PDA

View Full Version : computer for work of 15 million faces ?????

ALKENDY2006
08-10-2005, 09:21 PM
hellow

i am an architect and i work in the field of animation work i have faced many problems with 2 projects i build traditional city inside 3 d max by the help of autocad the total faces 10 million faces approxiamtly in the last process of the work the material and lighting the 3d max close immediately when i press render buttons i try many times to make the work good in rendering but i cant unfortunatly i tried to use ray traced shadow , adv. ray tr shadow, area shadow and the shadow map in the last of sulotions the shadow came not right without this type of shadow i cant render the work

now i have similar project but more bigger and i want to buy workstation

i want the advice of the proffesional members who have same problems before and how i can solve it

is the windows environment not good for 3d work?

if it is not good what is the best system i can install special 3dmax on it if it is possiple?

if any body tell me about the good vga card and other hardware also for this type of work

Sephiros9883
08-10-2005, 09:56 PM
I think the real problem is 3ds max....I don't really see it supporting 15m trinagles....

How much ram do you currently have? what is the sice of your shadow maps, how many light source do you have?

Are you working on windows xp pro?

I think the real issue here is the RAM. Get 2gig of ram at least, and I don't think going for 4gig would be a bad idea either....can't have too much RAM (although make sure you have top notch quality motherboard that can handle the 4gig)

VGA card you'll have no chocie to go but on professionnal level, like Nvidia Quadros.

But honestly i think the proble is that max cannot support so many polys. I'd try with XSI

ALKENDY2006
08-10-2005, 10:10 PM
thank you for reply

very fast i work on 2 pc

first comp

asus mother board p4c_800_e

intel processor first 3.2 ghz ht

2 gb of ram twinmos 512x4 400 bus speed

vga ati saphire 9800 xt 256 mb

200 gb of hard disk

second comp

msi mother board 915 p neo 2

3.2 ghz 1 mb cash ht

ram 2 gb 4x512 king max ddr2 533 bus

200 gb hard disk

vga 256 geforce 6600 msi

the third comp. render box from boxx company

amd opteron 2.4 x2

6 gb of ram

specially last one not work as i though well

what i will do i think i will cry

ALKENDY2006
08-10-2005, 10:21 PM
sorry i forgot

i work on windows xp sp2

YF19-sama
08-10-2005, 10:30 PM
One suggestion: try to optimize the sceen the best you can, unseen elements dont have to cast shadows for example some others renderers can handle a large amount of triangles but you need expert advises, I'm not one.

c-g
08-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Not a max user myself but I'd say it was time to start making normal maps for anything you aren't on top of with a job that big instead of throwing horsepower at it. The horsepower is always nice though.

JorgeIvanovich
08-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I hace read that you need to add /4GB in the boot.ini to make use beyond the 2gb per application,you can try these in the opteron

Sorry for my english :)

JorgeIvanovich
08-11-2005, 01:53 PM
sorry another comment here it[s an extract from some page in microsoft website

Only Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Windows 2000 Datacenter Server are required to support more than 4 GB of physical memory. (See Table 2-2.) Using the AWE Win32 functions, 32bit user processes can allocate and control large amounts of physical memory on these systems.

mustique
08-11-2005, 04:02 PM
AFAIK loading 15 million poly scenes is unfortunately not possible as of today.
I don't think that optimizations in your 3D app would help here either.

Your best bet IMO would be taking your big CAD scene and export stuff one by one.
Then open parts of the scene/scenes in Max, make several renders of small scenes and put them all together in Photoshop.

deathman20
08-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Not professional here, I ran into a similar situation when I was doing a final project for college last year. I use 3D Max and I was running into well very slow rendering times with relativley low poly count. Eventually it got to extremly high poly count where it wasn't possible to use the default render with shadows.

I got vray finaly and it solved the polygon issue. I could render more, have more detail in the scenes and yet have shadows. The default render for max only supports so many polygons really, which well stinks, but Vray solved my problem currently. I don't know if you up for switching to a new program but you might want to check out XSI's 5.0 They got some nifty memory management features in there new version and really looks like a good program to test out, when they release a Demo of it.

Srek
08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
AFAIK loading 15 million poly scenes is unfortunately not possible as of today.
It is possible with a 64 Bit app like CINEMA 4D or the announced 64 Bit versions of LW and XSI.
I tested CINEMA 4D 64 Bit with scenes containing up to 50 Million polygons. Editorspeed was slow but it does work
Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.