PDA

View Full Version : LionWalkCycle

Stephen Vyas
10-31-2002, 08:42 PM
Here's my lion walk cycle.. Hope ya like it...
Lion (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/Lionwalk.mov)

-Steve
cgsteve@shaw.ca

Grayscale
10-31-2002, 10:14 PM
Stephen,
Damn good job. How about tossing a front and perspective view up for us as well. I don't see anything right now that stands out and screams "I'm WRONG"...so...great job.

Stephen Vyas
10-31-2002, 10:53 PM
Hi Grayscale
Ok, here's a front perspective view.. If you need an absolute front view I can post one after I'm finished working tonight.

LionFrontviewPerspective (http://members.shaw.ca/cgsteve/Lionperspective.avi)

Cheers!
-Steve

Grayscale
11-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Stephen..again, good job. Don't see a thing wrong. Great work. Thanks for the update too.

bentllama
11-01-2002, 07:02 AM
overall nice timing.

here is my opinion:

- feet are too floppy. lift the legs more if you need the paws to clear the ground.
- the tail seems to be very uneventful. use artistic liscence and throw in some more sway to spice it up.
- you are showing the weight transfer witht the front legs, but on the rear legs the weight is not as evident. even though the cat's rear is lighter than the front, it still needs to show a little more weight. right now the hind legs look like they are just along for the ride rather than contributing to the locomotion.

Anyway, just my 2.5 cents... :)

Stephen Vyas
11-01-2002, 09:35 AM
Hope everyone had a happy halloween...

Grayscale: Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it...

Bentllama: Thanks for the critique. I agree that the back hips/legs always had something wrong with them, and now I know why :)

It's funny, those little things that seem so obvious, always slip by when you get too close to an animation..

Cheers!

-Steve

Rogue
11-01-2002, 12:03 PM
It's nice and smooth overall.

I agree with the feet. You can move the, uhmm, er, shoulder for the front legs to get them higher. A cat's (whatever that is...shoulder thing) moves up and down when they walk. There's actually a good bit of movement there.

The first thing that caught my attention was the timing of the feet. I think a cat's walk is a bit more offset from front and rear. I mean, the rear foot moves forward and goes where the front foot was....And the front foot moves out of the way right before it gets there. There's very little time when both feet are off the ground on one side.

Cats are amazing creatures.

Frinsklen
11-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Wow, very nice. I can't add much:

There's something with the front "shoulders" I dont like much, the trajectory they describe seems to do too many ups and downs. (not too much up and down, but too many ups and downs, the trajectory that the "shoulder is describing doesnt look good)
I know the spine is not suppossed to move too much, but the back spine bone looks a bit rigid to me,
I would have had the head pointing a bit higher, and I wouldn't have added so much tilt to it, that's just an idea, though.

Watch Disney's Tarzan, or The Lion King, or even better, watch The Jungle Book and the superbly animated Shere Kahn, that would help you get the weight you need. (specially in the back legs, as bentllama said).

Great job.:thumbsup:

and please, post a full front view.

Stephen Vyas
11-01-2002, 10:27 PM
G'afternoon...
Frinsklen wrote:(not too much up and down, but too many ups and downs, the trajectory that the "shoulder is describing doesnt look good)

Frinsklen: I'm not sure how to fix the trajectory of the shoulders to what you'd like to see. If you could elaborate a bit more, maybe we can work something out.
I'd have to agree 100% that the back spine bone needs to be moved to counter the front shoulders, however, it's my inexperience that led to a lousy rig for this lion. .. Ahh well, live and learn right? :) I'm workin on a fix for it today. I'll let ya know how things go. How's it sound if I post the front view after I've fixed the rig situation. It might clear up some future bugs you'd see.

Rogue wrote: (I think a cat's walk is a bit more offset from front and rear. I mean, the rear foot moves forward and goes where the front foot was)
Rogue: Your right. In some cases the back foot does take place where the front foot use to be. In my case I'm unable to bend the back spine at the moment, heh laugh all you want. Like I said a bit higher up on this note, I'm workin on a fix for it. Shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to check out those movies. So far, all I've been watching are those nature shows on the learning network. :)

Cheers
-Steve

Rogue
11-02-2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Stephen Vyas
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to check out those movies. So far, all I've been watching are those nature shows on the learning network. :)

We animated the Predator cat for the Nashville Predators. He's a sabertoothed lion and we needed lots of reference on cat behavior. It was really interesting. Cats have three gates. One is the normal walk, which is what you have with the changes mentioned :), two is like a trot, and three is a run. All three are vastly different. What was really cool about it was to watch them go from one to the other. It makes no sense, but to watch them it was smooth and seemless.

Like I said, cats are amazing creatures.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.