PDA

View Full Version : What type of user are you?

JeffB
08-09-2005, 01:52 PM
I'm looking to satisfy my curiuosity. I wonder how many people here use Ligthwave professsionally; to make money? How many people use Lightwave as a hobby or student? And do you think that matters to the overall program/development of Lightwave.

It seems to me that Ligthwave has a large hobby/student base and a rather smaller professional base. I could be wrong in this, which is why I ask. It seems to me that Newtek is lowering the price point in order to attract more hobbyists and student users.

BTW, I use Lightwave (and Maya) professionally. Though I have used many other 3D apps in the past.

Jeffrey Baker,
Dancing Bear Graphics, Inc.

PetterSundnes
08-09-2005, 02:05 PM
I use LightWave to create interactive 3D interiors with baked radiosity. Professional? I dont know, but atleast to make money :)

http://petter.ms/voyager/

tufif
08-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm just a hobbyist. When I get better I wouldn't mind getting paid though :)
I studdied music and got into animation as a hobby. In the past year I've gotten pretty obsessed with it, but honestly I'd prefer to just be rich and spend my time being creative for the sake of being creative. Hmmm, I think I'll go pick up a scratch ticket ;)

T4D
08-09-2005, 02:17 PM
character animator, Rigger, TD in LW for contract work, also use XSI/pointoven for the heavy stuff.

johnnyh66
08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Professional user.
I was a Max 1.2 user about 8 years ago (3DS v.4 before that) but made the switch at a small company when I saw it's rendering capabilities. I've also brought LW to 3 cmpanies I've worked for... replacing Max in one, C4D in another and showing several Maya users the "Light" at the 3rd. That was my biggist surprise... that Maya users were impressed at it's speed and ease of use :applause:
I do think it's much tougher being a professional LW user as opposed to Max or Maya... at least here in Chicago.

PetterSundnes
08-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Thats a happy story :D

wwade
08-09-2005, 02:54 PM
PRO - 80% Lightwave 20% photoshop

brap
08-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Professional user.
I was a Max 1.2 user about 8 years ago (3DS v.4 before that) but made the switch at a small company when I saw it's rendering capabilities. I've also brought LW to 3 cmpanies I've worked for... replacing Max in one, C4D in another and showing several Maya users the "Light" at the 3rd. That was my biggist surprise... that Maya users were impressed at it's speed and ease of use :applause:
I do think it's much tougher being a professional LW user as opposed to Max or Maya... at least here in Chicago.

hehe, Johnny's being too modest! He pretty much shamed us into switching with his speedy LW modeling! :)

-Jamie

slipster70
08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
I use LW as a freelance artist specializing in arch viz. I am making a living at it, though would much prefer full-time employment creating environments for a small production house like Wet Cement or a place like that...

I love Lightwave. The 3d artist next to me uses Max and quite frequently seems impressed by what LW can do.

johnnyh66
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
hehe, Johnny's being too modest! He pretty much shamed us into switching with his speedy LW modeling! :)

-Jamie

Holy Sh!.
Jamie, I was thinking of you while writing that post.
How are ya?

NanoGator
08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm using it to make money. Working on an animated movie right now. :)

brap
08-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Holy Sh!.
Jamie, I was thinking of you while writing that post.
How are ya?

Yup, thought so! :)

I'm super, and I owe you a beer next time I make it back down to Chicago!

Hoopti
08-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Semi-retired. Came to this industry due to disability in my previous work where I was employed for over 20 years. Now do both hobby work, but also do limited for hire work as well. Primarily work in LW, XSI, Photoshop and After Effects.

I primarily do local commercial work for the tv statons, do arch previz type work, and also do accident reconstruction based upon engineering reports presented to me for insurance companies and attorneys (I play both sides hehe) in my area. I've also done some limited work for the local District Attorney's office in two shooting cases highlighting how the crime appeared to go down.

Hope that helps, so I guess that makes me an old fart.

Hoop

JeffB
08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Not too old to play though. In the gaming biz, where I've worked some, anyone over 30 is ancient.

I must be dead then... :)

Jeffrey Baker
Dancing Bear Graphics, Inc.

brainsguy
08-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi, I'm using LW 8.3 for a hobby, but I do plan on making a (hobby) movie, using LW for effects as needed, but for now I'm just playing with it.

Thanks

John

Tee Double U
08-10-2005, 12:36 AM
Visualization of Civil Projects, Marketing and Some multi media projects

otacon
08-10-2005, 01:29 AM
We use it professionally at Paradigm Productions, doing arch vis work.

sandrum
08-10-2005, 02:33 AM
I've had 8.3 for a while now but I don't think I know enough about LW in general yet. I'm goign to say hobbyist for.... now.

bearfoot
08-10-2005, 07:34 AM
freelance artist but at the moment or at least for the last few months stuggling to find work..

its coz i live in switzerland.

they dont have 3d in switzerland

:rolleyes:

colkai
08-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Got into it and use it mainly as a hobby, though I have had a couple of little jobs where I've got paid to do work with it.
Sure would love some paying gigs, but am just happy to have it at all, provides me with endless fun.

kevman3d
08-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Started as a Hobby really (Thanks to the inspirational Babylon 5), then I did a few Freelance jobs on the side that got me going into the business side of 3D, did some University work teaching 3D and over the last 4 or so years, I've been doing both Studio work (mainly TVC work) and teaching 3D each week as my full time jobs. :D
Somewhere in that last 10 years, I also started the NZ LightWave Users Group - I'm up to my 7th year running that one. That was probably the best thing I ever did - Having to run the thing meant I was forced to come up with new tips, tutorials, etc and hence try new things in LW that I wouldn't have bothered doing if I had sat about just 'playing' with it...

My wife is a self-proclaimed official LightWave Widow... Actually, that probably answers the whole question! lol! :D

Kev.

Dennik
08-11-2005, 11:01 AM
I use lightwave professionally since 1998. Never been a hobbyist.
Currently using it into an animated movie production. Doing character animation and occasionally character modeling.

Darth Mole
08-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Mainly hobbyist, but have earned money from several print jobs and a few modelling gigs. Would love to turn it into a full-time career but could never match the pay from my day job!

joshcxa
08-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Mainly a hobbiest. But I have done a couple of paying jobs with it

Mike RB
08-11-2005, 02:45 PM
been making a living from LW, Maya, and XSI since 2001.

jeremyhardin
08-11-2005, 04:34 PM
It seems to me that Ligthwave has a large hobby/student base and a rather smaller professional base.

Really? That's interesting. I got into LW specifically because it struck me as the professional choice. I didn't even hear about Maya until after I was using LW professionally. Granted that's an odd phenomenon, but yeah.

Have you seen LW's credit's lists?
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/projects.html
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=18
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=13
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=6

Cheers.

doc sampson
08-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I dont think many 3D companies actually make that much money off of big studios. Most seem to give away or sell software very cheaply to them so that they can get a quote saying how disney uses SoftwareX so that they can sell to smaller studios, freelancers, hobbyists, schools etc. Thats where they make most of their money.

mlmiller1983
08-11-2005, 05:54 PM
At the moment I am a hobbiest/student and slowly starting to learn 3D. I use Cinema 4D, Lightwave, After Effects, Photoshop, and Maya. Want to get into XSI and Bodypaint 3D but I need to save up for those. I don't know if I ever want to do CG professionally but we'll see where the future takes me.

Signal2Noise
08-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Me?

Hobbyist with the intent (illusions of grandeur?) of getting into some sort of freelance business.

chaostest
08-11-2005, 06:46 PM
hobbyist still learning, hobbyist writer also,with lots of writings and sketches of characters,someone suggested LW when i said i was going to use flash,or make a comic to tell the story,they said 3d is the way to go,i know someone who is nasty at with pen/pencil, he says the computer takes away from creativity,.........They dont know what there missing

zzgus
08-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Fully hobbyist in my little spare time.

Gus

Bonzodogboy
08-12-2005, 05:34 AM
I was using it a couple of years ago as a student, now at my current job, (Game characters and animation), I implemented its use.
It was a toss up between Maya and Lightwave.
Lightwave won.
I am tinkering and learning Maya, but I find Lightwave very fast and easy to use.
I still make plenty of mistakes, and have problems (I am more fluent in PS and Illustrator)
But yes, I use it professionally.
:thumbsup:

Niklas Collin
08-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm mainly a hobbyist, but I've done few commercial projects. I'm getting more projects every day so it isn't completely impossible that I'll turn into full time professional some day. Right now I'll just try to finish my studies, though :)

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2005, 06:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.