PDA

View Full Version : Maya 7: the deal breaker

Julez4001
08-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Several new features in Maya that sort of "borrow" the Lightwave modeling and animating flow.

1. Their blendshapes now have the endomorph ability to edit the base object and it propogates to the "morphs"
2. Now they can replace thier mesh objects with updates or new objects all together keeping the original "weight maps".
3. the IK control of MotionBuilder that really puts IK Booster to shame.

What do you guys think?
ermmm...keep it positive.

plotz
08-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't think adding these few features that are "lightwave-like" are a reason to jump ship...if that's the question you're asking. (Or should I say I don't think it's the right reason.)

If a Lightwave user is jumping to Maya it should be because they want the entire Maya feature set at their disposal. Multiple modeling topologies. Multiple rendering technologies. Integrated workflow...etc.

You also need to consider cost. Maya is $2K...which is a fair price. However you need to spend $1500 or so a year to keep up with the updates, either through maintenance contracts or per update charges. If you get more than a point version behind you have to pay the full price for an upgrade. To spend that kind of money for only a few features that are similar to another package isn't worth it IMO.

There's no doubt the new Maya 7 features are slick...but you get what you pay for:)

Zarathustra
08-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd expect all companies to do more stealing of features from each other in the future. It's very competitive right now, which is great for us.

Maya is a tough one for a soloist like me. Yeah, a lot to learn but the big thing is expense like the updates plotz mentioned as well as seats of MR. LW has me spoiled allowing 999 rendernodes.

private
08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I'd expect all companies to do more stealing of features from each other in the future. It's very competitive right now, which is great for us.

Maya is a tough one for a soloist like me. Yeah, a lot to learn but the big thing is expense like the updates plotz mentioned as well as seats of MR. LW has me spoiled allowing 999 rendernodes.

That's the most positive thing you've ever said on this forum. Amazing.

Zarathustra
08-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Right. Sorry to disappoint. How's this?:
LW has a lot of stealing to do. :D

essencedesign
08-10-2005, 04:16 PM
Jeeze I've been seeing so much doom n' gloom talk about LW lately....I am impressed with the changes for 9....some things are missing that we all would have liked to see...but from a production and budget standpoint it's still one of the top choices.....

You could add Sasquatch, G2, IFW, Pyro, all of the Worly gear actually...and perhaps even RealFlow then have a toolset near Maya Unlimited for $1000's less.....( i'm not adding this up in my head so I could be wrong. :shrug: )..

Future still looks bright to me.... :thumbsup:

Zarathustra
08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
Hair is a biggie. All we really have for LW is Sasquatch and it's a pain (I just got re-aquainted with it last week). I've recently bugged Worley about it as well as Hurley for not having Hairspray for Mac.

LW Unlimited - LW with all the Worley "modules" :p

Darth Mole
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I'd really like to see Hairspray - he has at least given us Sherpa (splines to hairs), which speeds things up a bit. But without a tool like Hairspray, creating long hair is just too damn hard - unless you live in Alaska and have nothing better to do...

Zarathustra
08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
LOL!!! nice.

telamon
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
unless you live in Alaska and have nothing better to do...

I think Tim Albee has Hair spray anyway :D

mlmiller1983
08-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Hopefully we will get a better Sasquatch soon(as in a year or two) that will be as integrated now as FPrime and G2 are.

essencedesign
08-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Well in seeing what the man has done so far with LW ..I expect to see more great things from him in the very near future, :buttrock:

samartin
08-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Hmmm speculation alert, normally hate this kinda thing but...

F-Prime 2, G2 and when is Sasquatch 2 out?

Darth Mole
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Here's a pretty view of the future: Sasquatch and a version of Hairspray that works in Layout, realtime previewing in FPrime and with shadow and lighting control all via G2(.5)...

(sigh)

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 07:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.