PDA

View Full Version : Give us the old school techniques, please !

nikopol_gfx
08-10-2005, 04:10 PM
I've recently read lot of old cgtalk archives, and found some interesting old school tips, like volumetric lights with a cone, and other stuff like that. Those tricks can save many hours of rendering time, and make the work easier. Especially the workarounds from "5.6 age" are interesting.

I wish I could hear more from experienced users, if it's possible. Wharever you've got, modelling, surfacing etc.

Have a nice day !

(And pls excuse my bad english;-)

glassefx
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I have to agree with your gist... The sum of old techniques are greater than their parts.

Nothing mind-bending but I like playing with heiarchies achieved thru certain parenting structures. Back in 5.6 days LW's motion channels were tied together (I'm sure there is a technically correct term for this) but what I did thru null objects and parenting was stack or blend motions on the same object by moving an objects parent(s). Imagine a BIPED rig having like four wrist IK targets whilst the targets themselves are a parented heiarchy. I also remember parenting two lights to a null while one light is "seperated" from the other to more precisely control its lens-flair glow-only and the other is purly for physical light. I have more books than I would like to have exactly on this subject which I could share somehow? I remember one LW book illustrating a tank-tread thru bones which keep them on their respected wheels. This is combined with a morph somehow...

T4D
08-10-2005, 11:24 PM
instead of using Particles to control HD instance I uses the old LW Worm method

here goes

In Modeler
layer 1 you have a flat plain with a bone chain in the direct you want you HD instances to move ( have as many bones as you need to get a smooth track )

layer 2 have just a copy of the flat plain send to layout ( no bones for this layer )
AND add a endomorphs and move it to the end of the bone chain

Now convert bones and rotation the bones to form the track you want (or over a hill or whatever )

for layer 2 add a dummy bone ( then turn it off ) and then click "uses bones from object "
( and select layer 1 ) and select used morphed position and uses the endomorphs to move the flat plain along the bone chain :)

NO cal time, easy to edit AND you can uses endomorphs to effect the HD's as well :thumbsup:

HD instance was not around back in LW 5.6 days, But those methods are still better then what the "New" Newtek has added over the last few years :rolleyes:

Tee Double U
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
A quick "google" with keywords "lightwave, 5.6, tutorials" gave alot of interesting leads.. also , you can search the comp.graphics.apps.lightwave newsgroups,, there is alot of history there if you want to look back to the older ways of doing things

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.