PDA

View Full Version : The new dynamics interface?

ANGEL_OF_WAR
08-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Has anyone seen the new dynamics interface? I wasn't at Sig 05 and I haven't seen anything about it on the net.

stompbox
08-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I hope ClothFX works a little better than its current incarnation. Currently takes a lot of work and heartache to get so-so results. Improved cloth would be great.

ANGEL_OF_WAR
08-11-2005, 11:52 PM
From the sounds of it, they worked it over quite a bit. I'm curious about the new interface... Really hoping it's a little simpler. As much as people say it's behind the power curve of modern technology or whatever, Lightwave's big plus is its workflow. Dynamics was like a stop sign on the interstate.

In my opinion.

Carm3D
08-12-2005, 12:31 AM
From what I gather, it's unchanged. They just gave the interface a breakout box so Lightwave doesn't lock up during calculations if you try to multitask. The real improvements come in 9. We shall see.

stompbox
08-12-2005, 01:53 AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read in someone's post about LW9 demo at Sig 05 - that it had impressive cloth dynamics? Even if we have to wait until LW9 it will be worth the wait IMO. For me cloth has been the most significant speed bump on the LW learning curve. Good cloth would totally rule. The XSI clothhilde (?) cloth dynamics demo videos make me drool.

LW8.5 sounds like yeah it will let us run other apps while dynamics calculate, currently I jump on the laptop and work on something else while (the desktop is) calculating, so it's neither here nor there. Although lets face it hi-resolution setting dynamics can take all night to calculate so I guess it is a good interim measure.

ANGEL_OF_WAR
08-12-2005, 02:15 AM
My bad! I was actually talking about LW9, but I heard the same things. Can't wait!

When is 8.5 coming out? I'm having withdrawls from LW now because I'm on a trip with a laptop and I have this huge urge to model and I can't!

stompbox
08-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Can't you install LW on the laptop and take your dongle? :)

Excuse my wandering off topic, but I also hope LW9 has some UV pelting features, or even something building on or along the lines of the RelaxUV plugin. The MODO 2 UV unwrapper looks mind-boggling. Cloth and UV pelting - the two holy grails for LW as far as I'm concerned.

stompbox
08-12-2005, 02:47 AM
When is 8.5 coming out? I'm having withdrawls from LW now because I'm on a trip with a laptop and I have this huge urge to model and I can't!

LW8.5 soon, LW9 after that. I'm guessing 8.5 in the next few months (having read 4th quarter '05 I think it was,) 9 maybe early '06? It's pure conjecture on my part but I doubt anything else (other than guessing) would be more accurate at this stage. If they come sooner, sweet!

Phyrea
08-12-2005, 02:50 AM
LW8.5 soon, LW9 after that. I'm guessing 8.5 in the next few months (having read 4th quarter '05 I think it was,) 9 maybe early '06? It's pure conjecture on my part but I doubt anything else (other than guessing) would be more accurate at this stage. If they come sooner, sweet!
Actually, 8.5 should be within a week or two (at the most) while LW 9 is set for Q4 2005.

stompbox
08-12-2005, 02:57 AM
Yay! I'm very happy to be corrected on that! :thumbsup:

ANGEL_OF_WAR
08-12-2005, 03:26 AM
YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! I'll be back in a week! I can't wait to jump back on LW. This is my wife's computer, used mainly for word and powerpoint. I tried Wings 3D on here and the graphics went out like a deer on the freeway. Oh well... not that I'm anywhere near "professional" but I'm having fun getting there.

And I tried the Vue 5 Infinite demo at e-on, and it RULES. Problem will be making it look right when I'm doing toon shading in Lightwave...

Come on 8.5/9.0!!!

BY THE WAY: I just tried to post this message, but I had too many exclaimation marks in a row and got scolded by the Gestappo computer for "not being polite."

BAH!

Sbowling
08-23-2005, 08:06 AM
From what I gather, it's unchanged. They just gave the interface a breakout box so Lightwave doesn't lock up during calculations if you try to multitask. The real improvements come in 9. We shall see.

Typical newtek cludge. Really pretty sad. Looks like they are continuing the process of buying out third party plugins and wedging them into the interface from what I saw of the pretty unimpressive Sigg videos.

colkai
08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Typical newtek cludge. Really pretty sad. Looks like they are continuing the process of buying out third party plugins and wedging them into the interface from what I saw of the pretty unimpressive Sigg videos.
Sam, Sam, Sam,
You really don't like LW & Newtek at all do you? There is this persistant desire to suggest all Newtek are doing are buying 3rd party plugins.
With just a tiny bit of effort, you can find plenty of information from Newtek stating very clearly, they have not just kludged 3rd party plugins. They have in fact, taken on said developers as part of the new team, and whilst the code is at present a plugin, it will be fully integrated into the system. They have also done a huge amount of core re-write.

But then, let us be honest, you know this already as do many others who choose to take this line. You also give the suggestion that what you saw was in fact LW9 ready for release, again, as I am sure you are quite aware, this was a preview of a work in progress.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if a CG artists work was judged on his first WIP postings? Yet when it comes to software, folks seem to do just that, of course, that depends on which software it is.

Emmanuel
08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Clothilde is not XSI but C4D, and I would NOT judge other apps by watching videos, videos are always biased and very focused on one thing: marketing.

CGTalk Moderation
08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.