PDA

View Full Version : Keanu Reeves gave millions to animators, anyone know them?

EricLyman
08-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I remember reading about this story years ago. Reeves donated $50 million to the costum designers and visual effects team because he felt they were really the driving force behind the Matrixs' success. Here's a link to the article. (http://www.hellomagazine.com/film/2003/05/28/keanureeves/)

I never heard anything else about this though... Does anyone know who the animators were, what they did with their money, how they felt about it or anything else related?

I guess Keanu also donates millions each year to all sorts of worthy causes. He's a pretty cool person all around it seems.

JeroenDStout
08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
You mean the animators finally got paid for creating the realistically textured -but badly rigged- Keanu Reeves model?

Nah, he's cool ;)

SevenString
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Looks like that was 50 million pounds, not dollars, so that was even MORE money to the costume and fx people.

EricLyman
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Makes me wonder how he decided who got what, or if he just turned over a lump sum to the supervisors and instructed them to divide it equally. Heh, can you imagine not being given a share? "Oh, yeah... sorry man, but uh... looks like if you had just done a little better on your last review..." Talk about grounds for going postal!

Smartypants
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I worked at ESC, the visual effects studio behind most of the digital effects in the Matrix movies.

To my knowledge, none of the cg artists got this money. The article you mentioned states,

"The 38-year-old decided to hand over the money to the unsung heroes of the sci-fi blockbusters - the costume and special effects teams."

I suspect that when the article mentions "special effects team", they are referring to the artists who did practical effects. These are makeup, hair, costume, stunt, and prop people.

I also suspect he gave the cash to those people because he saw them at work more closely. Too bad he didn't come pay a visit at ESC, especially on a Saturday night at 11 pm in the last weeks of production on Revolutions. He would have seen some people busting their butts pretty hard.

cgtalkiest
08-11-2005, 08:17 PM
what a shame. when i heard of this, i did assume he meant the cg fx department...

oh well. i can understand him giving it to people who he had been working with everyday though....

lightblitter22
08-11-2005, 08:42 PM
It must be true if 'Hello' magazine says so. gaaah, bring back the UFO thread... :thumbsup:

leigh
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I remember this being discussed a few years back here, and I heard that it wasn't true.

Bentagon
08-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I wonder why he'd give that much away if his salary for the three films probably wasn't even that high (excluding percentage of profits). 50 million pounds is right now exactly 90,547,400.7150 US dollars. That'd be 30 mil a film. I don't think so.

- Benjamin

EricLyman
08-11-2005, 09:20 PM
In the article they quoted him saying that he had enough money already to live comfortably for centuries, or something to that effect. I'm sure it's true too.

Shaderhacker
08-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I also worked at ESC. I never got a dime, nor do I expect to get anything...

-M

LadyMedusa
08-11-2005, 10:21 PM
I've read somewhere he gave it to the stunt men. Never heard anything about the costum designers and the visual effects team.

Cronholio
08-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I've read somewhere he gave it to the stunt men. Never heard anything about the costum designers and the visual effects team.

Actually he apparently gave the stuntmen a bunch of motorcycles, not cash. I know lots of people who did CG on those movies, none of them got a dime.

robin
08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
This is a proof that actors make too much money. Overhyped lifestyles

beSigned
08-11-2005, 11:10 PM
I should have gotten this money! I'd use them wisely - sex, drugs, rock'n'roll.:thumbsup: (j/k)

BillSpradlin
08-11-2005, 11:27 PM
This is a proof that actors make too much money. Overhyped lifestyles

Reeves actually doesn't live much of an overhyped lifestyle, he rides a very old bike around as his main mode of transportation and lives in a rather modest (for his monetary stature) apartment. Say what you like about the guy as an actor, but he's not throwing his money into multi-million dollar mansions and driving a Lambo around. How many times have you even heard of people giving money to artists who worked on a movie weather they were in visual or special effects? Not often at all.

Shaderhacker
08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Reeves actually doesn't live much of an overhyped lifestyle, he rides a very old bike around as his main mode of transportation and lives in a rather modest (for his monetary stature) apartment. Say what you like about the guy as an actor, but he's not throwing his money into multi-million dollar mansions and driving a Lambo around. How many times have you even heard of people giving money to artists who worked on a movie weather they were in visual or special effects? Not often at all.

This is a completely true.

-M

Alice
08-11-2005, 11:42 PM
no, it use to be something along
"well, I shot the movie in a couple of months, it was really hard since it was so much bluescreen. Then some computergeeks cirkled their righthands around with a mouse for a couple of months. Zemenkis said it was state of the art tecnology so they just had to apply my acting to their computerspuppets"

/me sneeks out the backdoor

Mysterious X
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
poor people..u still believe that hoax about Keanu being a human...terminator anyone ? :rolleyes:

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.