created by both me and Danny Robashkin.

I was in charge of:

-helicopter motion animation
-oil rig
-dock and dock breakup/debris
-sound effects (which will be more audible once I upload the music-less version)

Danny was therefore in charge of:

-atmospherics
-water
-extra dock debris particles (any of the smaller ones you see)
-prop boats
-final composite

Gangstashers
10-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Awsome!

Just change the music and its awwwwsoooome ^^!

sheherryar

NickJushchyshyn
10-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Really cool shots! Great job!

You're MAKE demo reel rocks too!
http://www.makevisual.com/movies/makereel.mov

RobertoOrtiz
10-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Well you have been added to the sampler....

Check it out.
>>LINK<< (http://www.savefile.com/files/9610307)

-R

ivanisavich
10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Fixed the links so that now the "Minn_Freeze.mov" url is the music-less version.

If you want to hear the one with the campy AC/DC track you can find it here:

http://www.theonlyt.com/Main/Animations/Freeze/Minn_Freeze_music.mov :scream:

mexxmillion
10-04-2005, 12:02 AM
cool stuffs.. :thumbsup:
how do u achieve this kinda camera movement? is that using a dynamic rig? or all hand animated ??

ivanisavich
10-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Hey mexx,

The camera shake in shot 1 was added with an animated noise controller on the camera's rotation (the rest of the movement was keyed)....but I animated the camera move for shot 2 in Maya (and it doesn't have the same kind of noise controllers that Max has, or at least any that I could find)....so shot 2's movement was completely hand-keyed baby! :D

mexxmillion
10-04-2005, 02:13 AM
it's nice.. thanks for quick reply..:applause:
in maya, to mimic noise controller of 3ds max, u can use expression "noise(time)" or something like that to control the rotation.
if u have time (i know u are really busy:) ) , would u care to share some shot breakdown or making-of kinda tutorial ..
thanks ...

ps. or just simple explanation like which part are done in which software with what kinda techniques will be great help too:thumbsup:..

PaulT
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Whoah, that's impressive. Nice work the two of you!

3DEffects
10-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah great work guys...really impressive!:thumbsup:

mustan9
10-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Great job!

What kind of machine did you do the rendering on?

How long did the water take to render?

Is the oil rig a composite or a 3D model?

So many questions, but so impressed.

Dutchman
10-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Cool that you still have been able to finish it in time ('more of less' ;) )! Wow men, this is really a very magnificent entry...! The dynamics, the realism, the style, just all completaly awesome! :eek: It's just something that could be pasted right into the Day-after-Tomorrow or so! :twisted: Interesting that you did that awesome dynamics within 'reactor'..! Reactor is just such a cool toy - that shows itself of again!

That way of working you did ('focussing on one shot') sounds also interesting... I'm thinking of doing the same on a feature FXWar... (and then using also 3ds-max, next to AFX ;) )

Awesome job you did guys! Congratulations on finishing it, and especially on finishing it sooo damn nice! (I can't say it often enough! :twisted: )

Good luck to you two with 'Make' in the future & Hopefully we'll meet again in a future 'War'!
-Gijs

Julez4001
10-04-2005, 08:06 PM
did u guys model/texture the oil rig?

ivanisavich
10-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Although we modelled matte objects for it...the oil rig was taken from a photo. That was our "composite" shot since a composite was a requirement in the rules (Roberto take note ;))

NickJushchyshyn
10-04-2005, 09:08 PM
The extra fine details (especially in the first shot) really add to the effect.
Are the animated aspects of the oil rig done in 3D or somehow layered into the 2D map from the photo?

ivanisavich
10-04-2005, 09:21 PM
The animated objects (ropes, dust bits) are 3d yes....although I'm surprised you niced them though since we made them much more subtle in the final comp than they originally were. Good eye :thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
10-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Although we modelled matte objects for it...the oil rig was taken from a photo. That was our "composite" shot since a composite was a requirement in the rules (Roberto take note ;))

Touche....

-R

NickJushchyshyn
10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
The animated objects (ropes, dust bits) are 3d yes....although I'm surprised you niced them...
Really really cool.
Whether people conciously notice these things or not, it's this "little" stuff that really sells a shot and makes it totally natural.
Absolutely fantastic work and easily worthy of winning the challenge.

I'd wish you good luck, but you won't be needing it :)
:applause:

Abaddon
10-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Iv always wanted to know how to make a stormy, rough ocean like that. Are there any tutorials or can you give a description? Looks awesome! Good job. :thumbsup:

ivanisavich
10-05-2005, 06:52 AM
Hey Abaddon...

Well the ocean I know was done in Maya using Maya's ocean shader/object....but other than that I'm not sure what the entire process was to make it, since it was my partner who was in charge of that element (he's the Maya fluids/water wizard here at work :D)

Rascal-VFX
10-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Superb VFX shoot, btw. can you post more making of info? like... test renders, composition screens and etc.

Archetype
10-07-2005, 08:10 PM
i have just one question ?

how on earth did u make this unholy uber nice choppy waves?
"what software was used?"

Nvm

read first post later nexttime :P

HenningK
10-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Congratulations Minneapolis team.
Ha! Tyson, you're with MAKE now! Thats awesome. I know those guys from school. They are very lucky to have you. Say what's up.
-henningK

ivanisavich
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey Henning...will do man :)

Thanks for dropping by!

CGTalk Moderation
10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.