PDA

View Full Version : It has begun...XSI 3.0

wmendez
10-31-2002, 05:43 PM
http://www.digitalanimators.com/2002/10_oct/news/xsi_v3.htm

stump
10-31-2002, 05:55 PM
Well thats nice...Looking forward to hear some coments soon!!!

Stump:bounce: :bounce:

SheepFactory
10-31-2002, 06:24 PM
its shipping but still no news at the softimage website :shrug:

when do they plan to update the site?

visualboo
10-31-2002, 06:32 PM
Stoked :beer:

MaDSheeP
10-31-2002, 06:45 PM
XSI? :Grin:

jk ;)

icedeyes
10-31-2002, 07:03 PM
I want XSI 3 NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW..... I gotta save some money.... Sell the car.... And I will have it..... Muhahahahahahahahaha..... Hmmmm.... What i meant is.... Good news for all softimage users.....

Luke Werhli
10-31-2002, 07:34 PM
Below, a review in Computer Arts Mag.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/reviews/review.asp?id=1000
this is the quintessential 3D app everyone's been waiting for. Go get.

What else can I say? Spetacular.
Version 2.0 was incredible, but it was still lacking some features. And now XSI 3.0 is the best 3d app around.

alphatron
10-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Only if you have the $7000.

kamikazerussell
10-31-2002, 08:38 PM
YES!!!!

jsh3d
10-31-2002, 09:42 PM
Sweet :D :D! Now, if only I could afford it ;). I'm still stuck at 1.5 :shrug: . Its good enough for me :).

-Jsh3d

TEMPO
10-31-2002, 10:38 PM
:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! awesomeeee!!!!!!!

iMag
10-31-2002, 11:36 PM
luckily i'm a student still. i should be recieving my copy in about 3-4 weeks which is easily too long.

HapZungLam
11-01-2002, 12:34 AM
don't know when will Seneca get its version :shame:

googlo
11-01-2002, 12:42 AM
Do they sell it without the compositing program?

ggg
11-01-2002, 12:56 AM
should be available for DL, in fact I think this may be the only way for students with autoupgrade based on recent purchase to get it.

cannot be bought without compositing

Hey Will stop tricking, it hasn't begun just yet...hopefully tommorrow

visualboo
11-01-2002, 01:37 AM
Will, you bastard. ;)

wmendez
11-01-2002, 01:45 AM
Well, the process has started ;) at least you know that particles will be included with Essentials now and Cloth for Advance, some sites are reviewing it and maybe tomorrow is the big announcement from Soft themselves :cool:

santiago
11-01-2002, 04:35 AM
Cool!

HapZungLam, you still study at Seneca?
I took the DMA 2-year program there, in the Seneca@York campus.

Per-Anders
11-01-2002, 04:52 AM
i'd love to try XSI as I've heard so much about it, but being mac based that's a little tricky. still sometime when i finally get round to putting in a few dual athlons for a render farm i might get their learning edition or whtaever it is they call it to see what all the fuss is about.

i'm curious though, what's the modelling like in it? closer in flow and style to maya, or to lightwave (which i think has such a wonderful modeller). i'm talking the poly side of things here obviously.

ggg
11-01-2002, 05:52 AM
OK no trick now its available for DL

Vic3k
11-01-2002, 05:59 AM
http://www.softimage.com/download/xsi/
indeed, for someone who doesn't know the way around soft site

xmb
11-01-2002, 08:51 AM
yay, it's out. with a nice revamped website: WWW.SOFTIMAGE.COM

ThirdEye
11-01-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
i'd love to try XSI as I've heard so much about it, but being mac based that's a little tricky. still sometime when i finally get round to putting in a few dual athlons for a render farm i might get their learning edition or whtaever it is they call it to see what all the fuss is about.

i'm curious though, what's the modelling like in it? closer in flow and style to maya, or to lightwave (which i think has such a wonderful modeller). i'm talking the poly side of things here obviously.

XSI has a wonderful poly modeler, maybe the best I've ever seen, it's close to Max 5 modeler and LW modeler. Maya poly modeler sux.

Freestyler
11-01-2002, 03:11 PM
$7000,-??? why so much?

Vic3k
11-01-2002, 03:12 PM
well maya poly modeller doesn't suck, rather unintuitive and clumsy but with good settings (till you click throught all of them) you get the job done

beaker
11-01-2002, 04:32 PM
>>Do they sell it without the compositing program?

The compositing only comes with XSI advanced($14k I think).

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v3/Pricing/

playmesumch00ns
11-01-2002, 05:51 PM
depsite being a hardened Maya user, I have to admit that this does indeed look pretty tasty. Can't wait to see how A|W respond!

talos72
11-02-2002, 12:09 AM
To bad for the back-breaking price! Still saving up for my dual athlon system! Let me know when XSI becomes affordable.

googlo
11-02-2002, 06:42 AM
I wonder why they don't seperate the compositor from the 'advanced' features like cloth, softbody dynmaics, and hair/fur?!

It's like they are saying, "Well, if you really want the whole CGi program itself, you are going to need to by the compositor as well!" That's not very dynamic or buyer friendly! :| I wonder why they are doing that.

SheepFactory
11-02-2002, 06:48 AM
probably beacuse xsi|advanced is being marketed as "your one stop solution for production" .

googlo
11-02-2002, 06:59 AM
Yeah but then why sell versions of the program with everything in it BUT hair/fur/cloth/softbodydynamics? Obviously the essential versions aren't following that 'prodution' model, but to me hair/fur/cloth/softbodydynamics ARE essential to have in a full modelling/animating package but compositing isn't. If I want a character to have hair, which is a BASIC thing, it should be there right? The same with cloth, or soft body dynamics, it's all crucial to modelling and animating.

It just seems odd to me that they are doing it that way. IT's like they are purposely cutting the package up making it incomplete so that you have to buy their compositing program if you want the full 3D program, even if you don't want the compositing program, you still have to pay for it anyway! :hmm: That alone is enough to keep some people from saving up for it because the base 3d package is already so expensive and honesty, incomplete. It's really the same that way with Maya, except to a lesser degree

They probably aren't expecting to sell their product to more people like Maya/Max/Lighttwave people are, which doesn't make sense in my opinion because it would mean more money for them besides more people using their product!

Probabbly because they think people wouldn't buy their compositor if they had a choice, but if someone wants the full 3d package, then they will have to buy teh compositor as well: which jumps the price up a lot

beaker
11-02-2002, 04:01 PM
The trouble is when you start selling everything as separate pieces it just becomes a confusing mess. They tried that when maya 1.0 came out. Dynamics, Artisan, Cloth, Fur, Live, and advanced modeling, were all avaliable as packages to be purchased separatly. It was very confusing and it pissed off alot of people, thats why they moved to just having 2 packages. It made life easier for the person purchasing and it made it easier during production. "Aww shit, bob needs a fur license too now".

It makes sence to sell everything separate in theory, but when it comes to actually doing it that way, its just not practical.

googlo
11-02-2002, 04:23 PM
oh yeah I know, that's why I don't understand why they are doing it the way they are, because it is in pieces, and if you want to complete the 'puzzle' you have to buy another whole 'puzzle' to get the rest of the pieces!

I don't know why things like Fur/hair/cloth and dynamic abilities are seperated from the programs like Maya and XSI (roughly speaking). to me those are common things that people would need. But XSI forcing you to buy a whole compositing program (and hence much higher price) along with getting those abilities for the 3Dcgi program seems wrong or a bit not very customer friendly. Of course they are going to do what they are going to do. It's just unfortunate because I think a lot of people won't buy their product because of that because they can't afford what seems forced on people that they shouldn't have to pay for you know? It's like buying Maya complete in the old days to buy a full featured XSI, not because of XSI actually, but because you have to buy a whole compositing program as well. It like drives the price up needlessly! PErsonally I don't see seperating the the compositor from XSI as much of a problem. It's like saying, "Oh you want a soda drink with your burger, then you are going to have to order an ice cream as well to get that soda! :)"

krisr
11-02-2002, 07:09 PM
I personally like the way SoftImage splits up its features between two different packages....it makes perfect sense. In a production environment, not everyone needs hair/fur, cloth and a compositor. For example, we have 14 seats of XSI at our studio. Only 2 of them are advanced....and for us, its perfect. The bulk of our team models, animates and textures only so they have no need to use hair/fur, cloth or the compositor. I wouldn't want one package with everything even it was a tad cheaper. I rather pay the extra price for just a few seats of advanced. IMHO, the price is great! The price is perfect for all the R&D that goes into this product and all the support and service you get....not to mention how much money you save in production time....its gets everything done....faster than anything else! :D

santiago
11-03-2002, 07:24 AM
googlo, you said that "they think people wouldn't buy their compositor". You know, it's usually studios that buy the apps, not people. If you work in a studio, then it should make perfect sense to you that Softimage markets its products the way they do.

I don't work in a studio, so I figure that it's true when I've been explained that all these high-end 3D app creators keep a close connection with the industry, and try to satisfy their needs.

But at the same time you are bringing up a subject which is becoming more and more popular. 3D apps are cheap enough today to be purchased by "people". Besides the apps that are basically given away like Animation Master, the so called High-end apps are available to many people not in the industry. I can't afford any yet, but at this rate, maybe I'll just wait a couple years and buy Maya for 500 bucks. (just kidding)

How much does Photoshop cost, $609 I read at their site?
I can easily see a 3D app doing image-editing too some day, and costing about a thousand bucks. Where would that leave Photoshop? The only difference I guess would be that Photoshop has a print button.
In that exaggerated sense, I think Side Effects, A|W and Softimage's pricing and logic of offering a feature-packed version of their 3D apps works better than other solutions.

What else does the industry have to say about this krisr?
I always wondered how much studios spend on plug-ins, if they do at all.

withanar
11-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Well I do work at a studio, one rather well known for compositing and effects. With all the Flames and Infernos and After Effects seats you'd think we would have no need for the compositor built into XSI but it's just the opposite.

The fact that we can composite, preview, and tweak our render passes in XSI without ever having to leave our workstations, without even having to open another program, means we spend a lot less time interrupting the artists in the Flame suites. That means our company gets to bill clients for more Flame time. At the rates they get for Flame time, it doesn't take very long to pay for the Advanced license... or the entire XSI license for that matter.

There's also another nice aspect of having a capable compositor built into your 3D application. If we're worried that the Flame artist isn't going to use our passes to get the right effect we were after in 3D, we can pre-comp them and send only one pass instead of a handful. Often the Flame artist prefers it this way since he doesn't have to deal with a ton of passes, only what he needs ot get the job done quickly.

Also, XSI's compositor can be faster than flame/inferno for rendering. We have a render farm set up for XSI and it works not just for 3D rendering but also for XSI's compositor. With enough layers and effects in a comp, the farm beats a single Inferno.

We figured all of this out because the compositor was included with XSI, so we used it. If it weren't, there's no way our boss would have justified spending extra money to buy compositing applications for all us 3D guys. :)

psil
11-03-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie

Yo. I'm from a LW background (+ some Maya), but am using XSI now. In flow and style, XSI modeling is probably more like Maya. If you're used to LW, you might find XSI less intuitive and quick. Its main advantage is that you can directly select and multiply edges rather than just points and polys - no need for edgetool plugins and cleaning up unwanted polys like with extender.

Don't get me wrong, I think XSI ia as good a modeler as LW, but it isn't six times better, as the price might suggest (and neither is the render engine). I think what you're paying for with XSI is the character animation/ soft body dynamic etc tools - plus real NURBS and all sorts of spline trickery- AND THESE ARE FRICKIN' FANTASTIC!!

hth.

Chris Thomas
11-04-2002, 12:34 PM
"spline trickery" You mean XSI not having them, splines that is? is that the trickery?

Chris Thomas

psil
11-04-2002, 01:04 PM
No! XSI has 'em and you can get 'em to do all sorts of path animation and geometry extrusions and deformations that aren't so easy in LW

wmendez
11-04-2002, 03:42 PM
psil,

you got that right, try doing a defrom by curve in LW and compare it to the 2 clicks in XSI ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.