PDA

View Full Version : wip - thug head texture test.

baaah888
08-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Hey guys, im trying to work on my hand painting, so decided to do a quick modelling and texturing exercise.

the texture is 100% hand painted, no photo sourceing, didn't even use a photo for refrence as perfect anatomy wasn't the point.

The main crit i need is on the face texture, im still working on the ears and hair, so not to much crit for them yet.

not to bothered about the model as far as crit counts cause this is mainly a texture test.

http://www.gamingart.co.uk/ODD/thughead01.jpg

cheers

baaah

SneakyBiscuit
08-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I think texturing a human head for you will be easier if you model a head from reference and make it with more realistice proportions. It will give you a better idea of where to put highlights, shadows, creasing, overlapping flesh, and whatever else.
For texturing, stare at photo reference for a long time. Feel your own face as you look at the face muscles/bones in an anatomy book. Either texture your model using photo reference, or attempt to hand paint it so it looks exactly the same. That is the challenge I believe.
See ya

SHEPEIRO
08-10-2005, 11:58 AM
i disagree with sneakybiscuit, i like the stylised painted look esp. round the mouth and nose, but i have a couple of crits.

the stubble and the hair both need greater contrast, at that detail you should be able see some idividual hairs. perhaps the beard could be a little patchier. the edge is too neat a line give it some noise

i think the colour round the ears is a little yellow and perhaps needs matching with the face a little more and the insides are too dark/red.

other than that looking very promising

SHEPEIRO
08-10-2005, 12:02 PM
oh yeah

im not too sure about those eyebrow either look a little neat as if they are combed.

i think a thug wouldnt comb his eyebrows, but hey who knows?

Dyrn
08-10-2005, 12:05 PM
what sticks out at me is the swooping, curved stubble line- it looks almost like he was wearing goggles and rubbed his face in something.

Also, the saturation of the ear sort of jibes with the rest. very purpley.

kOmoo
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
The texture looks to drawn, as Sneaky said use references, your eyes looks a little to unaturel to.

baaah888
08-10-2005, 04:46 PM
thanks for the replys guys. should have mentioned, the reason im not using refrences is cause i dont want him to look realistic, so im not going for perfect realism anywhere.

apart from that...

SneakyB - yeah i know that using an actual refrence would be good, but thats the next project. im gonna be modelling a head and photo texturing it, so i wanted to stay away from realism as much as possible and just practice painting in general,

SHEP - thanks glad yu like the style im going for, the ears aren't done yet so they'restill the colout of the base fill texture at the moment ;) and the eyebrows, didn't notice they looked so neat but they're on a seperate layer so thats easily fixed :)

the stuble, yeah im having a few problems with that, push the contrast further and it looks funny so im gonna have to work on fixing that today, thats also on a seperate layer so not a massive problem either :)

Dyrn - working on the ear and sideburns bit today to make it look more natural, its all seperate layers so hopefully the blending shouldn't be too difficult.

KOmoo - the textures meant to look drawn, thats the main focus of my aims, im not trying for 100% realism. yeah the eyes are a touch funny, i'll work on them today to.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.