PDA

View Full Version : Animating without Dongle

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 01:43 PM
I noticed the other day that I was able to remove the Dongle during the rendering of an animation without causing errors within Lightwave or with the finished animation. This then theoretically means I can start an animation rendering at the end of the workday on my work computer and then take the dongle home so I can use Lightwave at home. Then I could return in the morning and have a completed animation on my work computer. Has anyone else noticed this? The reason I bring this up is because the copy of Lightwave is mine, it is not owned by the company I work for. I was wondering about the Legality of doing what I described. Thanks!

twinkletoes
10-31-2002, 02:07 PM
i think i read some where that if you have the duo dongle it allows you to switch between platforms (mac/pc) so you can render on one machine while working on the other.

not sure about how legal doing that on the same platform would be though, have you asked newtek?

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 02:13 PM
I haven't asked Newtek... I noticed that people like Proton and other Newtek employees frequent this forum so I figured I would ask here... this way I get the opinion of people from Newtek and people who aren't working for Newtek.

ToddG
10-31-2002, 02:28 PM
does this company use lightwave for its business? if so they should just buy a legit copy for you to use no?

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 02:33 PM
The copy of Lightwave is Legit... I own it though because I wanted experience with Lightwave (Before that I was using Blender to create the 3D models for work). The company doesn't want to spend extra money on 3D apps when we have perfectly good copies of AutoCAD 2002 laying around, but I wanted some experience in some different 3D applications. To them it doesn't matter what it was rendered in, just what it looks like in the end.

ThreeDBFX
10-31-2002, 03:24 PM
That's crazy.

I always thought that you shouldn't remove the dongle while the computer is turned on. I heard that it could cause problems.

Interesting...

manfriday
10-31-2002, 03:35 PM
USB is ok to remove.. parallel im thinking is not such a good idea to remove while the pc is on.

red_oddity
10-31-2002, 04:28 PM
Why not? I've removed worse things from a running computer than a parallel dongle (though i must add, the computer doesn't work when the processor gets removed violently, and spinning heat fans hurt your fingers (it's like trying to check whether the light in the fridge really goes out when you close the door:p ))

MC T-Roc
10-31-2002, 04:29 PM
I do the same thing when setting up rendernodes, load up lightwave, hit render, move dongle to the next machine...

I'm the only LW user using my copy.

I do this because LWSN can be tricky over several machines, and if one goes down, there goes your render. Network rendering is one of the weakest part of LW, IMO, as far as ease of use.

7.5 OSX USB dongle

T

oxygen_77
10-31-2002, 04:33 PM
OK, well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one doing this... I was hoping that rendering animations without the Dongle wasn't some horrible thing that the good people who legitimately use Lightwave would never think to do.

Eugeny
10-31-2002, 05:58 PM
U can render with LWSN without dongle ...

-wT-
10-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by red_oddity
Why not? I've removed worse things from a running computer than a parallel dongle (though i must add, the computer doesn't work when the processor gets removed violently, and spinning heat fans hurt your fingers (it's like trying to check whether the light in the fridge really goes out when you close the door:p ))

If you haven't broken anything, that doesn't mean it's good thing to do :p

Like me, I've hot-plugged manymany things from my machine too, but just recently broke the midi-/gameport of my older SB Live! by hot-unplugging it.

I think, if I remember correctly, that it has got something to do with the grounding and potential differences between the devices and cables, which can cause a current spike when you hot-plug the cord.
Like for an example the new Serial ATA harddrives are hot-pluggable because the grounding pins on the cable and HD are the first things to touch each other in the connectors, making it hot-pluggable.

So, don't try this at home kids!

CTRL+X
10-31-2002, 06:18 PM
Trust me, Eventually removing the dongle while comp is on will catch up to you!!!!! I fried mine that way!! and never run a "Search for new hardware" wizard with a dongle in port... that can fry it too!!!

A dongle is a very delicate thing

Chuck Baker
10-31-2002, 07:40 PM
Actually if you just read the software license in the manual you'll see that the intent is that you run the software on just one machine at a time. Running it on two machines simultaneously by any means is not licensed. There is a perfectly appropriate route to rendering on as many machines as you have, and that is the Snet executable, which our Tech Support staff will happily help you to get that operating if you are having difficulties.

Chuck

CG.p
10-31-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by oxygen_77
The company doesn't want to spend extra money on 3D apps when we have perfectly good copies of AutoCAD 2002 laying around

...but they aren't charging for or releasing anything you produce with LW right? :)

Not only would screamernet be legal, it would allow you to swipe the other machines.

Lightnet DOES work with LW7.5 I've used it on some of the last projects I had just to render on the dongleless computers here.

proton
10-31-2002, 07:58 PM
Thanx for making it very clear for us Chuck....drop by and see us more often :wavey:

SplineGod
11-01-2002, 02:41 AM
rob powers has a nice little tutorial for setting up lightnet,a free render controller at www.robpowers.com

proton
11-01-2002, 02:46 AM
Thanx for the link!

Fasty
11-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Not that I have used it much, just on the home network, but Lightnet when sussed out is awesome! I haven't actually tried using screamernet without it, so I can't compare, but the fact that it looks for missing frames from crashed computers etc is fantastic!

Ed Bittner
11-01-2002, 12:52 PM
When I got my brand spankin' new copy of LW6, on page 10.22 of the "Animate & Render" volume from the 3 book owners manual,( last page by the way), I was shocked to read the heading " Rendering Without Lightwave". I cracked up! Couldn't help it, (being that there's always a thread somewhere about dongle this, hardware lock that). I'm not gonna go into how it's done right now and I know that isn't what is being discussed here, but if anybody out there is ever strapped for cash,you could always bet a fellow "waver" that you can do this this with Lightwave, then walk away with any and all the money that they would put up.
Wow! WAY too much coffee this morning,
Ed

oxygen_77
11-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Chuck,

Thanks for the info... One question though... I just read the Software License in the Manual and it seems that loading the software on more than one machine at a time is a violation of the license. If this is true then how can someone use network rendering? To render over a network requires that the software be distributed between the RAM of several computers at once which is in violation of the license. I'm no lawer, but it seems the license should read that no more than one person may use the software at one time per license otherwise there can be no such thing as network rendering... Is this true? Thanks!

SplineGod
11-01-2002, 04:08 PM
The license is referring to layout and modeler. Screamernet is different. You are allowed to run muliple copies of screamernet which is just the render engine.

CG.p
11-01-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by oxygen_77
I just read the Software License in the Manual and it seems that loading the software on more than one machine at a time is a violation of the license

Usually "loaded" means running. I know of many people that do something similar to the original post where they take the dongle with them but aren't running the program still.

Back in the Amiga days there was a Mac emulator that required Mac rom images. Apple stated that you COULD do that as long as the real mac was powered down during the emulation. :)

It is all funny laywer talk but I can't blame anyone for protecting their butt like that.

Software licenses usually state that the owner (not us) can take your copy back from you.

jfornasar
11-02-2002, 01:54 AM
Going back a few messages to the "removing the dongle while the computer is on" question...

I've been using a "four channel data switch" box for years, I have my LW dongle, the Shave and Haircut dongle, a Laplink cable and an external CD burner attached to it.

There are several advantages to using a switch box...

I don't leave the LW dongle in work, so by switching the box to another channel I can just remove it.

With the box on my desk, I'm not reaching around the computer and trying to insert it or remove it blindly.

It maybe due to the fact that the box has been used for years, but the port is not as tight as the port on the computer (which gets upgraded quite often), so I don't worry about broken pins.

Just ensure that the box you use has a "dead" spot when going between channels. I've been using a pair of Belkin Data Switch boxes, but in a previous thread (about a year ago on one of the newsgroups) someone mentioned they got burned using a cheap box that shorted out when switching channels.

Jimzip
11-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I used to model stuff, and move everything in my scenes to Lightwave, start rendering, then go to school. Since I did everything on my laptop, I had to take out the dongle while LW was running and put the computer to sleep so I could put it in its case. Everything worked fine except when changing apps, when I would get a "Dongle error" message... Oops. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.