PDA

View Full Version : poser

doonee
08-10-2005, 11:53 PM
hi all

A few very basic questions about Poser, if you allow.

I would primarily be intrested in purchasing poser because of the possibility to derive VUE content from it.

theres a few things i need to be set straight about, i spose.

do i actually need poser to use poser content im VUE ?
(do i need to prepare, preformat, export, do whatever in poser to get its models into VUE?)
can i test poser content in VUE without owning Poser ?

Ive seen Poser on a friends machine, and to my taste, the default installation is rather large. (500 MB+).
Obviously, and naturally, much of the material accounting for its size comes from its specialzation on humanoid characters. (i guess)
Question is, IF im sure that I do not plan to use the 'humanoid features' of poser,
can i rid myself of some of the humanoid specific content on the harddisk to keep the app
down to a size i consider appropiate, without having it crash on me all over ?
Besides, this question actually depends on the answer to q.1.
It only makes sense, i guess, IF Poser is usefull to me in preparing, say, plant models or architectural models for the use in VUE.
In that case, id like to loose the mannequins, i guess.

best regards and thanks
doonee

DigReal
08-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Yup, you need Poser. When you try to import a pz3 (Poser) file into Vue for the first time, Vue asks you to locate the exe file. That's it tho... no fancy setups to deal with... stuff just imports. You will want to edit the materials, tho, but that's true with any import. You don't need Poser6. Poser4 will do, and you can probably find P4 pretty cheap since it's an old version.

P4 doesn't come with much in the way of heavy content, so don't know where that 500 mb comes from. P6 has heavy content, tho. I can't imagine P4 needing 500 mb, but I could be wrong. P6 has a lot more to it, which it sounds like you don't need. Stick with P4.

I use Poser specific plant and structure models in Vue all the time. Works out great for me, and the Poser stuff is usually much cheaper than stuff made for other apps, yet often just as good.

doonee
08-11-2005, 02:32 AM
i hear you steve
(no issues with recent poser content and version 4 ?)

thnks a lot !
d

ah ...
and out of curiosity ...
hows the story with xfrog ?
same thing, need the programm to convert fo use in VUE ?

DigReal
08-11-2005, 01:30 PM
For new Poser content, you'd have to check before buying. So far, everything I've bought included a P4 version. And I have a LOT of content. I think the only stuff that doesn't work in P4 are the dynamic stuff... hair and clothes. P4 didn't have any tools for the dynamic stuff. From what I've heard, the dynamic stuff doesn't work so hot in Vue anyways (but e-on is working on that).

For Xfrog content, you get options. The standard cd's come with models in 2 formats...native xfr, and your choice of something else such as 3ds or vob. They also offer dvd's which have the xfr files and ALL the other formats they offer together. Of course, unless you have Xfrog 3.5 you can't edit the libraries beyond what your render app will allow. Personally, I like to edit just about every plant before use, so having Xfrog is a must. But that's just the way I am.

In case that answer wasn't very clear. To use Xfrog content, you only need the content cd, not the program.

doonee
08-11-2005, 02:40 PM
i hear you steve .. :)

... and xfrog 3.5 exports to vob, correct ?

thnks again
d

DigReal
08-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Not to vob, but to all the common formats like obj and 3ds. I find that 3ds works best in Vue, so use that for everything except Poser stuff.

Sounds like you're thinking about Xfrog, Doonee. Always fun to have someone else around for sharing Vue/Xfrog tips and tricks. :)

mdunakin
08-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I'd probably be more interested in xFrog, if it were more workable with other apps.

But to me, it looks like it's pretty much a stand alone app, no?
I mean, all that cool animation features that it does and everything, seem
like it only works inside itself and not with anything else, or am I way wrong?

That's an expensive program and right now I'm pretty burnt out on spending money for apps.
I don't EVEN want to talk about how much I've spent in just the past month or so, uhg.

Now I'm down to being 'extreamly' picky about what I put my money towards.
Including food LOL
But I really wanted Vue5I for quite a while and the other apps I bought or upgraded to.
And my Wacom Tablet as well, which I love, BTW :)
Can't even see how I lived this long without one.

...........md :)

DigReal
08-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Xfrog 3.5 is the stand-alone version. Xfrog4.x is designed to be a plug-in. So far, I think it's only for Cinema and Maya, but LW is on the list. Maybe you'll have saved some new pennies by then. I have the Cinema version, but still feel more comfortable working in the stand-alone. Someday I'll get back to C4d.

doonee
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
i hear you steve .. :)
thnks a bnch, youre helping me a lot here...
rgds
d

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 09:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.