PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to fix symmetry when modeling a head?

frontjibi
08-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Sometimes it works but then again, it doesn't. I tryed to mirrior the head but still i ge some problems.

What do you think i can do to fix the symmetry?

frontjibi
08-10-2005, 07:08 PM
And could you please tell me EXACTLY what rendering does? I don't quite understand it. you render an object. But what does it do. Is it like a final work or something? Why is it important?

Phyrea
08-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Rendering occurs in Layout. Basically rendering takes your object/scene/animation and rasterizes it based upon the colors, textures, and lighting that you've setup. The quality depends entirely on your settings and how much effort you've put into lighting and texturing.

Typically if I want to "fix" symmetry, I just delete half my head and mirror it. however, you must be certain that the middle points are exactly at the center of your mirror axis (for me, X-axis).

Skywatcher
08-10-2005, 08:53 PM
To make your object symmetric, just use Pmirror (very cool FREE plug).
One click and BAMMM!:bounce: Symmetry.
You can find it on Flay.com
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1794 http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

telamon
08-10-2005, 11:00 PM
And could you please tell me EXACTLY what rendering does? I don't quite understand it. you render an object. But what does it do. Is it like a final work or something? Why is it important?

strange question on a professionnal forum.

What do you do if you don't render ?

frontjibi
08-11-2005, 01:09 AM
I still don't get it right. Even with that plug-in. How do i make sure the points are straight on X-axis. I delete one half of the head. I tryed that mirror plug-in. And my head disappears. What happend? My center line points aren't straight. How do I align them?

private
08-11-2005, 01:34 AM
1. Make sure the head is centered. (F2)
2. Delete half the head.
3. Select all the center points and use set value on the x axis.
4. Mirror the head.

Rendering makes your pictures pretty, or frustrates the hell out of you until you can make them pretty. This is definately a read the manual type of situation. Since the demo version is no where to be seen and can't be downloaded (for some crazy reason) I assume....nevermind, I won't assume anything.

frontjibi
08-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Oh and my Numeric panel doesn't work. Let say if choose Box tool. press N for it. Now i get the box. But when i try to add poloygons in Numeric panel, it doesn't show anything. It stays the same. The action in numeric panel doesn't apply to that of rectangle in perspective and other views.
What's up with that?
What's wrong with it?

Phyrea
08-11-2005, 02:08 AM
Oh and my Numeric panel doesn't work. Let say if choose Box tool. press N for it. Now i get the box. But when i try to add poloygons in Numeric panel, it doesn't show anything. It stays the same. The action in numeric panel doesn't apply to that of rectangle in perspective and other views.
What's up with that?
What's wrong with it?
Contact NewTek tech support. Their phone number is on their website.

Eddie_rossi
08-11-2005, 04:54 AM
Fronjibi: There's alot of things you won't understand, And since your fresh out of the box, and I know the basics, I will help you out the same way people helped me, Even though there are great basic tutorials and everything is explained well on newteks webpage. :) If you got AIM or YAHOO, PM it to me..

doc sampson
08-11-2005, 05:14 PM
First center the head (F2 Key)
Select half the polys and hit the v key (set value). Set it to zero on the x axis.
Delete those polys you have selected.
Now hit Shift + V (mirror) and then hit the n key (numeric). Make sure merge is selected.
That should do it.

whereisanykey
08-12-2005, 01:54 PM
You may also want to knife the center before you delete and then when mirroring be sure to merge points.

Niklas Collin
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
This is what I do if I manage to break symmetry:

select Volume selection mode
select the broken half
delete it
select the other half (not just all of the geometry! If you don't have points in the middle, this will help you out)
use mirror tool to copy the half
merge points

After you've done that a couple of times you can do all that in about 5 seconds. Since I don't get broken symmetry too often I think the lost time is manageable :D

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.