PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a character to critique

3DZukini
02-22-2002, 03:32 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I would like to post an image for critique. This is my first character model, it's based off of the Taron head that comes with Lightwave. It's for a personal project called "Project:Brainchild". The project will hopefully be a kid's cartoon short if I ever get it finished. This is the bad guy from the cartoon: Dr. M, a.k.a. the Mad Mechanizer. Please let me know what you think!

epatnor
02-22-2002, 05:04 PM
Hehe, looks like he's got some bright ideas! :)

BASSit
02-22-2002, 08:55 PM
Sorry, but i dont know the "bad guy from the cartoon: Dr. M, a.k.a. the Mad Mechanizer" ;) Do you have some reference-pics, so we can compare ? Maybe then there is some more to say !

nemo
02-22-2002, 09:02 PM
cool idea,BASSit i think he made it up that's probobly why you havn't heard of it. i like your model but are you goin to leave the gears brightly colered like that. or do you just need to texture still?

3DZukini
02-22-2002, 09:12 PM
NEMO: Correct, I made it up. I'm trying to create a young kid's cartoon, with the color gears I havn't decided yet. The Mad Scientist character creates machines made with giant gears and nuts & bolts-the creatures he creates are all clumsy and they backfire on him. His enemys will be a group of young kids that invent stuff to combat him and stop him from taking over the world. The kids' inventions will be powered by some "mysterious" power source and that's what Dr. M wants to get from the kids, but they will always prevail in the end!! Thanks for the comments and keep 'em coming. I'm also thinking of changing the Dr. M character from short and fat to tall and thin to make appear more menacing to the young kids, let me know what you think!!

3DZukini
02-25-2002, 05:56 AM
Please guys, is there someone out there willing to take a second and give me some creative criticism? I'm hoping to learn what's good and bad about my character!!

Akkalis
02-25-2002, 10:15 AM
Looks good, and its a cartoon character, which means there isn't
a lot to crit because its your cartoon style. The one thing that I did notice was the eyebrows seem rather high above his actual brow. I think they only really rise when you are making an extression, so his stonic expression doesn't really fit the rised eyebrows.

Also, the glasses just look like they float to me, but I have no idea what it is. Maybe soften the shadows, glass doesn't leave dark shadows; just blurry ones.

And pants might help, but for that he needs legs first :)

Fhameed
02-25-2002, 02:39 PM
Good stuff
-------------
- good facial proportions
- nice teeth
- nice modelling on the nose

Bad stuff
-----------
- you need to build a more defined eyebrow flesh (i.e. bring the eyebrow bone out more from the sides - this will help when animating expression)
- texturing - to give amore fleshy colour, you might wanna add variations of red blushes, etc. to the skin texture. Look at Boo from Monsters Inc
- Eye pupils need to be put in? (usless this is the cartoony style you want to go for)
- Eye lashes? Or exaggerate the eyelides to look more cup like?

Otherwise - great stuff - keep up the good work!

CHRiTTeR
02-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Nice!

The only ctitique I can give is that you should remove that fall off from your glass texture. At least, if u used one (which I am quite shure of).

Keep it up!

3DZukini
02-26-2002, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming!

Here's an update, I'd like to know if there's a good way to procedurally texture the hair, I'd like to do real but I can't afford right now...also i was wondering if someone new of a good tutorial for the procedural effect where the edges of the geometry look worn and metal shows through just on the edges, for the gears--I want them to look like painted metal but I want the paint to be coming off where the gears touch. Sorry for the long-winded description, but I don't know how else to explain. Anyway--please let me know what you think!!

Gilgamesh
02-26-2002, 01:31 AM
How about some reflections, or at least specularity on that glass dome of his? Maybe a little refraction? I like the design, but I don't think the shader you are using is doing it justice.

3DZukini
02-26-2002, 02:53 AM
Hi guys, I added a reflection map to the Glass and the colored area around the pupils. I turned the glow all the way up in the red of the eyes but it doesn't glow in the rendering! Is there something more that I need to do to that shader? I'm using LW, thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.