PDA

View Full Version : Normal Mapped Armor (wip)

Confracto
08-10-2005, 11:48 PM
sorry about the attatchment...I hate doing it but I'm having problems with my webspace.
it always seems that threads with attatchments get viewed less...oh well.

Anyways,
I've been working on this guy for a few weeks now. I'm starting to get stuck as to what else to do with the texture...it still seems kinda bland, so I've come for suggestions.
crits about anything else are great too!

*edit*
oh yeah, he's 4100 tri's and a 1024 texture with normal/spec/gloss....though I may condense the spec and gloss into one.

cuzzo
08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
nice character model by the way...but what i would do for texturing is maybe dirty it up abit...yea the texturing is abit blan, dirt will do it and maybe a more vibrant green....i dunno maybe that helped :)

Tronno
08-11-2005, 03:51 AM
Add more scratches and grime. It's easy to overdo it though, so be careful.

Nice character, btw. :thumbsup:

Robert-Fletcher
08-11-2005, 07:49 PM
cool but the wrist armor looks a bit to wide

Confracto
08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
ok, reworked the texture a bit. Added some grit and grime to him. Not sure if I'm gonna add any scratches or 'damage' wear to him. also, made the render a little more clear, and did a bit of rigging so he's actually in a pose. He's gonna have some accessories and a gun when finished.
http://rbsstech.com/confracto/posted/comp1.jpg

Johny
08-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Since he is a soldier, and he seems to have some years on experience, i seriously think that you should add some wear and tear to his armour, like rusted or paint cracking, some scratches, etc, that makes detail.

Confracto
08-18-2005, 07:19 AM
ok, reworked the material some more...added a bit of reflection...not sure if it'd pass so much for realtime...I think it'd be possible, I just done know enough about shader coding to make one myself.
dirtied him up some more and added a few extra tweaks and details.
http://rbsstech.com/confracto/posted/web01.jpg (http://rbsstech.com/confracto/posted/web01-big.jpg)

sathe
08-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Confracto, this is a great character you have here, one because its very artistic and original, two because its efficently modeled, how everything pieces together, and three because the texture shows off the detail and normal mapping very well. I cannot crit a piece of work like this but can i suggest to add a bit more detail to the head gear. They seem to attract the most attention but are also one of the less detailed parts. Or maybe you could just use normal mapping similar to that of the cross pattern on the chest.
Congratulations though, i know i would love to use this character.

jmBoekestein
08-19-2005, 01:45 AM
I'd say normal mapping from a hi res model would yield better curvature on the mesh. YOur choice since it's way more work, but it's not that tough to model solid panels, I presume topology is no issue at all in normal mapping.

It renders quite like a bumpmap in my eyes. But nicely, indeed original. :)

edit: (or did you map it from hi res? )

Confracto
08-19-2005, 06:14 AM
yes, actually, I did normal map it..you'd be suprised to see what it looks like without it...actually, I'll go get some wires and things and post that right now....

ok, fresh off the presses, here's a progression of what he looks like in the viewport.
he's currently got 1024 maps for everything right now, but I'll probably shrink a lot of them down, as they're more than enough detail for some things....the diffuse and the normal I may keep. Still planning on adding some wear and rust in a few spots and some more detail in the head, you're right Sathe, thx.

http://www.rbsstech.com/confracto/posted/web02.jpg

AndyH
08-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Looks really nice - the normal maps do a great job of enhancing the detail. I find that pose a tiny bit feminine though (it must be the hand on the hip!) and i think the last pic you have could use some ambient lighting to brighten up the shadows - something more like the 2nd from last pose on that pic.

Good job :thumbsup:

nealb4me
08-19-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah I agree, that pose is really putting me off. It's how I would expect a model in a bikini to be standing. Not a hard-arsed soldier.

I like the design of the back, although the silhouette of the leg and arm armour is very straight and a bit boring. Just something to keep in mind for next time :thumbsup:

kOmoo
08-19-2005, 09:00 AM
What about making a gun for him, i'm not a fan of that model pose he is in.

Headless
08-19-2005, 12:27 PM
I agree on the pose. If a character's hips slope in the opposite direction to the the way the shoulders slope, that's the typical sexy female pose. Having the hand on the hip and the other arm lose only accentuates that. If all else fails then just look at a catalogue shot (of a guy), and copy that pose.

Also I think the right hand could do with losening up a bit. At the moment it looks quite rigid and if you just try what he's doing with your own hand you can see that it's not a relaxed hand position, you need to curl the fingers round a little bit.

Confracto
08-19-2005, 09:41 PM
ok...I got it about the pose...heh, I will SO change it soon,
and about the hands...they're not rigged yet...it was a quick rig job just to have A pose besides the T shape.
He IS having a gun, and some other accessories, like a knife, ammo, and grenades, I've just not made any of that yet.
however, this is likley to be slow going, I just found out today that I start my first modeling job on monday :D
thx for the crits, and I hope to still try and have more soon.

Saramago
08-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Really nice work
The hand look way too small though. Partly it's the suit but it still seems off

CGTalk Moderation
08-19-2005, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.