PDA

View Full Version : 2 screens from 1 PC? is it possible

DavidStokes
08-09-2005, 11:25 AM
Ok, What i would like to do is have 2 screens running from my PC, each screen would work as a stand alone screen, meaning if i opened a page on one it wouldn't open the same page on the other, I want to be able to use each screen to do different things,

At the back of my PC there is a graphics card and thats where my screen is running from at the moment, the normal output for the screen/monitor is covered with a cap, (like that when i got it ) if i plug a screen into that will it work the way i want?

i have a GeForce™ FX 5200 link http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html (http://www.nvidia.com/page/fx_5200.html)

any ideas and help would be great,

thanks.

lightwolf
08-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Yup, it should work no problem...

Cheers,
Mike

DavidStokes
08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
how do i do it ?

also do i need a second mouse and keyboard? how do i switch between screen, If i'm typing in the address bar on 1 screen will it effect the second ? same as the mouse if i move the mouse in 1 screen will it be moving in the second ?

XenaTrek
08-09-2005, 12:06 PM
I haven't owned a Geoforce Video card in years... in fact the last one I own is in my Dell Desktop purchases 4 years or so. My ATI in my laptop has that capability.

Bottom line; if it has dual monitor capability, then the answer is yes.
XenaTrek.

lightwolf
08-09-2005, 12:07 PM
how do i do it ?

also do i need a second mouse and keyboard? how do i switch between screen, If i'm typing in the address bar on 1 screen will it effect the second ? same as the mouse if i move the mouse in 1 screen will it be moving in the second ?
Basically, think of it like your screen estate spanning across two monitors. So it is still the same desktop, just twice as wide.
No, you don't need a second mouse and keyboard, you're not doubling your computer, just your screen space. All you need is a second monitor that you hook up to your gfx board. Then you enter your display settings and tell the driver to span across both monitors and you're set.

Cheers,
Mike

XenaTrek
08-09-2005, 12:11 PM
how do i do it ?

Two screens, one cpu, one mouse and one keyboard.
Its like having one huge screen (2 times the 'normal' size).

XenaTrek.

DavidStokes
08-09-2005, 12:17 PM
OK thanks.

1 last thing, can i use each screen to do different things,

1 sceen say run 3DsMax and the second screen surf the web, ?

also does anyone know from look at my graphics card spec if i can do it or not ? link in 1st post,

Kargokultti
08-09-2005, 12:22 PM
The screen is not the computer. If you can use 3dsmax and browse the net at the same time with one screen, you can do it with two as well. As said above, two screens only mean a double sized desktop, spread over two screens.

XenaTrek
08-09-2005, 02:28 PM
1 last thing, can i use each screen to do different things,

1 sceen say run 3DsMax and the second screen surf the web, ?

Already answered. Monitor display and Computer "processing" are two different entities.

also does anyone know from look at my graphics card spec if i can do it or not ? link in 1st post,

I'm still new-ish to the dual monitor capability. I think the card needs to be an AGP slot card with a possibility for a PCI expansion. From looking at the specs; its a PCI so I'm not sure. :curious: . You can always call and ask. I was gonna call for you, but the number is out in California and its not open yet (I'm in Florida). Then again, I'm sure the others on the forum would have an answer, as I'm curious to know how one can find out from reading on the box if it does not state it clearly like the ATIs.

XenaTrek.

lightwolf
08-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm still new-ish to the dual monitor capability. I think the card needs to be an AGP slot card with a possibility for a PCI expansion.
Not really, most, if not all video boards that cost more than 50US$ offer dual display support nowadays. If you have two video outs (usually one DVI and one VGA 15 pin) on your board, you can hook up two monitors. If you have a DVI out you might need to get an adapter to hook that up to an analogue monitor (15 pin VGA) - in many cases it is included with the board.

Cheers,
Mike

sherwinmagsino
08-09-2005, 02:39 PM
hi guys does the SPARKLE Nvidia Geforce 6600 256MB supports dual screen also?
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/6450_SPARKLE_Nvidia_Geforce_6600_256MB_HDTV.asp

thanks in advance!!

lightwolf
08-09-2005, 02:42 PM
hi guys does the SPARKLE Nvidia Geforce 6600 256MB supports dual screen also?

Ah, c'mon now, read the specs ;)

NVIDIA nView multi-display technology
Advanced technology provides the ultimate in viewing flexibility and control for multiple monitors.

You can also clearly see that its got two monitor connectors...

Cheers,
Mike

Peddy
08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
the adaptor wont always come with the card. i didnt get a DVI adaptor with my albatron 6600gt pci-express. the adaptors about $15 well spent. unless you have an LCD with the right cable.

c-g
08-09-2005, 03:11 PM
i have a GeForce™ FX 5200

The 5200 seemed to be the worst card of the fx line. If you are going to be spending the cash on a monitor you might want to get a good card too.

SkyZero
08-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I believe the utility that nVidia uses to manage multiple displays is nView. If you need help setting it up, tutorials can be found here (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nview_tutorials.html), a flash demo here (http://www.nvidia.com/content/nview_tutorial/index.html), and the user's guide here (http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/personal_cinema/53.04/ForceWare_nView_3.0_Users_Guide_v53.04.pdf).

deathman20
08-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Basically any of the graphics cards on market anymore (Within the last 2-3 years even) should have a DVI & VGA, or DVI & DVI connector on the back of the cards. Some even have S-Video and Component Video outputs as well to hook them up to a player or TV.

DVItoVGA Connectors come with some retail cards, but it seems to be coming more and more with them now. At least all the ATI cards in the past 2 years I've gotten a DVItoVGA connector in it.

Even though the 5200 is definatly not the best nor the most powerful card on the market it will handle 2 displays perfectly fine. If hes already running 3D Max and likes the preformance it won't harm him unless he has another 3D application running in the other window.

sherwinmagsino
08-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Ah, c'mon now, read the specs ;)

lol, how would i know if the graphic card supports dual montor, im not really good at these things DOOOT:D

deathman20
08-10-2005, 02:09 PM
If it has...

D-SUB, DVI, S-Video, VGA, RCA, Coaxial, Component

Basically if it has any two of those you can use 2 displays (displays as in meaning viewing devices not always computer monitors). Some do have a DVI/VGA/S-Video on the card, even though its 3 connections theres only 1 card that supports 3 monitors and well you don't have it so nothing to worry about.

Look at the cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0&type=&description=FX5200&Category=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Theres 53 cards on there and all of them support dual display in one way or another.

Marzocchi
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Yep, you can have 2 screen with the following options

1. Clone mode. The two monitors will show the exact same thing. Good for presentations (sp?). Only one mouse/keyboard is needed

2. Extended desktop mode. The two monitors are individual and you can run one program in one screen and another program in the other one. You'll only need one keyboard and mouse for this since the middle border disapers, allowing you to drag the mouse between the two monitors. This mode is used to run say 3dMAX in one monitor and Photoshop in the other.

3. Extended desktop mode. The desktop will become extended across the two monitors. Again only one mouse/keyboard is needen then you can drag it directly between the monitors. IMO this is no good mode since you'll get a big border in the middle due to the monitors frames.

A said before, dual screen will work with most of todays graphic cards.

Hope it cleared some things up to you.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 05:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.