PDA

View Full Version : pc newbie question regarding pc processor

sherwinmagsino
08-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi guys, i am very new to the pc world nad would like to know if processor(intel, amd etc.) matters regarding software compatibilities? does softwares running on intel also runs on amd and vice versa? thanks in advance!!!

DavidStokes
08-09-2005, 11:43 AM
software in general works on both with no problems. do you have any kind of software in mind ?

BlueTide
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
In general that is indeed the case. But at least a while back there were cases..

So, out of the curiosity, how is it these days for example with Discreet products? I have never used, nor do I see such future, Lustre for one. A time back I did read it was Intel only though. How about Smoke under Linux? And so on, I am sure there at least were software from other companies than Autodesk/Discreet too.

It would be interesting to know if there are programs that do not work on other manufacturers processors. I guess it is more that they are not guaranteed to work (SSE stuff or something) and these are rather special cases, but none the less it would be educational to know.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.