PDA

View Full Version : Film Festivals?

donShole
08-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question. Anyway, when a short film is submitted to film festivals does the owner(s) or a representative have to attend each festival? If not what measures are typically in place to protect the property?

niotxx
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi there,

From what i've seen around in my research, its up to the festival. Out here in Australia, there are film festivals that you don't have to go to if your film makes it. That being said, there are others that you do have to attend. I personally think if you have the financial resources to attend, then its a really good idea to. You can make so many contacts in the industry and possibly land yourself a really good job just by showing up. If you can't make it because of funding issues, check out your local film funding bodies. Out here in Oz, we have the Australian Film Commission who supply travel grants which you can apply for. The alternative is to try and hook a producer to come on board as an executive producer (just gives you the money) and you can get there. Some festivals even provide the accomodation and travel for you or if not you might get discounted rates at places to stay around the festival.

In response to you second question, I'm not really sure what you're asking? Are you refering to looking after the rights of your film?

- stace

donShole
08-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your response niotxx. Useful insights in it. Yes, I was in fact referring to protecting the rights to a film especially in ones absence.

Jeepy
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Thanks for your response niotxx. Useful insights in it. Yes, I was in fact referring to protecting the rights to a film especially in ones absence.

The rights will remain the same if your there or not. Of course you have to protect your movie before sending it to a movie festival!! :)

But if you can afford to go to the festivals: GO!! Go take you applause and the crits, it useful, cool and usually welcome. And between you and me there's always a little something to see your name on a screen when there's hundreds of people watching it. What I like to do is face the audience while they watch my movie. You always look weird but it helps alot to see which part of the movie needs improvement and which part works really well.

Don't worry too much about you rights if you are not there, as I said protect it corectly before sending it anywhere.

Cheers!!

donShole
08-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks Jeepy. I'm nearing the end of my first short and wanted to make sure I have basic info about film festivals.

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 10:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.