PDA

View Full Version : Problem! exporting animation from 3dsMax with constraints to directX renderer

debashish
08-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi all,
im into game developing, me as animator, with game engine based on directX 8.

When we export our animation in X-files (from 3dsMax 6 with panda directX exporter) and see them individually in mesh-viewer or renderer, its coming fine. But the very moment we add/append them(all animation) in one file (direct X file) and play them, its looks crazy, the weapons (or whatever the character carrying,) moved form its original point to some other point in space, but it still linked with the limb.

I think, as we are linking and de-linking (link-constraint) the weapon in various stage of animation(in max), as to give individual animation to the weapons, but its carrying the same link point in the next file, regardless of its original position. Suppose we animated the bow moving forward in one file and it has to stay static, held in hand, in the next file. but what we see is, its linked to the limb (we can see its inherited motion of limb) but the animation is playing in some other point which may be position of the weapon in our previous file.

can anybody knows how to solve it out.
i know something has to be done through codes, but we are not able to find the point where the problem is.

urgent help needed!

-- debashish

Stevemeister
08-11-2005, 04:16 PM
When there's a change in parenting of a child object you just can't copy and append AnimationSets in notepad. Animations refer to a Frame template, and if you are using one that refers to a wrong Frame (that uses the wrong FrameTransformMatrix), something like what you are seeing can happen (it follows the limb but in the wrong position in space). Are using MeshViewer to append the animations?

Keeping the weapons and player models separate and parenting them in code later should solve your problem and be less of a hassle. Though but if I remember right Panda doesn't come with C++ code does it? It uses some sort of scripting language right?

papillon68
08-11-2005, 10:44 PM
Have you tried exporting animations with Deep Exploration ?

debashish
08-12-2005, 11:02 AM
When there's a change in parenting of a child object you just can't copy and append AnimationSets in notepad. Animations refer to a Frame template, and if you are using one that refers to a wrong Frame (that uses the wrong FrameTransformMatrix), something like what you are seeing can happen (it follows the limb but in the wrong position in space). Are using MeshViewer to append the animations?

Keeping the weapons and player models separate and parenting them in code later should solve your problem and be less of a hassle. Though but if I remember right Panda doesn't come with C++ code does it? It uses some sort of scripting language right?

thanks Stevemeister
im not changing the parenting, im just de-linking (linking to world)
yes we're using MeshViewer to append the animations.
And Keeping the weapons and player models separate and parenting them later in code might not help as it will need lots and loads of code to animate and sync the weapon animation in game. any ur right panda dont have C++ within in it.

-- debashish

debashish
08-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Have you tried exporting animations with Deep Exploration ?

Hi papillon,
no we haven't tried deepExploration.
can we append animation in deepEx?
as i think its not the problem of exporting into X-Files, but to append all animations into one mesh file.

--debashish

Stevemeister
08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Only thing I can think of is to check your .X files and look for your weapons mesh. It should look something like this

Frame Frame_Weapon
{
FrameTransformMatrix { ... }
Mesh Mesh_Weapon { ... }
}

in each .X file that you append, if the values in the { ... } are not the same as the one you are joining with, your animations will be off because the one you are appending will be referring to a different Frame (of reference). MeshViewer uses the Frame from the first file, ignores the Frame from the second, and just appends the AnimationSets. If they are different, you should be able to fix this in MAX.

papillon68
08-13-2005, 10:07 PM
can we append animation in deepEx?
as i think its not the problem of exporting into X-Files, but to append all animations into one mesh file.
--debashish

Hi, honestly i didn't try appending animations, but you can try, they have a 30 days trial version at www.rightemisphere.com (http://www.rightemisphere.com)

debashish
08-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Only thing I can think of is to check your .X files and look for your weapons mesh. It should look something like this

Frame Frame_Weapon
{
FrameTransformMatrix { ... }
Mesh Mesh_Weapon { ... }
}

in each .X file that you append, if the values in the { ... } are not the same as the one you are joining with, your animations will be off because the one you are appending will be referring to a different Frame (of reference). MeshViewer uses the Frame from the first file, ignores the Frame from the second, and just appends the AnimationSets. If they are different, you should be able to fix this in MAX.

THANKS Buddy !!:thumbsup:
it works!

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2005, 01:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.