PDA

View Full Version : Deadline Race!!!

ozhaver
08-11-2005, 09:10 PM
Another piece part of the Heartbreak series...

Well I need presure. I have to get rid of the depression and I would love it if you guys help me along the way in the next 24 hours. I will be posting progress til I finish. Right now I have been with it about 6 hours...(a bit slow, but hey, I LOATHE painting backgrounds). And just to share :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/d7abba07.jpg
I should've done copy paste, but NO, I painted every single branch...so I kinda spent a lot....anyway, I eliminated the little snowed on trees and this is where I am at right now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/2c892539.jpg
I will add more snowy branches coming from trunks we will not be able to see and stuff...I am just tired of painting branches LOL.

Thank you!!!

Rebeccak
08-11-2005, 09:29 PM
oz haver,

These are some of the most evocatively beautiful digital paintings I have seen on CGTalk. I think you kind of wear out on the typical themes that you see here, no matter what the level of quality, and I have been pining to see this kind of quietly beautiful work for a long time. Congratulations on creating such beautiful pieces! I think this is the kind of work that belongs in high quality children's books and such. Great job! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Squibbit
08-11-2005, 09:34 PM
real nice stuff , dude , looks really wintery :thumbsup:

Euphrosyne
08-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Both of these are beautiful. On the second one I would like to see the trees on the left scattered (place alittle more randomly). With them marching down that side of the painting I can hardly pull my eyes away from them. It was definately worth the time to paint the individual trees:thumbsup: Really serene setting! Waiting to see what's next.

Euphrosyne

Samanthie
08-12-2005, 06:09 AM
Very lovely!! I'm so glad I stopped by to view them. I agree randomize the trees a bit and Keep going!:)

adia
08-13-2005, 07:22 PM
really beatiful artwork as always
it is so nifty and elegant.

i can't believe my eyes that its painting
it looks so realistic

I 'll stalk your WIP now

meykurt
08-13-2005, 07:48 PM
very cool.. i want to ask u a question. where and how did u learn to draw trees?? you know this job. keep up.

HorrorShow
08-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Very Nice!

Now punch up the foreground and add some depth.

ozhaver
08-16-2005, 02:38 AM
rebeccak: Oh thank you so much for the kind comment! it's encouraging!

Squibit: Thanks pal!!! long time no see huh? ;)

Euphrosyne: Thank you! I am working on it. I will be leaving the left side a bit emptier, because there is a humanoid subject coming up that is gonna be near that are, so that they don't overwhelm her. BUT if it doesn't work out, I'll add more bulk- I will keep this in mind :D (trying to stay away from the 'dessert' and to finish the background first this time).

Samanthie: Thanks!!! *takes note* :P

adia: Hello sweetheart! XOXO ;)

meykurt: You know...I dunno. I just paint them! I do sit around a LOT seeing the landscape and I LOVE seeing trees, especially since I live in the city and there aren't that many as in my hometown, so whenever I can, I just observe.

HorrorShow: YES SIR! :-D thank you!

Update:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/d03eab1b.jpg
Trying not to bulk too much the left area, still has elements missing ;-) (that aren't even sketched down yet except in my head)

Crits & comments welcome!!! :D

Rebeccak
08-16-2005, 02:43 AM
oz haver,

Wow, great stuff so far! I imagine it's kind of tough compositionally to find what works, but somehow this picture of trees ~ ostensibly not the most rare of subjects ~ is really holding the viewer's attention, I think because it has such a well-defined, though subtle mood. Somehow you have captured a tension in your work that makes you feel that there is a sense of anticipation ~ which is odd, since all you are seeing is snow-covered trees! But whatever you are doing, keep doing it, as you are doing a great job! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

BrittanyRichardson
08-16-2005, 03:12 AM
Wow, this is really looking beautiful, very 'wintery'. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Euphrosyne
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
This is looking even better! Wow I love it. I have to come back and see what you put in the empty space.

Euphrosyne

ozhaver
08-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Thank you guys!!! Well too tired (4:31AM)! I will finish it today when I wake up...Background's ok...perhaps a few more stuff here and there...Gotta work on the foreground and the subjects.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/e40794a1.jpg

ozhaver
08-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Should I add *tall white pine-trees*(like at the right) but to the left area? Hmmmm what do you guys think?

Anyway, just so this post doesn't go empty: 30 min portrait... a pal of mine! ;-)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/ozha/6dc31b27.jpg

ozhaver
08-17-2005, 07:43 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/6b6595cc.jpg

working on her :P no photoref used.

MVDB
08-17-2005, 08:12 AM
This is looking amazing! Realy sweet.. :thumbsup:

ozhaver
08-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you!!!

time's running out :P
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/ozhaver/0bcef64f.jpg

ozhaver
08-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Well, i gotta print this tomorrow, I'll be grateful for any recommendations before officially finishing it. :D THANK YOU!!! It is called Dead Forest Pandemonium: the Sentence of the Last Flower

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/ozha/9400696d.jpg

Alexandrite
08-18-2005, 04:32 AM
This looks absolutely haunting. You set a quiet, contemplative mood immediately with the background and colours, but the indifference toward the life of the last flower, on the face of the woman is immediately sinister. Amazing how moods change within an image as it develops. Her hands are incredible, also, especially the one without the scissors, fingers curved as though she already has the last blossom in her cold hand... brrrrr. I've been lurking in this WIP thread and must say, shivers ran down my spine when I saw the final result. :)

You did an amazingly quick job on this, too!!! How you do that, I don't know. :P

The only things i could suggest to finish, are maybe define the shadow around the front of her dress just a bit more, she looks a little like she is floating on the snow. (maybe she is?)

ozhaver
08-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Oh thank you for the comment & the suggestion!!! I'll work on it right away :D o_O Quick??? not really...been here for a few days...

You guys have no idea how hard it is to imagine snow when you have never seen it in real life!!! :(

Rebeccak
08-18-2005, 12:06 PM
oz haver,

You know it's funny, I frankly prefer the snow scene without the character! :) Don't get me wrong, I think the character on her own is good, but I really liked the quiet setting you constructed...with a character, the picture frankly looks more generic to me, but that's just my opinion, to be taken with a total grain of salt.

Since you obviously would like to keep the figure, I think she needs to be smaller so that the setting around her is not so reduced in importance and in relative size. I think a lot of the beautiful work which you have so carefully done is hidden by her, which is a shame! :) Plus, the quiet mood is just completely killed ~ if she were smaller, reduced in both importance and size, I think this picture might regain it's initial power.

These are just my thoughts. Great stuff, look forward to updates! :thumbsup:

~ps, the character also looks a bit like Debbie Mazur, no? :)

~Rebeccak

umbrellasky
08-18-2005, 12:21 PM
wow beautiful work! I love the colours and the magical feel to the piece! I agree with rebeccak about the height of the girl, I think she should be a reduced in size.

Beautiful work!!

ozhaver
08-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Thank you rebeccak & enialadam!

Yeah I would do that... if I wanted to do a bare-landscape or make the forest the main character. Then again, she and the flower are the main "characters" of this work-therefore I want to keep their importance/more attention. (personal choice) :D Insofact she kind of is the forest.

She only hides the empty space behind (which was left empty because it was meant for her to be there ;) ) I hope you understand... I could eliminate/reduce her and make another piece, but for now I'll stick to the initial plan. I'll explain the symbols/reason of elements used when I post the final work here.

Why I choose to not eliminate the character? I am making a series, called The Heartbreak Symphony this is the second piece along with The Repression of Frustrations: of How I Learned to Sing in Silence. The series is moved by and revolves around characters. Hope you understand. Thanks for the tip though!

As for progress, I've touched up her hands so they are a bit more defined, fixed the flower (added leaves & repositioned a bit higher), accentuated the shadow underneath her to ground her.

Rebeccak
08-18-2005, 02:17 PM
oz haver,

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo... Lol, just kidding! :)

No worries, I saw your previous piece, the one from which you derived your avatar, and it's really cool, so clearly you know what you're doing! :)

Good luck with this! Can't wait to see the final. :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Nice work so far!:bounce:
I can't wait to see the end result.

roberte
08-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I agree with Rebeccak about the initial composition, especially as shown in the second image on the first page. I enjoy the quiet simplicity and elegance of mood in it, and the challenging balance of it. I am pleased to encounter an image which expresses simply a universal emotion.

The double limb structures protruding into the scene on the mid right are a bit too similar. I think the image would be more powerful if the upper one was eliminated.

Although you have a focus for your final image another of the wonderful aspects of Cg is that you can do many different works based on elements you create, as opposed to traditional media which most often ends in a solitary expression of an idea. I would suggest that you make an image of your original inspired composition as well as the result of your later developments.

Robert

jmBoekestein
08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
I don't want to nitpick on thi s since you're allready half way ion and so on. But it seems the lighting on the foreground is not right.

Considering the rest of the scene she'd be lit more flattishly have a strong bounce/ambient lighting on her, and judging from the trees in the background, the top light should be fairly strong. On the foreground right now is only a 'spot light' from behind left camera view. :)

Background is really good though. A bit weird not t find more blue tones in it considering there's so many brown ones. :)

Good luck with the race! I bet it'll turn out quite nicely.

CGTalk Moderation
08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.