PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Video game music goes mainstream

RobertoOrtiz
08-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Quote:

"Video games are now attracting serious composing talent. Award-winning film composers such as Danny Elfman of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and Howard Shore of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy have written music for games. Pop stars and rappers are also writing and re-mixing their music for the interactive gaming world."
>>Link<< (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.games/08/10/video.game.music.ap/index.html)

-R

JeroenDStout
08-11-2005, 05:40 PM
My encouter with this was the encouter of Peter Gabriel in Myst IV. I am forever scarred and incapable of writing the 'n' in encouter.

StephanD
08-11-2005, 05:43 PM
The two firsts I saw were:

Blowin' Cool from swervedriver(some Sega racing game)

and

Nine inch nails did the music for Quake1

Cool to hear!

heavyness
08-11-2005, 06:12 PM
there was an old SNES game that had a pop band's song in the background, the game was a side scrolling shooter [r-type'ish] and i think the band was N2 Deep or something... can't remember. that was the first game i remember that promoted the music as a feature on the game. and there has been others...

Quake - NIN [Chris Vrenna of www.tweaker.net [thanks wiremuse] did Doom 3, he used to be in NIN]
Loaded - PS1 - Pop Will Eat Itself did most of the bg music
Wipeout XL - PS1 - nothing like flyin' around those tracks to The Prodigy
Tony Hawk - PS1 - the game that defines "in-game soundtracks" after THPS, every company started to buy the rights to music.
EA - took the soundtrack idea and killed it. every game by them has music on their from artist and most of the time, the music doesn't match the game...

best soundtracks

Tetrisphere - N64
MGS2 - PS2
Halo 1 & 2 - Xbox

my good friend used to run a web radio station back in the day and played nothing but game music [from 8-bit to current]. good stuff. hard to believe some of the old 16-bit music can still hold up today.

Recursive
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Best Soundtracks:

Super Metroid
Metroid Prime
Darwinia

I dont want pop in the games I play, infact I dont want pop at all. I want catchy electronic music.

white dragon
08-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I can do better than those. Bomb the Bass "Megablast" for Xenon 2, ah the memories! :)

tozz
08-11-2005, 07:58 PM
C64 Remixes are running from time to time on the stereo. Instant Remedy and the likes, good stuff :thumbsup:
Have to agree about the EA thing, they missed the point with a game soundtrack, instead they just bought some songs and put them in there.

Boxsmiley
08-11-2005, 08:10 PM
that's main stream...pfft! And here i thought there was finally going to be a radio station that i could tune into which played game music of all genres, plus have morning commentaries about all things game related. Oh well maybe someday...

and i don't want to here any lip about internet radio, that is not mainstream! :)

JMcWilliams
08-11-2005, 08:23 PM
I dont want pop in the games I play, infact I dont want pop at all. I want catchy electronic music.

In every game? :curious:
I want good music in all games, some games require certain types of music beyond the catchy electronic genre. I want to see a whole variety of music, as long as it is good.

I'm kind of fed up with having to turn off music in games, it happens less nowadays but the most recent was HL2.

And don't get me wrong, I like pretty much all genres of music... but I draw the line at stuff that sounds like a kid with a copy of fruity loops. :rolleyes:

PS. One of the best games scores ever. IMO .. OUTCAST.
Free to download legally by the way:
http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/index.htm
(navigate to the audio tab)

wiremuse
08-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Quake - NIN [Chris Vrenna of www.tweaker.com (http://www.tweaker.com) did Doom 3, he used to be in NIN]

Chris Vrenna's site is www.tweaker.net =D

DefGeoff256
08-12-2005, 01:02 AM
In no particular order:

1. BattleToads - SNES
2. Lunar - Sega CD
3. Full Throttle - PC
4. Tetris - Nintendo

I agree with the sentiments of EA killing the in-game soundtrack idea (Tiger Woods Golf with Snoop Dogg...?...REALY?!). Sometimes I wish Midi would come back with a vengance.

FloydBishop
08-12-2005, 01:18 AM
If you like video game music, especially classic stuff, go check out Overclocked Remix (http://www.ocremix.org/index.php).

It's got some great stuff on there, including lots of NES classic music revisited. :bounce:

capone_adam
08-12-2005, 09:50 AM
I just have to mention http://www.gamingfm.com, a internet radio station that has a retro (8bit/16bit) and modern channels (or 'all'). You can also request tracks (and they DO get played, usually within a hour)

PhilOsirus
08-12-2005, 03:36 PM
They should give more credit to people who actually work in the game industry as composers, not just to popular composers of the movie industry or pop stars.

Anyway check www.vgmix.com (http://www.vgmix.com) and www.ocremix.org (http://www.ocremix.org/).

white dragon
08-12-2005, 04:50 PM
If you walk into a Japanese music store you'll find a section for game music, and find that there's always a couple of people (not just geeky looking males I should add) browsing there.

Personally, I have all the Silent Hill soundtracks, and must admit I listen to them a lot more than most "normal" albums I've bought. Although that possibly says more about me than the albums....

heavyness
08-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Silent Hill soundtracks are so good, and scary!

Boxsmiley
08-12-2005, 05:34 PM
never tried those! I am listening to Castlevania Symphony of the Night. Hmm...maybe i will try those out!

Recursive
08-12-2005, 07:15 PM
In every game? :curious:
I want good music in all games, some games require certain types of music beyond the catchy electronic genre. I want to see a whole variety of music, as long as it is good.

I'm kind of fed up with having to turn off music in games, it happens less nowadays but the most recent was HL2.

And don't get me wrong, I like pretty much all genres of music... but I draw the line at stuff that sounds like a kid with a copy of fruity loops. :rolleyes:

PS. One of the best games scores ever. IMO .. OUTCAST.
Free to download legally by the way:
http://www.outcast-thegame.com/gallery/index.htm
(navigate to the audio tab)

Yes, I want electronic music in every game I play, note though, I dont play fps games or sports games.
When I say catchy that does not havto imply fast music, could very well mean moody, the best example of that are the three examples I used in my list, super metroid, metroid prime and darwinia.

I was extreamly happy when i found darwinia, its gameplay and music is exactly how I want todays 3d games to be. Electronic music, extremly engaging but simple story, and lots of arcade action. Its one of those rare events that make me think that there is hope for the pc after all. Now lets see if Indigo Prophesy can deliver as well.

eMPeck
08-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Personally, I have all the Silent Hill soundtracks, and must admit I listen to them a lot more than most "normal" albums I've bought. Although that possibly says more about me than the albums....

I love them too. Great thing is that Akira Yamaoka will also compose soundtrack for upcoming Silent Hill movie.

lightblitter22
08-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I can do better than those. Bomb the Bass "Megablast" for Xenon 2, ah the memories! :)

Yep. :thumbsup: Amazing game. Amazing audiotrack. On Amiga especially.

Are the Bitmap Bros still working?

white dragon
08-13-2005, 10:30 AM
eMPeck -
Yeah it's very good news indeed. I am actually holding high hopes for this film, which is unusal for a game to film convertion.

lightblitter22 -
I think so, maybe, in a small way. I always wanted to work for the Bitmap Brothers as I loved pretty much everything they put out. You can download Xenon 2000 from the Bitmap Brothers site for free at :

http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/downloads/games/xenon2000/index.htm

and you can also download the original Xenon 2 game from :

http://takegame.com/shooter/htm/xenon2.htm

That last site also has Gods and Chaos Engine up for free download. Enjoy! :)

RAINpit
08-13-2005, 11:11 AM
for all of you quest fans out there:
Monkey island, the dig and Full Throttle (this one tops) had kickass soundtracks
Myst 1, Riven , Obsidian and out of this category SHIVERS 2 had killer music score
also Sanitarium broke my heart....for real - it has unbelievable soundtracks

and the one game sountrack that i'll never forget is the one for Another World / Out of This world
the 1 diskette game with full animated cinematics (hard to believe huh?)
and killer sound and musinc all on pc speaker
even today when i play the game i am amazed what eric cachi was able to pull off, the mood, the atmosphere, the music...damn

Solothores
08-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Mechwarrior 2 had a genius Soundtrack... it perfectly complimented the gameplay and helped so much too immerse into that world of polygons. And of course Wing Commander as well... those jazz tunes in the bar always were relaxing after a hard mission.

Before that, Cinemaware always had some great compositions for its titles...

Cheers
Solo

JMcWilliams
08-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Yes, I want electronic music in every game I play, note though, I dont play fps games or sports games.
When I say catchy that does not havto imply fast music, could very well mean moody, the best example of that are the three examples I used in my list, super metroid, metroid prime and darwinia.

I was extreamly happy when i found darwinia, its gameplay and music is exactly how I want todays 3d games to be. Electronic music, extremly engaging but simple story, and lots of arcade action. Its one of those rare events that make me think that there is hope for the pc after all. Now lets see if Indigo Prophesy can deliver as well.

Thats fair enough, although my personal take is that I want to see more variety of music. I enjoy electronic stuff when it is done well (it often is not)... I also like combinations of orchestral and synths, done well. ;)

Oh, and mechwarrior... (I prefered the sequal mercenaries) yes, that was a good soundtrack. A good blend of styles without losing direction. Electronic, rock, orchestral etc.
Not fond of the latest mechwarrior/mercenary games though, new composer... it's lost the edge.

eMPeck
08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I have only OST for first MechWarrior, and it's very good indeed. Have You heard soundtrack for American McGee's Alice? This is insane music, not so creepy as SH OST's, but also very dark, if You have game installed just open pak2.pk3 file with any zip-packer. Music in Legacy of Kain serie is quite good to (including first part - Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain)

Funniest thing is that in last few months I also listen soundtracks a lot more than 'normal music' ;)

white dragon - I hope Christophe Gans will keep Silent Hill's claustrophobic, sad mood, not like ehm, Alone in the Dark, where everybody just shooting around :/

lightblitter22
08-13-2005, 07:54 PM
deleted... double post

lightblitter22
08-13-2005, 07:55 PM
I would love to see someone revive Mechwarrior as a game with modern 3D graphics and multiplayer over internet gameplay. That could be an absolute winner if its done right.

Another winner would be Wing Commander brought back with more up-to-date gameplay, multiplayer and voice over IP. Certainly wouldn't be any worse than today's stupid FPS franchises.

JMcWilliams
08-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I have only OST for first MechWarrior, and it's very good indeed.

You can download the full games, and the soundtracks for them from here.. (fully legal)
http://abandonware.the-frenchkiss.biz/index.php?page=browse&type=Iso&npage=1

as I recall the soundtracks for mechwarrior mercenaries and a expansion pack are there.

(the soundtracks are in the list above, usually listed with "audio addon" or "add" at the end of thier title.)

Cyborgguineapig
08-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Am I the only one thats sees this as being a bad thing?

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2005, 10:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.