PDA

View Full Version : Swapping a ATI X700 with a Geforce 6800 GO

happychopper
08-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Hello gang,

In a bit of a pickle here - buying my first pc laptop and think I'm plumping for one of them new Acer Ferraris which fits everything on my wish list other than the ATI card. Since I know little about mobile graphics processors - can anyone give me advice on the logistics of upgrading the X700 with a Geforce 6800 GO or Quadro. Is it even possible?

I'm so in the blue on this - is there a standardised size/motherboard slot for modern laptop graphics cards? If anyone has already done it, please give us the low down!

Kind regards,

Phil Webster

ps. we just (finally) finished a 3.5 minute short with help of HP's experimental URS renderfarm and about to go into final compositing (also, my first ever experience with maya... say no more!..)... - not looking for crits, just thought I'd stick this in as I'm in that celebratory mood!
http://www.fixel.co.uk/%7Ese3d/users/phil/screen-grab.jpg

deathman20
08-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Most laptops you get the graphics card that it comes with and thats final unless the company itself will update the card in the computer. But there are a few laptops, well there basically small PC's with lots of power, that you can change out graphics cards but they are your standard ones that you can buy in shops (I don't think I've ever seen a mobile graphics card in a store or online store).

I know Alienware had a laptop that you could change out the graphics card last I checked, it was a high end model so it would be price though.

ihavenofish
08-10-2005, 04:53 PM
the acer has a modular graphics card. most of the pci express laptops do. the point of this was to be able to upgrade. in theory you are supposed to be able to swap in a geforce 6600 (dont know if the 6800 is compatible) but i have never seen one for sale separately, and have no idea if swaping actually works. knowing the pc industry, they are all proprietary "standards" and not compatible at all.

happychopper
08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
thanks guys - here's hoping they do - I'm going to check with Asus uk and will report back with what they say regarding what can be plugged in and who can source the parts.

Happy Thursdays to ya'll,

Phil

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.