PDA

View Full Version : non-organic modeling??

sk72
08-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I need your input on this cause I'm a bit confused.

I am an intermediate 3dMax user, I've started to learn Maya 2 months ago and I can now model simple things, actually my main concern in non-organic modeling (cars, electronic devices,...).
To be honest, I tried to learn maya because I am a MAC user and I need 3d once in a while for my graphisc projects, but I have to say that I found 3dMax more flexible when it comes to modeling in polygons than Maya, I've tried also to get familiar with nurbs but every time I want to model I compare between the two packages and still find max more time saving, especially with the new release (7.5) it's amazing.
Do you think I should keep on developing my skills in Maya or stick to Max, in that case I should have two machines PC and MAC which is not easy for my pocket.

I need help on this guys, which package you think is more efecient in non-organic modeling, Max or Maya.

Please help setting my mind free.

bloggo_12
09-07-2005, 03:24 AM
in my opinion max is a better "off the shelf modeller", but maya has far more potential once u get over the learning curve.

sk72
09-13-2005, 06:50 AM
thanks buddy.

ThomasMahler
09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
To be totally honest, I'd say that Maya can be a pain in the ass when it comes to modeling. Depends. Maya is great, thanks to MEL, but its modeling toolset is by far the weakest of all animation packages (off the shelf), there are some scripts out there that'll make modeling a little less painful, but compared to other packages it's still kinda slow.

I'd recommend Silo for modeling, it feels a lot like Maya with the default settings, but has tools that just work, it's a lot faster and generally the more streamlined app for modeling tasks.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2005, 07:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.