PDA

View Full Version : Camera following spline question

slipster70
08-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Good morning. Another question for you LW studs out there.

I have a camera following a spline for my scene file. Screenshot of spline below.

My question is how can I influence the speed at which the camera travels along different portions of the spline? More points? Less points? Do points along the spline influence the camera at all? Or does the camera simply move along the spline at an even pace throughout?

I tried breaking the spline into different sections and told the camera to follow each section of the spline for different frame ranges. That worked well, but the transition from one spline to the next gave a little hiccup in the animation and I need this to be smooth. That's why I'd like to keep it as one spline if possible.

Any ideas or answers to the above questions?

Thank you.
slipster70

http://www.xyz-3d.com/images/spline.jpg

AngelDream
08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Add more keyframes where you want to make the camera go slower, and in the Graph Editor, set Ease In/Ease Out for the keyframes to make the transition between one frame and another smooth. You can also check the Velocity and Speed of your object, in this case, the camera. Right-click a translation channel and select from the dropdown menu Show Velocity or Show Speed.

cheung0402
08-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Hello slipster70, you can create a "Null" as a controller first. Let's say your scene is from frame 0-100. Key its PosX 0 at frame 0 and 1 at frame 100.

key your cam with start pos at frame0, and end pos at frame 100

Select the camera>>motion option>>add modifier>>cyclist

cycle frames: from 0-100
cycle controller: "Null" , PosX
cycle range: from 0-1

Then you can use the Fcurve of "Null" to modify the camera speed.

hope this can help

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 07:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.