PDA

View Full Version : Modeller vertex map bugs...

geoff3dnz
08-10-2005, 02:14 PM
We have recently discovered a horrible bug in Modeller: (I haven't seen it mentioned before, so I'd thought I'd post it here)

1. When deleting an object's vertex map, if another object is currently open in modeller as well and happens to have a vertex map of the same name, this map will be DELETED TOO.

EDIT : removed second part of bug - unable to reproduce.

Surely this can not be right...

Hoopti
08-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Make sure you post it on the Newtek site, or get it to the bug report part of Newtek. If this is true, and I haven't tested it, this is a huge issue.

Hoop

geoff3dnz
08-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Yep, already sent it to Newtek.

Rod Seffen
08-10-2005, 06:00 PM
That's not really a bug. It's always done that as far back as I can remember.

geoff3dnz
08-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Define it however you want. Modeller making changes to models you aren't even working on is an immensely stupid and bad thing to do.

toonafish
08-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I reported that one to Newtek a long time ago. The reply I got was something along the lines of what Oddity says; it's just the way LW works. It seems vmaps are not stored separately for every object. They are in memory, some objects use them and some don't.

Layout seems to handle vmaps the same way. You always get a list of all the weigtmaps in the scene, even those you couldn't even use in a surface or a bone because they are from another object
Also when you replace an object with a completey different one all the maps from the deleted object stay in the scene untill you reload the it. Sometimes that's very confusing because you have to check what weigtmaps are actualy in the object in modeler if you can't remember.

Rod Seffen
08-11-2005, 08:23 AM
Exactly. Take a look in the surface editor, where you choose the UV map for your material, and it lists every UV map from every object you currently have open in modeler, niot just the ones in the object you're working on.
It seems to put the vmaps in a global repository rather than a local one, hence why it deletes them in that way as well.

kretin
08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I tend to think of it as a bug too, but...

What I do is (almost) never delete maps, but just "Clear Map". If no geometry in the object is using a vertex map, the map won't be saved with the object, effectively deleting it from the object without removing it from any other objects.

Hoopti
08-20-2005, 01:46 AM
As always Kretin, excellent tip. For some reason that one had never crossed my mind.

Hoop

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2005, 01:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.