PDA

View Full Version : JHM: "Rapunzel Unbraided aims to be..." (RU pictures from SIGGRAPH 2005)

Bentagon
08-09-2005, 11:01 AM
"Rapunzel Unbraided" aims to be " ... a film of astonishing beauty."

After watching Glen Keane speak at SIGGRAPH 2005 last week, Jim Hill now has a different take on this master animator's career with Walt Disney Feature Animation. Hill also has somewhat higher hopes for Keane's next project.

link: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1589

That's some beautiful CG we're seeing there! Looks even more like a painting than the American Dog footage, available here: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20944. There's some wonderful A Day With Wilbur Robinson video on that link too!

- Benjamin

chadtheartist
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Wow. I love the design of it. Thanks for sharing!

eMPeck
08-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Love it :love:

Cannot wait to see more. Go on Disney :buttrock:

jeremybirn
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
That was another story from this year's SIGGRAPH: Disney's Charm Offensive. In part, they were showing high quality work that anyone would have a right to be proud of. But there was also a corporate whitewash aspect to it, like the "legacy of Disney" seminar in which no traditional animation was shown and everyone just talked about Chicken Little and other 3D satirical fairytale projects. One guy was saying how abandoning 2D animation shouldn't be considered abandoning a medium but just further progress, and the way everyone claimed to have no regrets didn't totally ring true to me. I think the industry is getting tunnel-vision with the idea that all animated features need to be 3D, or that all 3D features need to be colorful family-friendly comedies.

-jeremy

Shaderhacker
08-09-2005, 04:24 PM
That was another story from this year's SIGGRAPH: Disney's Charm Offensive. In part, they were showing high quality work that anyone would have a right to be proud of. But there was also a corporate whitewash aspect to it, like the "legacy of Disney" seminar in which no traditional animation was shown and everyone just talked about Chicken Little and other 3D satirical fairytale projects. One guy was saying how abandoning 2D animation shouldn't be considered abandoning a medium but just further progress, and the way everyone claimed to have no regrets didn't totally ring true to me. I think the industry is getting tunnel-vision with the idea that all animated features need to be 3D, or that all 3D features need to be colorful family-friendly comedies.

-jeremy

This may be true my friend, but until Pixar, Dreamworks, Blue Sky or even Sony steps up to the plate and gambles with making a 2D flick themselves, they are ALL in the same boat. ;)

-M

Joe Sandstrom
08-09-2005, 04:31 PM
That was another story from this year's SIGGRAPH: Disney's Charm Offensive.
Perhaps this "charm offensive" is being confused with actual genuine entusiasm. This is apparent and I bare witness to it every day. I love going to work each morning and love working with the people around me. Everyone is extremely proud to be a part of what is going on at Disney Feature Animation at the moment.

With people like Mark Dindal, Steve Anderson, Chris Sanders and Glen Keane at the helm, these are exciting times. These guys are trying to push this medium and the artistry to a new level.

eMPeck
08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I just hope that Rapunzel Unbraided would not turn into 'another funny 3d feature'. I have little daughter, and 9 years old sister, they both love Disney's classic. Belle, Ariel, 101 Dalmatians, Lady & Tramp, Cinderella, etc. are their beloved characters, and they like to watch them again, and again. I hope Rapunzel will fit well into classic style.

makina323
08-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Heres hoping that Disney also follows with the pseudo erotic theme that their source of stylistic inspiration is overflowing with. But oh well seems that the prince is oddly missing from their cg sample :(

BillB
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I love going to work each morning and love working with the people around me. Everyone is extremely proud to be a part of what is going on at Disney Feature Animation at the moment.A very fair point, Joe. We often forget that for all the annoying suits and frustrations with passing of an era, there's still a bunch of guys just like us at Disney doing what they, and we, love. All too easy to be cynical and dismisssive.

BillB
08-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I think the industry is getting tunnel-vision with the idea that all animated features need to be 3D, or that all 3D features need to be colorful family-friendly comedies. -jeremy Coming from a Pixar employee, that's deliciously ironic :D
Too true, though. But then, animation in general has pretty much always fallen into that rut for features. Name a box office success that wasn't in that mould?

young_927
08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
anyone have any video clips of Glen Keane talking at this event?
I remember I first saw him in Frank and Ollie,, I would like to hear more of what he said :)

thanks,~

mangolass
08-10-2005, 06:25 PM
the "legacy of Disney" seminar in which no traditional animation was shown and everyone just talked about Chicken Little and other 3D satirical fairytale projects.

If they are making all of the films be "3D satirical fairytale projects" that's not as good as if they tried different things. Disney has made a lot of successful 2D films ~ they made Lilo & Stitch right before the 2D part was shut down. The biggest hits were films like The Lion King that were not commedies but instead were stories with more drama. I will see Chicken Little but I don't think it will get as big as The Lion King if they don't try to do something with more foa story again.

LT

agreenster
08-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Perhaps this "charm offensive" is being confused with actual genuine entusiasm. This is apparent and I bare witness to it every day. I love going to work each morning and love working with the people around me. Everyone is extremely proud to be a part of what is going on at Disney Feature Animation at the moment.

With people like Mark Dindal, Steve Anderson, Chris Sanders and Glen Keane at the helm, these are exciting times. These guys are trying to push this medium and the artistry to a new level.

I remember thinking back in the late 90's that Disney would make a crazy comeback. I should have bought stock. Maybe its not too late!

Bentagon
08-10-2005, 07:54 PM
If they are making all of the films be "3D satirical fairytale projects" that's not as good as if they tried different things. Disney has made a lot of successful 2D films ~ they made Lilo & Stitch right before the 2D part was shut down. The biggest hits were films like The Lion King that were not commedies but instead were stories with more drama. I will see Chicken Little but I don't think it will get as big as The Lion King if they don't try to do something with more foa story again.

LTI'm pretty sure American Dog will be an involving, touching "Lilo & Stitch"-like movie, and not a satirical fairytale. And I've heard people say that Wilbur has the best story reel in ages.

- Benjamin

jeremybirn
08-10-2005, 08:50 PM
I remember thinking back in the late 90's that Disney would make a crazy comeback. I should have bought stock. Maybe its not too late!
Might still be a good time. The slate of original movies being developed seems sure to include some hits, they are putting old problems behind them, and the financial news looks good:

Fool.com: Happy Ending at Disney (http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05081003.htm)

Joe - I don't doubt that people are enthusiastic, and I look forward to seeing the films you're working on. If Disney didn't want its "Legacy of Disney" event to come off looking like a PR/Recruiting event they could have invited some guests to actually talk about Disney's legacy instead of just the current slate of CG titles...

-jeremy

worker_bee
08-10-2005, 08:55 PM

-jeremy

Disney is doing what they always do. Copy a formula that works expecially with Rapunzel. I wish they would try something more new then the same old formula like another travel from point a to point b and meet some interesting people along the way, didnt we see that with Dinosaur and Ice Age.

ivanisavich
08-10-2005, 09:01 PM
All I've gotta say...is that the animation in those clips posted for "an afternoon with will robinson" (or whatever) is some of the best animation I've seen in a while.

Respect!

Kion
08-10-2005, 09:20 PM
All I've gotta say...is that the animation in those clips posted for "an afternoon with will robinson" (or whatever) is some of the best animation I've seen in a while.

I agree, really good character animation. It captured the fluidity of 2d animation something that you don't see in 3d alot, something I think 3d is lacking.

Bentagon
08-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Disney is doing what they always do. Copy a formula that works expecially with Rapunzel. I wish they would try something more new then the same old formula like another travel from point a to point b and meet some interesting people along the way, didnt we see that with Dinosaur and Ice Age.Except if you're working for Disney, you know exactly 1 sentence about the movie's storyline. That concept could go a million different ways, and mabbe even turn out to be surprisingly great. So isn't it a bit early to say it's a "point A to point B with interesting characters along the way"-story?

- Benjamin

punnw01
08-11-2005, 02:13 AM
And I've heard people say that Wilbur has the best story reel in ages.

- Benjamin

from what i've seen of Wilbur, it's badass. it got me laughing out loud as well as a bit choked up at certain parts and that's just from watching storyboards. can't wait to see the finished product.

Bonedaddy
08-11-2005, 02:40 AM
I am as skeptical of Disney as anyone, but I went to an LA SIGGRAPH meeting where they did a presentation on their upcoming slate of films, and came away very impressed. Some extremely talented people there, many of whom are coming at 3d from a 2d perspective, trying not to reinvent the wheel.

The point that really won me over was when they started playing a reel of stuff for American Dog... and it was set to the Cowboy Bebop opening music. Things got better from there. I am jonesin' like hell for American Dog.

Shaderhacker
08-11-2005, 02:45 AM
I am as skeptical of Disney as anyone, but I went to an LA SIGGRAPH meeting where they did a presentation on their upcoming slate of films, and came away very impressed. Some extremely talented people there, many of whom are coming at 3d from a 2d perspective, trying not to reinvent the wheel.

The point that really won me over was when they started playing a reel of stuff for American Dog... and it was set to the Cowboy Bebop opening music. Things got better from there. I am jonesin' like hell for American Dog.

Hehehe...tis a popular flick indeed. ;)

-M

jeremybirn
08-11-2005, 03:40 AM

Same thing for me (except it was a SF SIGGRAPH meeting, probably the same clips played though) - it's nice to see some good original films are cooking.

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 03:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.