PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft SDK DirectX Exporter, animan, FATAL ERROR

ivankio
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm using the june 2005 version of the X exporter, and Maya 6.5.
With certain high-poly setups (specially with animan and painted smooth skin, although I'm not shure if it is the problem), whenever I try to load the plugin, maya crashes in a Fatal Error. If I load the plugin then try to open the scene, the same happens.

Detailed tentatives:
I deleted everything on outliner, hypergraph and hypershade in this scene and it would still crash.
Then I tryed to export/import the mesh trough OBJ in a new scene, copied and pasted the skeleton, re-skinned with the working options (without the "Remove Unused Influences" which i discovered caused problems in another character), and it would load the plugin. Imported the skin weights, ok. I tryed to keyframe some bones and it still worked, I deleted 1 keyframe and it crashed.
Would repeat till the step before, and somewhere it crashed. I am clueless.

DuttyFoot
08-18-2005, 09:06 PM
i am having similar issues and man its becoming a pain in the arse. i keep getting a fatal error when i try to use the pipeline viewer. what to do. maybe its a bug in this version

ivankio
08-19-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't know what is the cause of the problem, but i got an eerie workaround.

Export only the mesh throught obj format, imported it in a new scene, OPEN OUTLINER AND DELETE ALL SETS (other way it would crash ass soon as I load the plugin). Now with only the mesh, save it, close it.

Open now your first file with the aniMan character. Copy everything under the root, close the file.

Open again the geometry, paste the character, use "Search and replace names..." to remove the "pasted__" from the names.

Bind the geometry again, import the skin weights (make shure you exported them first :)) an done.

---

But you may find that if you animate the character, Maya may crash in the way. I solved it making all the animation in the buggy file, exporting it, importing the animation in the resulting character of the above procedure, and only then I would load the plugin to finally export.

It is not pretty, even if it would be simplified with a little reasoning, but it worked this way and I just don't regret the time I lose this way because I fear how much time it would take to discover the pretty way.

DuttyFoot
08-23-2005, 12:30 AM
thanks alot bro, that worked like a charm..finally. man i was here tearing my hair out trying everything to get this thing to work.

ivankio
10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
To whoever is interested in this topic and related info, it also seems that animan's import and export body animation functions do not like free weighted or broken tangents. I would love if someone say I'm messing things, but it looks like this for now.

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.