PDA

View Full Version : Proton: Morph Tut.

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 04:40 PM
Hey Proton (or anyone else who wants to add something),

What's up with the really useless tutorial on Creating a morph target on Newtek's site? I mean, I went to the tutorials page hoping to be able to learn something about how to create a morph target for an item and was surprised that the tutorial only shows one small thing that I already knew from reading the manual... It seems it would almost be better to not have this tutorial at all... Any chance of getting a better tutorial on this sometime? Thanks!

proton
10-31-2002, 04:48 PM
First ...I would disagree with you 100% about this being a useless tutorial...I've gotten many emails from users who have liked the tut....

Secondly...If that tutorial isn't what you need, you'll need to be more specific on what you are looking for....Creating Morph targets is quite simple...what part are you confused on?

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 04:54 PM
Well, as to what I'm confused about, I do know from other tutorials how morph targets can be used, but I don't know what the steps are for actually creating a morph target. It seems that the tutorial could benifit from showing some object, then the morphed object, then how you go about using that as a morph target. The simple explanation on the page seems useless to me because it just says "Choose NEW from the Morph pop-up"... well, to me that seems pretty self explanatory... but what does that apply to? When should I do that? before I create the morphed object? It leaves much to be desired... Maybe those who found the tutorial useful were looking only for the "NEW" button under the "Morph pop-up", but I was hoping for more... Thanks for the quick response though... I appreciate your time!

DigitalDeuce
10-31-2002, 05:00 PM
Here's the problem as I see it.

You're looking for a tutorial on "doing my problem" - and unless we hire a PreCog in the LightWave tutorial division, there's no way to know or do everyone's problem as a tutorial.

Here's what you can do.

On the tutorials main page is this:

Tutorial Ideas?
lwtutorials@newtek.com

Submit ideas for tutorials! But please, these tutes do help a lot of people, and bashing one because it didn't help you is unfair.

Also, remember what these tutorials cost you -- nada. And what they cost the people that do them is time and effort. They get nothing out of it, other than the feeling that they are helping the community.

You can do your part to help the community as well.

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 05:05 PM
DigitalDeuce,

Hmm.. strange... it would seem that my request is not something just for me, but instead is something that I think would help everyone... The better the tutorial, the more other people can learn from it. I think you are completely wrong when you say that I just want something for my particular situation. I was simply hoping to find something useful. Now, I'll give you the benifit of the doubt and assume you haven't seen this tutorial or that you and I are thinking of some different tutorial, but the one I'm describing from the Lightwave tutorials page listed under MORPH, doesn't seem to describe very much when compared to some of the other great tutorials on the page... I simply think it would be more useful to have more information in a tutorial than a small picture and some text saying click on NEW. It just seems a bit weak.

proton
10-31-2002, 05:08 PM
please send a link:
Lightwave tutorials page listed under MORPH

which one are you talking about

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 05:09 PM
Here's a link to the tutorial I'm talking about.

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/vertexpaint/morph/morph1_ai.html

Thanks again guys for your help with this.

policarpo
10-31-2002, 05:11 PM
yo Oxygen.. which tutorial are you talking about...you've ranted and raved on and on about what is wrong...

how about a link so we can see what you're fussing about.

:)

DigitalDeuce
10-31-2002, 05:13 PM
I was referencing this tute:

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/animation/endomorphs/index.html

Take a look at this one, mabye it'll help more.

Sorry for the confusion.

The tute that you referenced was "inside vertex paint" usage. That's where you learn about Vertex Paint and doing morph control with it.

Try the one that I listed above, might help better.

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Policarpo,

Please see the post directly above yours for what you requested.

proton
10-31-2002, 05:15 PM
First ...You are in teh Vertex Docs tutorial....so you got lost....:D

Secondly....Here is what you are looking for (I think)

http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/animation/endomorphs/index.html

It's 3 pages long...that should do the trick....

fourd
10-31-2002, 05:15 PM
I don't know what he's talking about, there is no specific morph tutorial on the LW site that I saw, but this Facial Setup tut covers endomorphs in-depth, Facial Setup (http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/animation/endomorphs/index.html)

policarpo
10-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Also Oxygen...Page 866 of 1078 in the Lightwave 7 PDF manual (28.42 is the start of it if you're looking in your physical manual) shows you how to create Morph targets to be animated with Morph Mixer.

hope this helps.

Endormorphs are a very powerful and easy way of animating. Good luck with it.

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 05:17 PM
OK, cool... this does seem more like what I was looking for... so I guess now my question is what is the other tutorial that I saw supposed to be for? Oh, and sorry for being so stupid so as to not realize I was in the Vertex Paint area...

DaveW
10-31-2002, 05:18 PM
That's just one very small part of a much larger tutorial on how to use Vertex Paint. It's not a morphing tutorial. If you want to know how to use morphs, the manual explains it pretty well, page 28.44.

DigitalDeuce
10-31-2002, 05:19 PM
http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/vertexpaint/index.html

This is the first page of the "Vertex Paint" docs - and will answer most questions.

Hey, glad we could help ya out!

DaveW
10-31-2002, 05:19 PM
Damn you guys are fast. 7 replies in the time it took to type mine :)

DigitalDeuce
10-31-2002, 05:21 PM
We almost "S W A R M" don't we?

:airguitar :airguitar :buttrock:

digital-douche
11-01-2002, 06:43 AM
Wow, thats not the normal Proton/Digital-Deuce brown-nosing I'm used to. You really ganged up on that guy didn't you. Bravo. I sure hope that this level of community involvment continues. Absolutly stellar. Lightwave users rock!!!
:buttrock:

proton
11-01-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm curious as to what you mean by Brown- Nosing, and ganging up....

As a new user what are you used to?

oxygen_77
11-01-2002, 01:23 PM
good question Proton because I didn't at all feel ganged up on.. if anything I felt like I was getting lots of help with my complaint (which turned out to be my mistake). Weird...

proton
11-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Exactly.......you were up and going in minutes....but then again I always wanted to be in a gang :p

digital-douche
11-04-2002, 01:48 AM
Edit by Mike_RB: This post failed to contribute usefully in any way to the Lightwave forum. I'm locking this thread.