PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular - FAQ/Answers/Questions

Pages : [1] 2

Mibus
08-09-2005, 05:21 AM
For questions/answers on the Spectacular Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Thanks;
Mibus

Technical Support
For all registration errors, or technical errors while using the Challenge site, please email me (Robert Mibus, robert@ballisticmedia.net).

- Challenge-Specific -

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?
A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?
A: No, this is not a team challenge.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?
A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?
A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?
A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry").

Q: Do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
A: Everything is a milestone until you do the final image.

Q: How i can get out of this challenge?
A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?
A: No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Q: Why the hell not?
A: Because this is a "Challenge" to challenge artists in creating original concepts and characters. Where's the challenge in using pre-fabricated characters as main subjects?

Q: Can I use Poser to make background characters?
A: No, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans anyway.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?
A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?
A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?
A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?
A: All post trickery is allowed and encouraged.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?
A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?
A: Why wouldn't it be? (yes)

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?
A: Yes.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Arctis
09-05-2005, 07:29 AM
This time there are only 3 jury members ; will they be more ???

Mibus
09-05-2005, 07:58 AM
This time there are only 3 jury members ; will they be more ???

Not at this point, though it's not impossible.

pwallin
09-05-2005, 09:54 AM
"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history"

Word "future" concerns me here. Does that mean image can't be of something what has already happened (imaginary happening in the past)?

Pasi

NOOB!
09-05-2005, 11:20 AM
todays history will still be history in the future pwallin lol.

yaaay new challenge.

pwallin
09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
todays history will still be history in the future pwallin lol.

I was talking about past...not about today or future.

Pasi

AnimZiggy
09-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I was talking about past...not about today or future.

Pasi

that concerns me too, does it have to be present or future?

ANARKY
09-05-2005, 11:55 AM
And yesterdays, last weeks, and last centuries Events will still be history in the future. In otherwords, you can set it anywhere, anytime, past, present or future.

NOOB!
09-05-2005, 11:58 AM
And yesterdays, last weeks, and last centuries Events will still be history in the future. In otherwords, you can set it anywhere, anytime, past, present or future.

xactly what i'm sayin :)

erilaz
09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Presently there seems to be a submission problem where if you add any inverted commas into your notes, an SQL error occurs (eg. The word it's or i'm).

nebezial
09-05-2005, 12:56 PM
future history...GREAT SCOTT!!! marty, we re traveling thru time lol...its easy...just do as i do...dont put commas lol

pwallin
09-05-2005, 01:06 PM
xactly what i'm sayin :)

And exactly not talking about my question of past. :rolleyes:

Pasi

NOOB!
09-05-2005, 01:09 PM
..................ugh......

in other news...

Lol i just noticed Linda is judgin,all those people that sed she didn't deserve win shall regret that now:applause:

Mythmaker
09-05-2005, 01:21 PM
The description is a little confusing.

But I don't think the image has to be set in the future - what I think it means is that you're image should be spectacular and iconic - memorable - think of those images that stuck in your head - that excited your heart and inspired you.

"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time."

That's how I read it anyway...

MatthewRodgers
09-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Ok. i think i understand the guidelines. The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?
Obviously some spectacular moments such as Ali gettting the KO are so well visually documented it would be futile to attempt an interesting and original image of the occasion, but is it allowed to be based on true events?
becomes more of an editorial piece than fantasy this way.

pwallin
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
The description is a little confusing.

More than that. Especially if english is not your native language.

I still hope for an clear answer.

Pasi

joshcxa
09-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Presently there seems to be a submission problem where if you add any inverted commas into your notes, an SQL error occurs (eg. The word it's or i'm).

I thought that might be the problem. Thanks for pointing that out

nomadicrain
09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Is it possible to do 2 images? Not 2 entries, just images. Where each image is a part of a larger story?

LadyMedusa
09-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Is it possible to do 2 images? Not 2 entries, just images. Where each image is a part of a larger story?
Isn't that basically like subitting 2 images?

elmasfeo
09-05-2005, 02:59 PM

If you stick them together side by side, I guess you can, but not separatedly

I agree about the confuse description, it seems so vague and broad....

LadyMedusa
09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
something both extraordinary, but within the realm of possibility
Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?

ArtisticVisions
09-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Does this mean no hover-cars, flying boats, animals acting like humans (like the "the dogs playing" poker), fairies, dragons or other "non-existing" creatures?
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well (although hover-cars are technically possible and do exist)

LadyMedusa
09-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that as well (although hover-cars are technically possible and do exist)
They do?! Wow

go a link? PM me

unwrap
09-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Q: Can I base my main character on a celebrity, i.e. use celebrity photos as reference?

Q: Can my final image contain human blood or droid blood in bruses and injuries?

Kirt
09-05-2005, 06:13 PM
More than that. Especially if english is not your native language.

I still hope for an clear answer.

Pasi
ANARKY said it best (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2604282&postcount=8). But I'll attempt another explaination ...

The Past = Future History
Current Time = Future History
Future Time = Future History

Or leave out the "future history" phrase if it's confusing for you ...Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time.... this doesn't change any guideline of the challenge rules.

ArtisticVisions
09-05-2005, 06:19 PM
The Past = Future History
Current Time = Future History
Future Time = Future History

Thanks for clearing that up, Kirt. :)

Kirt
09-05-2005, 06:26 PM
The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?
Obviously some spectacular moments such as Ali gettting the KO are so well visually documented it would be futile to attempt an interesting and original image of the occasion, but is it allowed to be based on true events?
Can you gather inspiration from an event that happened already? Yes. Can you illustrate the event as it happened? Yes. Does it make your image more than a documentary or Editorial? No. The decisions are yours, but I'd recommend pushing your imagination and trying to do something unique.

Q: Can I base my main character on a celebrity, i.e. use celebrity photos as reference?

Q: Can my final image contain human blood or droid blood in bruses and injuries?

A: For reference? Yes, but don't copy or paint over a photo to the degree where the original photo(s) will be identified easily. Quick way to get yourself removed from the final judging phase.

A: Yes. Injuries and blood aren't offensive to most people. Use your judgement here.

If they are related to each other I don't see why not.

Read the rules, instructions and inspiration pages again. I believe this is all covered.

Kirt
09-05-2005, 06:28 PM
They do?! Wow

go a link? PM me
http://www.moller.com/skycar/

unwrap
09-05-2005, 06:42 PM
A: For reference? Yes, but don't copy or paint over a photo to the degree where the original photo(s) will be identified easily. Quick way to get yourself removed from the final judging phase.

No, not copying a photo. Just basing my character on a celebrity. For example if I want to express a droid girl flying (literally) and I want her to look like Pamela Andersen for instance. Just look like, not exactly her person. I just want to use some facial features that are physically unique.

pwallin
09-05-2005, 06:45 PM
ANARKY said it best (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2604282&postcount=8). But I'll attempt another explaination ...

Anarky made it even confusing actually.

Or leave out the "future history" phrase if it's confusing for you ...... this doesn't change any guideline of the challenge rules.

But that is the main problem I actually posted and I can't ignore it just like that. I know it's future history, but how I understand your explanation...EVERYTHING is future history and there is no past history...that's weird. I do not want to sound harsh, but I really do not get it.

Pasi

LadyMedusa
09-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Read the rules, instructions and inspiration pages again. I believe this is all covered.
Thank you. I read the inspriations page, it's a lot more clearer now :)

http://www.moller.com/skycar/
Cool!

LadyMedusa
09-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Anarky made it even confusing actually.

But that is the main problem I actually posted and I can't ignore it just like that. I know it's future history, but how I understand your explanation...EVERYTHING is future history and there is no past history...that's weird. I do not want to sound harsh, but I really do not get it.

Pasi
Past history is still history in the future ;)
thats how I think it's ment anyway

unwrap
09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
The past is behind you and the future is in front. If you switch your orientation then the past will become your future and your future will become your past, only this time you'll know your future and you won't know where you're comeing from. Thus the past and the future are the same! :)

shuggie
09-05-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm glad thats all been clarified now, :P

pwallin
09-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Past history is still history in the future ;)
thats how I think it's ment anyway

They said:
"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history"

So what is the point of having part of FUTURE history if there is no really a difference about it and PAST history. Why not just say part of a HISTORY instead?

Pasi

pwallin
09-05-2005, 07:34 PM
Just to clarify how I understand history is that everything that has happended is a past history. What will happen or is happening right now can be a future history.

That way challenge rules means we can't use happenings that already has happened, since they said in a "future history".

I hope this will clarify my problem better.

Pasi

Kirt
09-05-2005, 07:39 PM
This is like arguing "who's on first" (Abbot & Costello) ... :rolleyes:

History is any event that has been recorded. There is no difference between past history and future history. It's still history. The only history that will not be history is when the universe and everything within is no longer. If there is nothing, then how can it be recorded as "history"?

Maybe it's a language thing ...
There is no history of the future - because it hasn't happened yet.
However, the future has history - because history has happened prior to the future.

The "future history" asks you to speculate what may happen in the future which will become a spectacular and eventful item of the future's history.

What is the big deal about the words used in the description of the challenge anyway? Illustrate a spectacular event and you will be fine. Stop nitpicking the guidelines and get to work. :D

unwrap
09-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that grasps viewers by the throat; that quickens the pulse; that excites and scares at the same time.

As far as I understand from reading this all over ten times, the rules don't require the image to describe future history. It is rather encouraged then strictly required to create futuristic images. Also I think what is required is the images to be emotional, expressive, impressive, inspiring etc.

JonM
09-05-2005, 09:15 PM
What if I want to do a scene that starts off as 3d (to do the perspective and the main elements) but then do the majority in 2d? Is that acceptable for a 2d entry?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

:)

nomadicrain
09-05-2005, 09:19 PM

I have just posted my first sketch and a discription of the overall idea if 2 images are allowed.
see my thread here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=273788).

Kirt
09-05-2005, 09:41 PM
What if I want to do a scene that starts off as 3d (to do the perspective and the main elements) but then do the majority in 2d? Is that acceptable for a 2d entry?

Sorry if this has already been answered.

Perfectly acceptable. :D
I have just posted my first sketch and a discription of the overall idea if 2 images are allowed.
see my thread here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=273788).
Yes, that's allowed.
Which is to your advantage. Use your imaginations ... it wouldn't be a challenge if we supplied all of the answers.

umbrellasky
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
haha this is how I see it.

Ok, so 'future history'

This could mean the past from today. So anything that happened prior to todays date. So yesterday is history and all the years before that is history.

or it could mean that we could paint an image about a spectacular event that could happen thousands of years from now. lets say 5000 years into the future. so anyone after that date will see this event as history. but anything that has happend now and in our past is allso history to those people.

Basically I see 'future history' meaning that we can base our image on something that has allready happened, is happening now or is going to happen in the future. It will all eventually become history to someone after the event has happened :)

I hope that makes sense :)

BaronImpossible
09-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Even though I didn't write the description, I'd like to take a shot at clarification. I believe "future history" was included to indicate that the event, whether it be real or imagined, should be one of significance, and worthy of documentation. Most events are theoretically part of history but are quickly forgotten and or do not attain widespread exposure. For instance, I just knocked my coffee all over the carpet. It might have been spectacular at the time (my language certainly was) but as it's unlikely to make the history books then illustrating it as part of this challenge would be ultimately unrewarding.

Kirt
09-05-2005, 10:15 PM
OK ... I think "Future History" has been well explained up to this point. This is not the place for discussions of how the term is interpreted to each individual. This thread is for questions relating to the challenge.

Having said that ... can we move on to other questions and just drop the future history discussion now? Thank you. :D

unwrap
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I won't be kicked out of the challenge if I update my WIPs rarely, will I? How often do I have to upload WIPs? I mean I can get busy with some other stuff sometimes, but I don't want to be out of the challenge, so what are the rules regarding this kind of stuff?

ArtisticVisions
09-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Uh... I'm having problems uploading entries - I keep getting this error message:
Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's perspective and whatnot - just trying to get an idea of how the scene might lo' at line 1

EDIT: Never mind, problem seems to be fixed.

Mibus
09-06-2005, 12:11 AM

Weird, that should have been fixed ages ago. I'll sort it out in a minute.

Ok. i think i understand the guidelines. The only question i have is can it be based on an actual event? Hence potentially enhancing the narrative depth?

Either should be fine.

That's probably borderline - use your own judgement. I'd probably err on the side of caution and not include poker-playing dogs, but I don't see an issue with dragons.

So what is the point of having part of FUTURE history if there is no really a difference about it and PAST history. Why not just say part of a HISTORY instead?

The image can't be part of history since you haven't made it yet. Hence, future history :)

This is like arguing "who's on first" (Abbot & Costello) ... :rolleyes:

I don't know... ;)

That's fine.

I won't be kicked out of the challenge if I update my WIPs rarely, will I? How often do I have to upload WIPs? I mean I can get busy with some other stuff sometimes, but I don't want to be out of the challenge, so what are the rules regarding this kind of stuff?

You won't be kicked out, but regular posts and updates help you interact with the community (which can inspire your entry to greater heights). As long as you have all WIPs and the final image uploaded by the end of the challenge, you're "finished".

gjpetch
09-06-2005, 01:48 AM
I can foresee the "within the realm of possibility" clause causing some problems. Taken literally it excludes a lot of fun stuff like surrealism, fantasy, and most science fiction.
Its a blurry distinction, and sticking to the cautious side of that blurry line will make for some potentially dull entries.
Stepping into that blurry line means dealing with uncertainties like that discussed above: which is more possible, dragons or dogs playing poker? I'd dissagree with Mibus and say that dragons are entirely impossible, while dogs playing poker is unlikely, but doesn't break any laws of physics or evolution.
Having said that, for a fun challenge I'd like to be able to do either.

Mibus
09-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Having said that, for a fun challenge I'd like to be able to do either.

Just use your own judgement. I don't think we've ever disqualified someone for bending rules of the theme - you'd have to be pretty far off to get shoved off. Your only real "challenge" if you bend the rules is getting it accepted by the jury - if they "don't get it", it might impact your final scoring.

I'd dissagree with Mibus and say that dragons are entirely impossible, while dogs playing poker is unlikely, but doesn't break any laws of physics or evolution.

Dogs don't have opposable thumbs; at least some dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komodo_dragon) are real :)

Continuumx
09-06-2005, 02:23 AM
I have a question about the challenge,

I read the guidelines and programs like vue, terragen and bryce can be used for landscape portions. I will build my landscape geometry and then I am thinking to use another program to define it more in terms of erosion (using generated black and white height map).

Thanks!

spirogyro
09-06-2005, 02:54 AM
What happens if I've made a mistake on my name on the entry? In my user CP I had put my nickname in the "real name" area and that's how my thread got posted. I'd like to change that to my real name, but how?

thanks,

Sulla
09-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi I have a question about the 2D. I tend to work by starting with a montage of public domain images, my images and my drawings combined and working up from there. Legaly image wise its not a problem but is it legal for the contest?

jig
09-06-2005, 04:55 AM
i have got a question/

for the 2d challenge, can we use 100% traditional methods without using anybit of computers? I guess that would be no, because its a CG challenge right?
thanks

pwallin
09-06-2005, 07:52 AM
Maybe it's a language thing ...

It seems to be. I am not so well adapted to english language. Especially when you can understand something two different ways no matter how many times you read it.

What is the big deal about the words used in the description of the challenge anyway? Illustrate a spectacular event and you will be fine. Stop nitpicking the guidelines and get to work. :D

How can I get to work if I do not understand some rule of challenge and if my idea is allowed or not? I do not nitpick I just wanted to understand can I use my idea. And if this make no sense to you read your quote I posted in top of this. That too explains why I do not see it same way us most of you.

Basically I see 'future history' meaning that we can base our image on something that has allready happened, is happening now or is going to happen in the future. It will all eventually become history to someone after the event has happened :)

I hope that makes sense :)

That makes sense, but the description (I did not copy it to here) you gave (especially the future history part) sounded like I can't make image about what happened in the past so I am not still clear.

Instead of trying to give me more long-winged explanations. Answer to this:

Can I base my image on something that happened in the past like Björn Borg winning his first tennismatch or Napoleon losing his battle?

After reading some post I began to think that answer is yes, even I'm not quite sure why.

This sure is gone to a hilarious side, but forgive me I did not born (or learned) to speak english. Or maybe I should toss my idea...

Pasi

pwallin
09-06-2005, 07:57 AM
The image can't be part of history since you haven't made it yet. Hence, future history :)

I know my image can't be part of a history yet, but I was asking about the actual happening it will be based on (something that happened in the past).

Oh dear, even our kind Mibus could not clear this up...lol!

Pasi

LadyMedusa
09-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Instead of trying to give me more long-winged explanations. Answer to this:

Can I base my image on something that happened in the past like Björn Borg winning his first tennismatch or Napoleon losing his battle?

Yes, you can :)

Kirt
09-06-2005, 08:09 AM
I know my image can't be part of a history yet, but I was asking about the actual happening it will be based on (something that happened in the past).

Oh dear, even our kind Mibus could not clear this up...lol!

Pasi
If your image is based upon something that happened in the past ... then it's future history. Next week it's future history. Next year it's still ... guess what ... future history. One hundred billion years from now ... guess what? It's still future history.

Yes, you can do an image based upon something that has happened in the past.

TheDagger
09-06-2005, 08:15 AM
"Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history as one of those iconic spectacular images that..."

I interpreted that sentence this way:

Image refers to the piece you are going to draw/paint and that particular piece will become part of the future history. It doesn't say anything (yet) about what kind of picture this has to be except that it is spectacular. So your painting will take its place in the future history among other great spectacular images.

In other words I don't believe that the 'future history' here has anything to do with the time the picture (subject) is set in. It's more to reinforce that the image should portrait something truly spectacular.

Then there is this sentence:

"Don't consider yourself limited to things that are around now - dinosaurs and space-cities can both be spectacular too!"

Dinosaurs clearly refer to the past and space-cities to the future. It's just a clever and more interesting way of saying it. So you can read it like: Don't consider yourself limited to things that are around now - the past and the future can both be spectacular too!

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 09:48 AM
theres are sum real issues concerning the fantasy/sci fi creatures and such,and like sumone said that kinda exlcudes allot stuff that can be seen as spectaculer.

but i'm doin an evolution of already exisiting animals,*like an eight legged horse* *or a human with multiple limbs* thats cool right? i do beleive we'll evolve much further to adapt to our future habitats.

i just want to know before i continue.

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Hiya I have a question. I posted in genral discussion first before realising I should have posted it here. Anyway:

this is probably a stupid question but I came across this when reading the rules:

"FTP
Final submission of print-resolution artwork is to be done using FTP. If you are not familiar with FTP and how to use it, you should seek help on its use well prior to the close of the challenge - late submissions due to inexperience with FTP will not be accepted."

Just wondering if someone could explaing what FTP is?? Thanks for your time :)

pwallin
09-06-2005, 11:09 AM
OK!!! THANKS!!! I GOT IT NOW...finally :D

Pasi

pwallin
09-06-2005, 11:13 AM

"Ftp-program" allows you connect to a ftp -site and upload or download data.

I use Winftp at the moment and it's free.

BTW. If you have win XP you do not need separate ftp-program. Just drag your file from explorer window.

Pasi

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks pwallin :)

pwallin
09-06-2005, 11:27 AM

Another thing. Make sure you try it before deadline is lurking. Last time I had some issues because instructions were not very clear and I even managed to misstype my file.

I also noticed that many people had those issues even on a last minutes. Luckily I had my own submission being sent and spend my free time to guide lost souls right to the end. I plan to do it again this time if possible. Altough I do not need any praises (just send money ;)) I am happy to know, that I saved at least one user from a total disaster.

Remember that it's very easy to make stupid mistakes when using ftp -first time...especially on heavy stress with deadline. First time I even had an false impression that my submission was sent...Next day I checked it and horrible truth was found...

Pasi

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Yep yep,File Transfer protcol used to upload ur final hi res image,its important u try to get it uploaded to the ftp before the deadline otherwise u'll be in shedloads of traffic.

unwrap
09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
And what's the ftp server address and port. What username and password do I use?

pwallin
09-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Yep yep,File Transfer protcol used to upload ur final hi res image,its important u try to get it uploaded to the ftp before the deadline otherwise u'll be in shedloads of traffic.

A crypted version of what I said before?

Ok, to translate the last part it means its important YOU try to get it uploaded early because of a too much traffic at the last minutes. And YOU may be in a middle of it, and even not get your submission get through. Last time connection was shut off even some minutes were left.

Pasi

pwallin
09-06-2005, 12:59 PM
And what's the ftp server address and port. What username and password do I use?

You get it before submitting. I do not remember how soon they gave that information last time.

Pasi

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 01:09 PM
A crypted version of what I said before?

i was actually agreeing with u,but if its like that..fine.

pwallin
09-06-2005, 01:21 PM
i was actually agreeing with u,but if its like that..fine.

I know, but this "mobile-language" is very hard to understand if you are not used to it. And to many, a very annoying to read even your version was a simple example.

BTW. By saying "YOU" I did not meant you personally.

Also talking about "protocols" was a bit far off, since technical minded people "usually" also know such "basic" things like a FTP. So it's more convenient to talk as clearly as possible in case.

Pasi

PizzasRgooD
09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
[---EVENT------] = Past history
[---EVENT------------------] = Present history
[---EVENT---------------------------------] = Future history

As you can see the event in the past is still part of future history!
And if they had just said history you would have thought futuristic stuff is not allowed.

Also, the realm of possibility doesn't exclude anything really. I don't think I've ever seen a sci-fi movie that is completely impossible. An example of something impossible is... *thinking*...... a molecule with guns for example. I would say that's impossible, but still there's no way to be sure. :shrug:

pwallin
09-06-2005, 02:15 PM
[---EVENT------] = Past history
[---EVENT------------------] = Present history
[---EVENT---------------------------------] = Future history

As you can see the event in the past is still part of future history!
And if they had just said history you would have thought futuristic stuff is not allowed.

Wow! A graphical explanation! Since this was already cleared up, I expect more analytic stuff like "mathematical equations".

Pasi

PizzasRgooD
09-06-2005, 02:21 PM
It had been cleared up TEN times, yet you didn't get it.
I didn't post it to please you, I did it for those that still may not understand completely, so drop the sarcasm please.

pwallin
09-06-2005, 02:39 PM
It had been cleared up TEN times, yet you didn't get it.
I didn't post it to please you, I did it for those that still may not understand completely, so drop the sarcasm please.

Fact is, that you and some others did not get it...that I do not speak english "that" well as I told already. So drop your attitude.

Pasi

PizzasRgooD
09-06-2005, 02:45 PM
Eh? Fact is, I try to help people but you seem to think that once you've been helped, no one else needs it. My post was simply meant to clear things up even more, what's wrong with that?
Let's drop this now please, I don't want to get involved in a useless discussion.

pwallin
09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Eh? Fact is, I try to help people but you seem to think that once you've been helped, no one else needs it. My post was simply meant to clear things up even more, what's wrong with that?
Let's drop this now please, I don't want to get involved in a useless discussion.

By answering to my post it was directed to me at the first place as usually is the case if not noted differently.

And you did not saw (understood) my joke about "equations".

Pasi

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 03:06 PM
I know, but this "mobile-language" is very hard to understand if you are not used to it. And to many, a very annoying to read even your version was a simple example.

BTW. By saying "YOU" I did not meant you personally.

Also talking about "protocols" was a bit far off, since technical minded people "usually" also know such "basic" things like a FTP. So it's more convenient to talk as clearly as possible in case.

Pasi

FTP stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL,whats so hard to understand about that,i don't know what the hell protocol means either,but knowledge is power.

u seem to be starting allot of senseless arguements,i don't have anything against you.

anyway,back to the challenge i go...

pwallin
09-06-2005, 03:50 PM
FTP stands for FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL,whats so hard to understand about that,i don't know what the hell protocol means either,but knowledge is power.

u seem to be starting allot of senseless arguements,i don't have anything against you.

anyway,back to the challenge i go...

Yes, but you did not said it until now,You see? Why not specific at the first place?

BTW I do know ftp=file transfer protocol means but person who asked this seem to need more "common" answer. Not a techcno mumble combined with "mobile-language".

Good to see you learning using "you" instead of "u". Keep on going!

Sensless is a subjective word. What is sensless to someone is infromative to a someone else.

Besides I did not start "arguments" I was asking an answers or clarifications and gave corrections. Even just an opinion...

Pasi

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Ok people break it up! :D Thanks for the help with the FTP thing Pasi, I think I get it now, well I hope so, heehee

Now kiss and make up :D

pwallin
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Ok people break it up! :D Thanks for the help with the FTP thing Pasi, I think I get it now, well I hope so, heehee

Now kiss and make up :D

But he is a guy! Instead I just shake his hand ok? :)

Pasi

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
OMG! move on.....jeez leave it.

its like u must have the final word.

:applause: have fun attacking my spelling as thats the best u can do right now.

* oh no i sed u instead you* lol

i won't be replying in this thread anymore unless i'm helping sumone.

enialadam i hope i answered ur question,and hope ur fully understood now.

pwallin
09-06-2005, 04:15 PM
have fun attacking my spelling as thats the best u can do right now.

Best? LOL! And I was just about shake his hand...:(

Pasi

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
What happened to public vote,i wish they would bring that back,is that ever coming back mibus? or anyone that can give an official answer?

pwallin
09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
What happened to public vote,i wish they would bring that back,is that ever coming back mibus? or anyone that can give an official answer?

Sorry, it's me again pal "NOOB". The reason most users felt is that then it is a more of a "popularity" contest than analyzing images. You can see this by checking how many repyls some people has received even not given any sketch.

Btw! should we shake hands? :)

Pasi

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
hmm I don't think they should bring back the public vote either because of the whole popularity thing...I've seen amazing paintings overlooked on other sites when it came to voting.

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
lol i told u have nothing against u pwallin,its all good,we're cool.*shakes hand*

ok well no public vote ever again then :sad:

pwallin
09-06-2005, 04:40 PM
lol i told u have nothing against u pwallin,its all good,we're cool.*shakes hand*

ok well no public vote ever again then :sad:

Hugs to you NOOB!

Pasi

xric7
09-06-2005, 05:59 PM
hi all.

:twisted:
good luck.

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 06:04 PM
yay! love all round heehee :D

NOOB!
09-06-2005, 06:05 PM
hi all.

:twisted:
good luck.

go away

:twisted: :D

umbrellasky
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
haha your priceless NOOB! :D

spirogyro
09-06-2005, 08:33 PM
So can one of the admins please tell me what to do about my name being wrong on the 3d thread?? please help, I don't want to be disqualified for something like this. Thanks.

Shiva3D
09-06-2005, 09:26 PM
Sorry if someone already asked about it.
Can I create the character from some animation, without any changes?
..cause i dont want to change it, i love this character as it. But its not my character.

unwrap
09-06-2005, 10:07 PM
So can one of the admins please tell me what to do about my name being wrong on the 3d thread?? please help, I don't want to be disqualified for something like this. Thanks.

Try changing your Real Name settings in your User CP.

..cause i dont want to change it, i love this character as it. But its not my character.

I think they don't allow using existing models just like poser models or purchased models. And it's even not yours as you said. You should start from 0 (aka cube :D ).

Kirt
09-06-2005, 10:23 PM
PM Mibus and he can change the name for you. Mibus is our database Yoda ... he can fix anything by just willing it to be so. :D

No, you can't use licenced characters. Because it's a copyright infringement. Create your own characters please.

John Keates
09-06-2005, 10:41 PM
What exactly is meant by "A once in a lifetime event". The theme that I have chosen could happen more than once... unless I invent a reason why it can't. Does the image have to obviously be a once in a lifetime event?

Kirt
09-06-2005, 10:45 PM
What exactly is meant by "A once in a lifetime event". The theme that I have chosen could happen more than once... unless I invent a reason why it can't. Does the image have to obviously be a once in a lifetime event?
It means, something really spectacular that you wouldn't expect to happen more than once in a lifetime. If it's an event that occurs multiple times within a lifetime then it tends to become more ordinary over each occurance. It's an extremely rare occurance.

John Keates
09-07-2005, 08:30 AM
OK.... might be back to the drawing board then :sad:

fredconv
09-07-2005, 01:49 PM
hi

some questions

does "alien meeting", space alien discovery etc count as a possible event ? i think if dragoon are why not alien ?
another quastion, can we make a more cartoon or funny approche of the challenge pic ? was thinking of a funny scene of the first alien encouter .... dont know if i m clear (french user so my english may not be right sorry )

so does it have to be realistic at any cost ?
sorry again if that seems to be silly questions....
thanx for your attention anyway :)

JuanManuel
09-07-2005, 05:41 PM
How about a spectacular event on a personal level? I mean, there are lots of spectacular events every day which not necessarily impact or cause changes in the stock markets or world oil supplies. But for those involved, they are indeed spectacular...

As an example, a tribe in a remote part of the world with no access to television, radio, etc did not hear about hurricane Katrina. And nobody denies THAT event will change the lives of thousands, if not million people. But not to the tribe people.

Or the other way round. A drought where those people live. The would probably die with not a soul outside their "turf" even knowing there was a spectacular event such as people dying in a drought.

Or on a family level.

A personal level.

Is that kind of mmm "personal spectacular" valid?

NOOB!
09-07-2005, 06:54 PM
How about a spectacular event on a personal level? I mean, there are lots of spectacular events every day which not necessarily impact or cause changes in the stock markets or world oil supplies. But for those involved, they are indeed spectacular...

As an example, a tribe in a remote part of the world with no access to television, radio, etc did not hear about hurricane Katrina. And nobody denies THAT event will change the lives of thousands, if not million people. But not to the tribe people.

Or the other way round. A drought where those people live. The would probably die with not a soul outside their "turf" even knowing there was a spectacular event such as people dying in a drought.

Or on a family level.

A personal level.

Is that kind of mmm "personal spectacular" valid?

Jaun if its spectacular,and can be depicted as spectacular ,its valid.Whether its personal or not doesn't matter as long as other people can see te spectaculerness of it aswell.so don't make it too personal.

:thumbsup:

JuanManuel
09-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Wonderful. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for clearing that. :thumbsup:
Now to work on the first milestone :shrug:

Spin99
09-07-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi I'm really confused about the challenge mission?
Can someone please help clear this?

OK I don't think I understand the challenge mission properly.
What I need to know is:
On the mission you mention an historical image :D

That is all very well, but what I don't get is if you want a spectacular image that
could be historical(?) because it's so spectacular?? Heh???

OR

If we have to take history into account, and create an image of an historical event it the future of humanity?

It's all in the way you worded the mission.
Could you light-heartedly say in American that the winning image will be so spectacular
as to become part of future history(?)
I don't think so?

Does the mission clearly define an image that has to do with history?
I need to know if we can get away with a concept without referring to history,
or even a very strong story being part of it?

Cheers,
--JC

Kirt
09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
does "alien meeting", space alien discovery etc count as a possible event ? i think if dragoon are why not alien ?I believe that's covered in the challenge description. Short answer: Yes, that's acceptable.can we make a more cartoon or funny approche of the challenge pic ?Yes, any style is acceptable.

Kirt
09-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi I'm really confused about the challenge mission?
Can someone please help clear this?
Spin99 - The image should be spectacular. Ignore the historical reference if it's confusing for you. It's not as important as depicting a spectacular event through your image.

That particular phrase seems to be confusing many people (read prior posts in this thread). It just basically means that the image is so very spectacular and the event illustrated in your image is of a grand and awe inspiring magnitude.

Such imagery has a lasting impression upon people and these are images that future generations will remember and discuss with their children, grand children and future generations. Your image does not have to illustrate an actual historic event (like the fall of the Berlin wall, the attack on Pearl Harbor, bombing of Hiroshima, etc.). It just needs to be an illustration of a rare and memorable event.

Spin99
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Kirt
Thanks for the reply :D
I'm actually really glad that it's open ended.

Actually not too sure I'm fully meeting the challenge mission.
My initial idea is a simple live rock concert for it's spectacular side.
Then on top of that I thought maybe I'd do the one performer jumping over the other
(a bit like superman hee hee)

Maybe this really isn't the sort of thing that would get passed down generations.
Maybe if the guy really jumped that high?
I hope I'm not missing the concept altogether here :argh:

Thing is I'll try make it obvious that it's really a humour thing as well.
Any case I don't have a lot of cg experience and I really want to do the image.
I'll really try my best to concentrate on being awe inspiring.

Actually maybe it would be that impressive to, say the aborigines tribe in Australia?
(Or maybe they don't even like Rock concerts lol)

BaronImpossible
09-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually maybe it would be that impressive to, say the aborigines tribe in Australia?
(Or maybe they don't even like Rock concerts lol)

Just Ayers Rock concerts.

I'll get me coat...

t3logy
09-08-2005, 02:02 AM

Word "future" concerns me here. Does that mean image can't be of something what has already happened (imaginary happening in the past)?

Pasi

In my most humble of opinions, after rereading the Mission Statement of this challenge, the word "future" in the context in which it is used is pretty much self-explanatory if English is your primary language.

My humble attempt to interpret it in most simplistic terms: Pick a time, any time in time and space. You decide on the time. Create an artistic representation encompassing universal dynamics of the event, any presentation that is so spectacular, that anytime in any future to come or past, the image is still universally spectacular. It can be anything yet to happen, or so ancient it is remembered as legand or myth yet still spectacular in it's occurnce.

Hope this helps.

t3
Oracle
Dark Fury

P.S.: Please correct me if I am off-base here. TIA.

t3logy
09-08-2005, 02:39 AM
For questions/answers on the , please post here...

Because diminished sight necessitates adaptations to work progress to compensate, I may have to complete a few ( most ) of the milestones out of sequence. All posted sequential WIPs will show exactly how the rendered project got to the end, but line drawings, etc. will be done post final image.

Will this disqualify me?

t3
a.k.a. La'Dene Bean
Oracle of the Dark Fury

Mibus
09-08-2005, 03:07 AM
All posted sequential WIPs will show exactly how the rendered project got to the end, but line drawings, etc. will be done post final image.

As long as you have most of your WIP stuff up sooner rather than later, you'll be fine.

DV8
09-08-2005, 03:48 AM
say a battle between god and the devil?

Kirt
09-08-2005, 04:42 AM
say a battle between god and the devil?
Yes. Now go ... draw. :wip:

luciferous
09-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Alright here goes my little conundrum -

My idea if done without subtleity is just way too naughty, but IF i was to be clever with angles and only suggest the events of the idea below would I be able to get away with it...?

''Inside a news van a crew are in vatious states of shock, sickness, amusement as on a screen we see their entrepid reporter looking decidedly damp in a dark, reddish place, the headline on the screen - "Reporter used as Human sex toy by Giant amazon!" - Through the vans windscreen we see the amazon in question about to mount a national monument like.. nelsons column with the top of it appearing alongside the reporter current residing within the sex crazed amazon style lassy.'

Remember that I fully intend on hiding anything naughty, possibly even replace the nelsons column bit entirely or instead have her 'giving it the eye'.

Even with' clever artboy' mode on would this be not allowed?

fredconv
09-08-2005, 07:37 AM
hi :)

thanx kirt and other members for explaining the challenge

just another question my brother ask me so i bring it to you by an exemple

does the "spectacular" mean :

1- woooaaahh look at that pic. so much details and so much skill in this image. great image well render and good composition etc...

or

2- woooaahh i wish i could have been there to see the event describe in the image by myself

what is the main idea ?
personnaly i m heading for the 2nd meaning of the word spectacular but i suppose some can think the other way ? i ve already started something but want to know if i m in the right direction ?

thanks again for your attention

after this i think i m going to draw and modelise :P

good luck to all of you (even if luck is not really the right word ^^' )

Mibus
09-08-2005, 07:54 AM
#2 - Whoah, look at that [wave/crash/explosion/flamingo]

ttc
09-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?
A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

where is the "Challenge site facility to upload" ????? ..i don't find it :(

NOOB!
09-08-2005, 08:19 AM
is the word spectacular starting to get on anyones nerves yet?
:rolleyes:

I think i might have the spectacular virus,everytime i hear it...PAIN!!!

joke.:D :twisted:

unwrap
09-08-2005, 08:26 AM
I like the way 'spectacular' is pronounced in spanish. You know? It's like [spektakularrrrrr...] :D.

t3logy
09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Alright here goes my little conundrum -

My idea if done without subtleity is just way too naughty, but IF i was to be clever with angles and only suggest the events of the idea below would I be able to get away with it...?
[snip] . . .

Remember that I fully intend on hiding anything naughty, possibly even replace the nelsons column bit entirely or instead have her 'giving it the eye'.

Even with' clever artboy' mode on would this be not allowed?

The rules explicitly state: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/instructions.php

"6. Any imaging deemed to contain content that depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal will be disqualified."

I cannot even remotely opine how your idea would not violate this rule. Clever or not, if you succeed in guiding the viewer to your conclusion, then it is an overt, sexual act, is it not? As you state here:

nelsons column with the top of it appearing alongside the reporter current residing within the sex crazed amazon style lassy.'

the reporter is inside this female. Unless he/she has been ingested as food and is sticking out of an amazonian mouth, then this is all academic. It violates rule number six.

Just MHO,

t3

luciferous
09-08-2005, 10:10 AM
So ingestation as an acidental food or drink substance is all good.... well my original idea may be scuppered but i am not down yet... *begins to formulate new clean energy source.. i mean image idea* cheers for the help

DV8
09-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Great! thanks for the reply Kirt! have a good one.

Mike

Yes. Now go ... draw. :wip:

naresh
09-08-2005, 02:00 PM
hey is that any problem if i use my old character whicg one i allready sent and get a award from other contest..ofcurse am not going to send you the same image but i want to use the same concept ......is't possible...and if i dont know any 3d soft can i do it in only 2d art with digital color..?
thanks
naresh

t3logy
09-08-2005, 02:08 PM
For questions/answers on the Spectacular Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.
Acknowledging the instruction and judement criteria - where do I go to filter the crap out of all these forums? It will be a monumental task to wade through the constant gibberish that is posted.

Before posting, please review the following:

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics.
Critiques and responses to images are to be constructive and related to improving the quality of the artwork.

I thought these were to be professional forums? Aren't all postings to be credible assists without denigration, petty nonsensical nit-picking, with constructive criticism / suggestion the aim?

The monotonous task of wading through this dribble is daunting. PLEASE, point me to the area with instructions on filtering these posts.

t3
La'Dene Bean
Oracle of the Dark Fury
AAAAaaaagh!

Kirt
09-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Acknowledging the instruction and judement criteria - where do I go to filter the crap out of all these forums? It will be a monumental task to wade through the constant gibberish that is posted.

I thought these were to be professional forums? Aren't all postings to be credible assists without denigration, petty nonsensical nit-picking, with constructive criticism / suggestion the aim?

The monotonous task of wading through this dribble is daunting. PLEASE, point me to the area with instructions on filtering these posts.

t3
La'Dene Bean
Oracle of the Dark Fury
AAAAaaaagh!Nice ... :rolleyes:

It's located on the front of your PC tower and called the "power button". Push that until your screen goes blank.

OR ... lead by example and post something constructive and helpful for members who are having difficulties understanding the challenge guidelines due to language barriers or the unfortunate circumstance of being the first time they have entered the challenge.

Kirt
09-08-2005, 03:10 PM
ttc - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/

Notice the extra page options in the left column. You're looking for "SUBMIT ENTRY"

naresh - No you can not use existing characters (your's or someone else's). Start from scratch with a new idea.

kizoku
09-08-2005, 04:27 PM
You say that it is ok to use apps like VUE and so on, but only in the 3d-challenge huh?

pwallin
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
OR ... lead by example and post something constructive and helpful for members who are having difficulties understanding the challenge guidelines due to language barriers...

Like the attitude you did with my language problems of understanding "post, present, future-past"?

Pasi

Kirt
09-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Like the attitude you did with my language problems of understanding "post, present, future-past"?

Pasi
Great ... everyone is in a bad mood today. Tell me Pasi, where in this post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2605892&postcount=25) is there an attitude? This was my response to your question ...

kizoku - I suppose you could use it in a 2D image, but you'd have to basically repaint over the whole render in order for it to classify in the 2D category rather than the 3D one.

kizoku
09-08-2005, 05:15 PM
I know, mostly for reference I guess... but how many times can you change the whole idea? :P since the old ones stays I'm getting worried since I, at last, have come up with an idea, a lot better than the other 2... is it possible or should I just let them be? My old pics that is. In my thread.

Kirt
09-08-2005, 05:18 PM
You can change your idea as many times as you want. Just make sure you leave time at the end to finish at least one of them. :D

I am currently working on my 5th idea ... many other challengers are changing their ideas as well.

You should be uploading your images to the CGNetworks server, and if you are ... then you don't need to worry about changing anything. Oldest images will drop to the bottom of your challenge entry page.

kizoku
09-08-2005, 05:21 PM
You can change your idea as many times as you want. Just make sure you leave time at the end to finish at least one of them. :D

I am currently working on my 5th idea ... many other challengers are changing their ideas as well.

You should be uploading your images to the CGNetworks server, and if you are ... then you don't need to worry about changing anything. Oldest images will drop to the bottom of your challenge entry page.

That answer saved my day! :D thanks a lot pal.

jbballaran
09-08-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi. Can we delete a submitted information in the challenge page? I accidentally, sent two entries of the same concept sketch. Sorry, my computer was lagging. Clicked the "submit entry" twice.

Kirt
09-08-2005, 05:37 PM
ahbeejieh - For any submission errors or database problems that you encounter, you need to contact Robert Mibus (member name is Mibus (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=33432)). Just PM the info to him and I'm sure he'll be able to help you out.

t3logy
09-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Nice ... :rolleyes:

It's located on the front of your PC tower and called the "power button". Push that until your screen goes blank.

OR ... lead by example and post something constructive and helpful for members who are having difficulties understanding the challenge guidelines due to language barriers or the unfortunate circumstance of being the first time they have entered the challenge.

Obviously we are not communicating. I am do not address comments, statements made relevant to the competition. I address those posting entire conversations tht would best be suited to instant message. I am in the unfortunate circumstance of being a first time participant. English is not my primary language. Those for whom English is not their native tongue, should not have to wade through 26 pages of dribbish that has nothing to do with this competition.

Some poor poster was assaulted on theses forums because he did not understand the context in which the term "future" was utilized. Instead of the responders addressing his/her obvious lack of understanding, rude snideness was offered.

Your rules state we have to participate, I am attempting to do so. Why should I have to wade through pages of garbage tht have no valid reason to be posted since they have nothing to do with assisting us. Your requirements state we are judged on our hellpfulness, you estabished the guidelines. Instesad of addressing this politely, or attempting to understand my concern, you advise my withdrawal. You sir, have violated your own rules and from my point of view, for me, you validate my point - rudeness should be removed from the process. We need help, not this.

Be courteous and polite.
Engage your brain before your mouth. You are responsible for your own words and any harm they may cause.
Don't dilute the forums with irrelevant and unnecessary fluff. CGTalk is a professional, moderated forum. It's a place to talk about all things related to computer graphics.
You invite us to come and learn from one another, and instead of true communication, you advise me to quit. You should follow your own advice. Why are you not leading me to how to find relevant conversation in these forums, regarding this process. I am legally blind, and straining to see this. I asked for relief, a point in a direction so I can lessen the strain. I will not quit. I will continue to haunt these forums, offering my meager assistance in understanding your language choice for this competition. I do articulate the language, understanding your exact meaning.

Once again, Kirt Stanke, CGTalk Forum Leader, you as the leader of these forums, please assisst me. How do I and my counterparts, or is it even possible for me to filter these forums? Some of my questions, I am certain, have been answered already. I am certain they have been also for many other posters. It would be nice, if those suffering to undestand / see / attempting to communicate could actually be lead to your responses.

Struggling and with respect,

La'Dene Bean
aka Oracle
the Dark Fury

t3logy
09-08-2005, 08:37 PM

Pasi

I responded to your initial query.

Apolgizing for not finding you earlier so you did not have to suffer ignoble treatment, I wish you luck. My English is fair, and if I can assist with understanding, please do not hesitate to contact me. I may not know, however I do comprehend where to go for interpretation / understanding.

:( Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a forum where management is comfortable with my ignorance. Not many are willing to assist beyond comikc relief. I am hoping to find one to whom to pose questions, so if you find one, please let the rest of us know whom and location?

Cordially,

La'Dene Bean
a.k.a.: t3logy
Oracle
Dark Fury

Kirt
09-08-2005, 09:46 PM
t3logy - Please find and show me where I have not been helpful or I have been rude and disrespectful in this thread. I have been making every effort I can to answer everyone's questions and have tried to quell the unnecessary discussions not posing immediate questions or answers in this thread (of which you are now contributing to).

This is a rude comment.Acknowledging the instruction and judement criteria - where do I go to filter the crap out of all these forums? It will be a monumental task to wade through the constant gibberish that is posted.

This is disrespectful.:( Unfortunately I have been unable to locate a forum where management is comfortable with my ignorance. Not many are willing to assist beyond comikc relief. I am hoping to find one to whom to pose questions, so if you find one, please let the rest of us know whom and location?

These are only helpful if you follow them yourself.

Be courteous and polite. Show respect to the opinions and feelings of others. Use of the forums is a privilege, not a right.
Critiques and responses to images are to be constructive and related to improving the quality of the artwork.
Am I being rude now? No, I'm firmly addressing someone who is making some pretty bold statements without merit, labelling other user's opinions and questions as "crap" or "dribble", being disrespectful of all the forum membership and it's leaders, and making a horrible attempt at trying to come across as the helpful servant.

And I'll even address your "filter" question again ... this is an internet forum. There is no filter option for you to remove opinions, discussions or questions which you personally find irritating. Your options are to ignore the posts that you find useless and browse forward to the ones that are important to you. Or to do as I suggested in my first post, turn off your computer and go read a book or talk to people who don't annoy you.

I'm terribly sorry that you don't have a excellent understanding of the language, but from all outward appearances, you seem quite capable of insulting people and causing a bunch of trouble utilizing the language.

How in the world do you find "crap" and "dribble" so easily and correctly used in a sentence if you don't have a good grasp of the language? These are slang terms and not easily understood by people who are not native to the language.

Sheeesh! I'm really sorry that I tried to help anyone today. :argh:

t3logy
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
t3logy - Please find and show me where I have not been helpful or I have been rude and disrespectful in this thread. I have been making every effort I can to answer everyone's questions and have tried to quell the unnecessary discussions not posing immediate questions or answers in this thread.

This is a rude comment.

This is disrespectful.

These are only helpful if you follow them yourself.Am I being rude now?

quite obviously so.

[snip]And I'll even address your "filter" question again ... this is an internet forum. There is no filter option for you to remove opinions, discussions or questions which you personally find irritating. Your options are to ignore the posts that you find useless and browse forward to the ones that are important to you. [snip]
Thank you for the information. I referred to your response to my request and fail to locate this information. Perhaps it was lost in transmission. My responsibility totally.
I'm terribly sorry that you don't have a excellent understanding of the language, but from all outward appearances, you seem quite capable of insulting people and causing a bunch of trouble utilizing the language.

How in the world do you find "crap" and "dribble" so easily and correctly used in a sentence if you don't have a good grasp of the language? These are slang terms and not easily understood by people who are not native to the language.
My children assist me with your language. I am also utilizing the Webster's II New Riverside Dictionary, Revised Edition ISBN 0-395-74288-9 Please forgive my arrogance in relying on the thesarus and dictionary. It was suggested that I try to be less formal. I have miserably failed.
Sheeesh! I'm really sorry that I tried to help anyone today. :argh:
Me also. I apologize for any and all miscommunication on my part. You have not understood the meaning in my words in either of my posts. I am most certain it is poor word selection for my part. I do understand your intent and meaning. It does not negate the fact I have experienced rudeness being directed on this forum toward me and others. I will abide by your written instruction and ignor these forums in future, as my concerns and communication skills or lack thereof are viewed as "causing trouble".

Thank you for your advice.

Respectfully,

La'Dene Bean

Serkeien
09-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Okay. Sophmore year, at a magnet high school. I need good grades this year.

I'm going to try to do this, but if nothing good comes out of this or I don't even come close to finishing, I don't think that will be suprising.

t3logy
09-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Okay. Sophmore year, at a magnet high school. I need good grades this year.

I'm going to try to do this, but if nothing good comes out of this or I don't even come close to finishing, I don't think that will be suprising.

Do not under estimate yourself. Youth is an advantage. On a calendar, put times as deadllines to complete something. Then treat it like homework. you will finish, and surprise yourself in the doing.

Good luck to you.

La'Dene Bean

soriah
09-09-2005, 07:17 AM
This is my first contest and I was wondering if you allow "artistic nude"? I am working on a concept where both male and female characters are nude but are not in any way realated to something sexual. Would my entry still be acepted if there is minor nudity?

Thankyou

Kirt
09-09-2005, 07:39 AM
soriah - Artistic nudes are acceptable. :D

pwallin
09-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Great ... everyone is in a bad mood today. Tell me Pasi, where in this post (showpost.php?p=2605892&postcount=25) is there an attitude? This was my response to your question ...

I was not talking about that post, but some later words where you seem to be loosing your patience. I do not say you used a harsh words, but "sound" of your words were not very friendly either. Seems that you lost your patience and decided I need no further help even I was almost alone in the sea.

I still respect that you tried to help me and have no hard feelings at all. You (and many others) just did not seemed to find a clear way to tell me what I needed to know. Luckily I got answers later and could get on working...actually with a bit different idea to be sure I do not broke rules.

As you see I was in a deeper conflict with "NOOB" and at the end we made up and shake hands. Personally I am willing to shake your hand too, since I remember you being nice on another thread a while ago. :)

Pasi

NOOB!
09-09-2005, 11:16 AM
heh Pwallin when you have six million versions of the same question being thrown at you from all directions,your gunna get a little frustrated right?

give kirt a break:buttrock:

I thought we digitally shook hands so that we understood that this thread should only be used for questions and answers.*and maybe a lil fun..heh*

So come on just let it be. *shakes hands again*

Everybody be happy ....or get thrown out the challenge :deal: .

:D

pwallin
09-09-2005, 11:38 AM
heh Pwallin when you have six million versions of the same question being thrown at you from all directions,your gunna get a little frustrated right?

give kirt a break:buttrock:

I thought we digitally shook hands so that we understood that this thread should only be used for questions and answers.*and maybe a lil fun..heh*

So come on just let it be. *shakes hands again*

Everybody be happy ....or get thrown out the challenge :deal: .

:D

Yeah, no problems here. At least I have managed to model something for challenge...that's a good start. :)

Pasi

BaronImpossible
09-09-2005, 12:10 PM
This has been addressed before, I know, but I'm still not sure on the outcome, so thanks in advance for replying ~

Can I develop two, or more, ideas in parallel, as long as I submit only one final image? In other words, can I go through some or all of the milestones (except the final one) with image No. 1, then do the same with Image No. 2, and only decide which one to submit at the end? Or would this be too confusing for the judges when looking back through the stages?

Cheers.

Overchord
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey guys - good challenge [In spite of me banging my head repeatedly against the wall since Monday looking for fresh ideas :) ]

Just a couple of questions - which may even be a bit presumptouous in that they assume that I actually make it all the way to submission:

1. I read earlier on in this thread that FTP is not up yet. I'm not looking for a specific date or anything, but perhaps a rough estimate of when it will be up - I know i'll be away for a couple of weeks for work, so if it conincides with the submission deadline - obviously I would have to finish my work earlier and be able to upload it.

2. Regarding the minimum pixel measurements on images. I assume that it should always adhere to the minimum pixel dimension of the orioentation of the canvas? For example if i want to make a tall, narrow picture, the width should still be a minimum of 2657 pixels?

Thank you in advance - you guys are doing a great job with this - so keep it up :thumbsup:

Vahn
09-09-2005, 01:10 PM
Baron Impossible ... yes you can do as many as you want in your thread as long as u have all the milestones for the final image ... as far as i know there are no restrictions :)

BaronImpossible
09-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Baron Impossible ... yes you can do as many as you want in your thread as long as u have all the milestones for the final image ... as far as i know there are no restrictions :)

Thanks, just wanted to be sure :thumbsup:

(now let's see if I can get this posted before I get another 'server too busy'!!)

Spin99
09-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Can I develop two, or more, ideas in parallel, as long as I submit only one final image? Yay does that mean I can post my five other entries?

I'm not even wearing a coat..

pwallin
09-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Yay does that mean I can post my five other entries?

I'm not even wearing a coat..

Yes, just be sure you pick the right one for a final submission.

Pasi

uiron
09-09-2005, 08:57 PM
specific 3D question: can we reuse already made topology? i mean, i have general head topology i made myself, and if i need bony face, i just tweak vertices around, and voila, here it is (well, this is not so straightforward as it actually is, but i'm making the long story short). the same goes for hands, ears, etc. i of course could do that silently, and nobody could tell whether models were made from scratch or from template, but anyway, is this legal? i'm talking about reusing my own models only.

pwallin
09-10-2005, 08:22 AM
specific 3D question: can we reuse already made topology? i mean, i have general head topology i made myself, and if i need bony face, i just tweak vertices around, and voila, here it is (well, this is not so straightforward as it actually is, but i'm making the long story short). the same goes for hands, ears, etc. i of course could do that silently, and nobody could tell whether models were made from scratch or from template, but anyway, is this legal? i'm talking about reusing my own models only.

I think so. At least I've seen a lots of entries done with like that without anyone complain about it. Main thing is, that you build your model on your own from the scratch (no previous models you made in the past especially for wip or completed image). Duplicating objects seem to be ok.

Pasi

Vladius
09-10-2005, 11:14 AM
1. Is it possible to use my resulting artwork for my commercial project promotion?
2. May I use characters and enviroments from my commercial project, even if the answear to question #1 is "no".
3. Am I allowed to use PC only for final image coloring and processing, and draw concept lineart and greyscale shading variants on paper?

R-K
09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
now I understand the obvious fact that nobody's looking for photo paintovers here, so I was wondering how strict you're gonna be with photo based textures etc.? I'm definately not painting over anything, just doing sort of matte painting stuff (obviously without plate). That would include bit of photo texture here and there, is it okay? None of the photos would be identifiable (because of every photo I'd use very very small part of texture to build my own texture).

Or are judges gonna scan the 3600px wide final image in 100% view looking for traces of photos screaming "omg I see a photo!"?

Are judges gonna rate pics also in 100% view and with something that fits into screen without scrolling? I'm asking because I paint my stuff in 25% view and rarely detail in anything more than 50%.. which gives good results, but doesn't look good in high res close ups.

pwallin
09-10-2005, 01:58 PM
now I understand the obvious fact that nobody's looking for photo paintovers here, so I was wondering how strict you're gonna be with photo based textures etc.? I'm definately not painting over anything, just doing sort of matte painting stuff (obviously without plate). That would include bit of photo texture here and there, is it okay? None of the photos would be identifiable (because of every photo I'd use very very small part of texture to build my own texture).

Or are judges gonna scan the 3600px wide final image in 100% view looking for traces of photos screaming "omg I see a photo!"?

Are judges gonna rate pics also in 100% view and with something that fits into screen without scrolling? I'm asking because I paint my stuff in 25% view and rarely detail in anything more than 50%.. which gives good results, but doesn't look good in high res close ups.

I think you can make it how you want it, but make sure no-one finds out. That is because I think every mattepainters use photos at some point, but they paint over them and manipulate them so that no-one will know. They also work in very high detail, so you should work also. That is because one meaning of this challenge is to educate people for print-quality work.

Pasi

R-K
09-10-2005, 04:40 PM
you're wrong to say every matte painter paints over photos. However that's not the question and I was asking for the official rule from the organizers of this contest anyway.

pwallin
09-10-2005, 05:28 PM
you're wrong to say every matte painter paints over photos. However that's not the question and I was asking for the official rule from the organizers of this contest anyway.

I said "mattepainters use photos at some point". Not "all the time" like you seem to understand.
You did not gave any hint that you pointed your aswer to a organizers only, so I gave you a answer based on that.

Pasi

pwallin
09-10-2005, 05:51 PM
This is just hilarious! Here is a two finns not seem to understanding themselves, because they use english language...and I am the other one!

Pasi

BaronImpossible
09-10-2005, 06:43 PM
On some threads I can't post any replies. The WYSIWYG editor won't come up and the status bar just says something like "waiting for img137.imageshack.us" whatever that is. Any ideas?

BTW Why does the editor always come up last, so you have to wait for everything else to load before you can reply? On dial-up this is soooooo tedious...

t3logy
09-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I am an on-line CGTalk-Challenge virgin. I've searched archival challenges and am now completely confused. :shrug:Please, assist me to understanding.
[snip]Main thing is, that you build your model on your own from the scratch (no previous models you made in the past especially for wip or completed image).[snip]Pasi

Would same be true for 2d?as in - can I use pieces of artwork I've previously created, or do I have to recreate the part all over again?

Also, do I write how I did I create as I create, posting the one with the milestone requirement? Or all of it, I've viewed both ways on the forum?

How much documentation is required? How many progress captures is optimum?

I work at the pixel /point level. Is it allowed to nest the screen shot of where I am inside the zoomed-out version so the project is viewed in it's entirety? to document as I create this? or, is it better to present one section at a time?

Thank you in advance for any response.

La'Dene Bean
a.k.a.: t3logy
Oracle
Dark Fury

NOOB!
09-10-2005, 07:45 PM
carlos huante shud be on the jury.

t3logy

no u can't use old pics,must be completly original.

when posting milestones u just have to post a lil description of what u've done,u don't have to type an essay explaining everything you did.

Post as many as u can,not too much though *what i mean by that is,don't post a pic where u've coloured the face,then make a seperate update where u've justed added an eyebrow,its pointless,wait until u have something worth showing*

its completely up to you how u post ur progress,whether its screenshots or a part of the image.

Spin99
09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
Baron Impossible

Hey there. I'm also on dial-up and have maybe less of the same problem.
Let me explain.the status bar just says something like "waiting for img137.imageshack.us"That's the site where most people get free hosting for their images.
It means you are getting bad connectivity to it and it's not downloading the images :argh:
It's either your setup or your ISP's fault.
Mine sometimes just doesn't download and I have to keep refreshing until it all does.
You can also try an Internet accelerator.

Why does the editor always come up last, so you have to wait for everything else to load before you can reply?It also takes a little while to download here.
I think it also has to do with dial-up and connectivity.
Because it's "fancy" it takes a while to download.

About the two Finns, I think they should get their coats too.
Again I'm not wearing one :D

Cheers,
--JC

BaronImpossible
09-10-2005, 08:06 PM
spinn99 - Ah, so that's what imageshack is. Thanks, I thought it might be something to do with this site :)

R-K
09-10-2005, 08:06 PM
lol sorry Pasi :D well I was basically asking if there was a rule of it.. because if there isn't, I'm gonna use my own techniques and if someone doesn't like it, not my fault.

t3logy
09-10-2005, 08:36 PM
[snip] no u can't use old pics,must be completly original. [snip]

Thank you for respose. To make certain I am understanding: I cannot take the hands from the image i created of Jess to use in image for the spectacular. Correct?

Tx,

La'Dene

NOOB!
09-10-2005, 08:38 PM
lol,well u cud of if u didn't just tell everyone heh.....

nah i'm sure lil things like that don't matter.

LEEBLEEB
09-10-2005, 11:42 PM
nah i'm sure lil things like that don't matter.

You just said lil, what are you up to noob..:curious:

LadyMedusa
09-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Can I use the/a concept posted in my 2D enty, but not used, in my 3D entry (if I decide to try that one)?

NOOB!
09-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Can i ask how come there are no wacom prizes this year? its a big downer especially on the 2d side.

ah well maybe next time :deal:

Teas
09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Is retouching of the rendering allowed by e.g. Photoshop?

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
09-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Hi. Sorry if someone already asked about it.
I have a unfinished work in a (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) section. can i use its objects and character for this chalenge? what if i delete my (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) thread ? then is it possible to use it?

Wysiwyg
09-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I acutally sat though 12 pages of this FAQ to make sure I don't repeat any questions...ugh.

This post did intrigue me though...

hi :)

does the "spectacular" mean :

1- woooaaahh look at that pic. so much details and so much skill in this image. great image well render and good composition etc...

or

2- woooaahh i wish i could have been there to see the event describe in the image by myself

To which this was the response...

#2 - Whoah, look at that [wave/crash/explosion/flamingo]

As everyone is equating 'spectacular' around excitement and energy (in this case "whoooaaa"....Can I ask about a possible 3rd option??

#3-um...uh...wow..that's pretty messed up...damn

Basically my entry is going to be a bit static, really drawing in on emotion that is produced AFTER an event...but is still significant nonetheless...

Just wondering if that with my painting being of that nature...not so much out of the ordinary as a significant emotive scene...would that be acceptable.

Good luck to all the other entries!

NOOB!
09-11-2005, 09:04 PM
lol its ANYTHING U THINK IS SPECTACULAR

its like u guys want everyone to tell u exactly what to make

its kinda funny cos this challenge really doesn't have much boundries,and it seems in order to produce good art,artists need boundries

i think we've all learnt a lesson here :D

[/short rant]

hope i helped.... :blush: hehe

t3logy
09-11-2005, 09:35 PM
lol its ANYTHING U THINK IS SPECTACULAR
[snip]its kinda funny cos this challenge really doesn't have much boundries,and it seems in order to produce good art,artists need boundries

i think we've all learnt a lesson here :D [snip] hope i helped.... :blush: hehe

You have helped. Thank you. I'm was stuck interpreting the mission. A minimum of 20 starts, and still flapping around like a fish out of the stream. As the gentleman asked, my topic may not be one of the "Whoa! You should have been there!" as much as "Thank All That Is you were'nt there!" I understand the emotives, and that is where I headed. Not certain what the judges will be after. I'm looking forward to go back sort of thing.

Thanks again for the kick in the rear to jump start.:wise:

T3

Mibus
09-11-2005, 11:33 PM
I have a unfinished work in a (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) section. can i use its objects and character for this chalenge? what if i delete my (WIP/Critique: 3D Stills) thread ? then is it possible to use it?

No. You must make everything for the challenge during the challenge :)

Is retouching of the rendering allowed by e.g. Photoshop?

Most definately!

Can I use the/a concept posted in my 2D enty, but not used, in my 3D entry (if I decide to try that one)?

Yes, you just can't use the same concept in both - if you change your 3D concept, then use the old concept for your 2D WIP, that's fine.

I cannot take the hands from the image i created of Jess to use in image for the spectacular. Correct?

Correct.

1. Is it possible to use my resulting artwork for my commercial project promotion?
2. May I use characters and enviroments from my commercial project, even if the answear to question #1 is "no".
3. Am I allowed to use PC only for final image coloring and processing, and draw concept lineart and greyscale shading variants on paper?

#1: It doesn't seem to go against the terms and conditions (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/terms_conditions.html)...
#2: No.
#3: That sounds OK, as long as the bulk of the WIPs are PC-based.

You shouldn't, no.

1. I read earlier on in this thread that FTP is not up yet. I'm not looking for a specific date or anything, but perhaps a rough estimate of when it will be up - I know i'll be away for a couple of weeks for work, so if it conincides with the submission deadline - obviously I would have to finish my work earlier and be able to upload it.

It will probably be up a few weeks (3-4?) before the end of the challenge. If you have everything ready (print-res TIFF and all) a few days before you go away, email me and we can sort out an alternative upload strategy for you. Make sure there's enough time for me to check you've done everything though!

2. Regarding the minimum pixel measurements on images. I assume that it should always adhere to the minimum pixel dimension of the orioentation of the canvas? For example if i want to make a tall, narrow picture, the width should still be a minimum of 2657 pixels?

The real thing we want is for the pixelcount to be "high". The example sizes are enough to print an A4 page with good quality; if you double one dimension, half the other, etc. etc. and you'll be fine. We don't want 800x600 final TIFFs though :)

Spin99
09-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi there,

I just wanted to know if all images we post to our thread have to be milestones.
The consequences being that I wanted to have some modelling steps for the official submission
hosted on a free server (previews?) without submitting them as milestones?

Or to we have to submit every image on the competition thread as a milestone?
I'm currently hosting something remotely that I don't really want to submit as a milestone (just yet?)
I'd rather prepare a better comp with all my modelling steps

I just wanted to know if this is OK and I'm not disqualifying myself?
I can fix it preety quickly :D

Mibus
09-11-2005, 11:55 PM
As long as you have at least one of each milestone uploaded to the challenge server, you're fine.

Ones uploaded anywhere else don't count towards the requirements and don't appear on the challenge "View Entries" area.

Spin99
09-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Thanks Mibus, I'll post some WIPS along the way then :D

Ducklator
09-12-2005, 02:51 AM
I've seen some updates that could be clasificated like "Incredibles", I mean, something irreal. This confuses me, 'cause I read in the terms and conditions that must be something within the limits of the possible. This implies that it can be something unreal but possible?, or is due to become attached strictly to the reality?:shrug:
so, can I add something "irreal" even my concept is based on the real history?

detached
09-12-2005, 03:27 AM
How can I get a thumb of my project on the forum page?

Vladius
09-12-2005, 08:10 AM
#2: No.

Did U mean that it is not possible to use allready drawn characters(copy&paste), or not possible to use even character concepts, posed and shaded uniqely for the contest. Remember that I am talking about 2D contest.

pwallin
09-12-2005, 09:23 AM
"specific 3D question: can we reuse already made topology? i mean, i have general head topology i made myself, and if i need bony face, i just tweak vertices around, and voila, here it is (well, this is not so straightforward as it actually is, but i'm making the long story short). the same goes for hands, ears, etc. i of course could do that silently, and nobody could tell whether models were made from scratch or from template, but anyway, is this legal? i'm talking about reusing my own models only."

Mibus: You shouldn't, no.

So to be sure. I cannot make a head (completely scratch), duplicate it and deform it to make a different lookin face?

If that is correct, I am very sorry to inform that last time someone won even a prize using this technique. Artist even described process in wip-section. I do not wan't to say that artist's name, unless Mibus asks it. I hope I understood wrongly in this case about rules.

Pasi

Ducklator
09-12-2005, 11:01 PM
BIG TROUBLES huh...???:sad:

Mibus
09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
pwallin, email me :)

NOOB!
09-13-2005, 07:26 AM
So to be sure. I cannot make a head (completely scratch), duplicate it and deform it to make a different lookin face?

If that is correct, I am very sorry to inform that last time someone won even a prize using this technique. Artist even described process in wip-section. I do not wan't to say that artist's name, unless Mibus asks it. I hope I understood wrongly in this case about rules.

Pasi

:eek:
lol its not like they are gunna take the prize back......or will they *DUN DUN DUUUUUUN*

pwallin
09-13-2005, 09:19 AM
pwallin, email me :)

Sorry for late answer. cgtalk was down yesterday everytime I tried to log in. I have now sent you two mails. One has a sentence from artists wip including it's date.

Pasi

Drakula
09-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I didn't read whole FAQ, but I think that won't be bad if I ask a question ;)

Can I post my work (pictures that I've posted on CGN earlier) on other forums to talk with other people about the image (and ask them for an opinion) ?

Mibus
09-14-2005, 12:26 AM
After private chats with pwallin and Vladius, I've found I misunderstood the question.

Question #1: Can I use something I did somewhere else, in the challenge?
Answer #1: No.

Question #2: Can I use something I did in the challenge, again in the challenge (copy-paste in the entry).
Answer #2: Yes.

Ducklator
09-14-2005, 12:44 AM
I've seen some updates that could be clasificated like "Incredibles", I mean, something irreal. This confuses me, 'cause I read in the terms and conditions that must be something within the limits of the possible. This implies that it can be something unreal but possible?, or is due to become attached strictly to the reality?:shrug:
so, can I add something "irreal" even my concept is based on the real history?

Mibus, I'm glad if you could answer me....:sad:

Mibus
09-14-2005, 01:01 AM
It only has to be vaguely believable - nobody would believe that real aliens were filmed in War Of The Worlds, or that real dinosaurs were filmed for Jurassic Park; as long as it's "close enough" to being "within the realm of possibility", it's OK.

We also don't expect photo-real for every entry - cartoony or stylized entries are fine.

pwallin
09-14-2005, 03:16 PM
After private chats with pwallin and Vladius, I've found I misunderstood the question.

Question #2: Can I use something I did in the challenge, again in the challenge (copy-paste in the entry).
Answer #2: Yes.

Glad that it was cleared up! Now I can stop modeling my 1467:th rivet from scratch. ;)

Pasi

GonzaloGolpe
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi! I´ve a naivequestion:) . Right now I´m sketching my spectacular proposal. I´m spanish and...What does line art mean?Perhaps does it refer to the work before coloring?thanks so much for answering this silly question:thumbsup:

Zalo

Mordalles
09-14-2005, 08:54 PM
We also don't expect photo-real for every entry - cartoony or stylized entries are fine.

thew! thx mibus. now i can aim for photo-real, and say that my failure is a stylized pictured. hehe.

Ducklator
09-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Hi! I´ve a naivequestion:) . Right now I´m sketching my spectacular proposal. I´m spanish and...What does line art mean?Perhaps does it refer to the work before coloring?thanks so much for answering this silly question:thumbsup:

Zalo

Line Art viene despues de tu Concep Sketch y antes de Coloring WIP ..... hahaha:twisted: bueno, despues de que ya tienes tu concepto establecido, haces uno nuevo, que va a ser el definitivo, pero aun sin coloracion.. digamos que en 'blanco y negro' o lineas artisticas... ok! en pocas palabras, cuando digas "ya nada mas me falta ponerle color!" en ese momento vas a tener listo tu Line Art.. espero que me entiendas o ke me halla explicado bien....

si ya agregaste colores, pues trata de cubrir estos puntos mas o menos como creas necesario para que puedan aplicar en cada caso...

suerte!!!:thumbsup:

Zephyri
09-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Hi guys, I have a quick query. Reading over the instructions for this challenge, I wondered, it says that things should be within the realms of the possible. Obviously the issue of aliens or dinosaurs could be possible and has been addressed, but I was wondering about mythical creatures like angels/demons/dragons, that sort of thing. Is this still classed as within the realms of the possible, or does it simply pertain to our actual reality, be that past, present or future?

I ask because I have a concept involving angels and demons, and I don't really know whether it conforms to that rule.

My thanks to anyone who might clear this up for me, and my apologies if this has been asked, I've checked through most of the pages of queries, but on dial up, it takes aaages. :D

trancecaster
09-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi guys, I have a quick query. Reading over the instructions for this challenge, I wondered, it says that things should be within the realms of the possible. Obviously the issue of aliens or dinosaurs could be possible and has been addressed, but I was wondering about mythical creatures like angels/demons/dragons, that sort of thing. Is this still classed as within the realms of the possible, or does it simply pertain to our actual reality, be that past, present or future?

Well, i think there's no limits, as there is that future aspect. What is sure we don't know what the future will be. Who knows if after three million years people haves seven legs and they looks like ducks...or something else like that, even more silly. In future EVERYTHING is possible, even impossible (not so long time ago people thought that earth is flat). Just choose the subject and style you see spectacular and go with that;)

Shramir
09-15-2005, 02:48 AM
well i know this is really sad...

but as you know the jpeg file size for 2D WIP submission is 150kb, and i cant seem to get my file size to 150kb without making it look like total crap (resolution wise).
argg please someone help me out, i guess i just dont have the software knowledge at this point...but i love to draw and im so excited about this contest!
im using photoshop and currently my psd version is about 48mb. i changed the file size and resolution and lowered the quality of the jpeg but that obviously doesnt work out the way id like so what do i need to do?

this is embarassing but i gotta get my stuff in! some of my other buddies didnt know what to do either, so this is my last resort.

thank you so much!!

- shramír :cry:

GonzaloGolpe
09-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Line Art viene despues de tu Concep Sketch y antes de Coloring WIP ..... hahaha:twisted: bueno, despues de que ya tienes tu concepto establecido, haces uno nuevo, que va a ser el definitivo, pero aun sin coloracion.. digamos que en 'blanco y negro' o lineas artisticas... ok! en pocas palabras, cuando digas "ya nada mas me falta ponerle color!" en ese momento vas a tener listo tu Line Art.. espero que me entiendas o ke me halla explicado bien....

si ya agregaste colores, pues trata de cubrir estos puntos mas o menos como creas necesario para que puedan aplicar en cada caso...

suerte!!!:thumbsup:

Ah, ok, justo lo que yo pensaba, jejej, te has explicado muy bien, muchas gracias tío. Pues vamos dentro de poco a por el Line Art:D

Zalo

t3logy
09-15-2005, 11:44 AM
[snip]
but as you know the jpeg file size for 2D WIP submission is 150kb, and i cant seem to get my file size to 150kb without making it look like total crap (resolution wise).
argg please someone help me out, i guess i just dont have the software knowledge at this point...[snip]thank you so much!!

- shramír :cry:

It took me the better part of a day playing around with the different settings to get evern remotely close to the targeted 150kb. As you have noted, it kills the quality of my piece. I use Corel Photopaint, however, I did achieve a modicum of success reducing the overall size of the image, compromising resolution by -50, and toying with conversion options when converting to JPEG. I will attempt converting to thumnails via Fireworks to see if that improves my end product.

My thought was to get something up. Hope quality of documentation phase in this competition doesn't impinge final scoring.

Thank you for posting this as I had not thought to do so.

La'Dene
a.k.a. t3logy

BaronImpossible
09-15-2005, 12:16 PM
well i know this is really sad...

What res are you trying to compress to? Are you anti-aliasing the resampled image? An image of, say, 700px should be pin-sharp when compressed down to 150K. All of my gallery images are less than 150K (even sharpened photos) and at this compression it's not possible to distinguish between compressed JPGs and the original PSDs / TIFs without zooming in.

newcenturydsn
09-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Does my lineart milestone have to be of...or a variation of my final WIP?

Cheers

Shramir
09-15-2005, 04:53 PM
What res are you trying to compress to? Are you anti-aliasing the resampled image? An image of, say, 700px should be pin-sharp when compressed down to 150K. All of my gallery images are less than 150K (even sharpened photos) and at this compression it's not possible to distinguish between compressed JPGs and the original PSDs / TIFs without zooming in.

actually when i reduce the image size and resulution its fine.....but i just cant get it smaller then 150 without making it very small (like 400px).. and even when i do that its still like 300kb so id have to make the quality of the jpeg really low and it just looks horrible.

what steps do you take when your compressing your images? agh this is the first time ive ever really had to compress my stuff and keep it looking good so i have no idea what to do. *sigh*

thank you all for helping me, your all awesome!
takk
shramír

JuanManuel
09-15-2005, 05:14 PM
I hope this does not start a flame war or something,
but what about using Poser ONLY for rigging and cloth simulation on models I do outside Poser? Or is Poser excluded for anything and everything? I want to be on the safe side...

Shramir
09-15-2005, 05:51 PM
i dont know why i hadent thought to do this earlier but i looked online for ways to make a quality compression out of your psd and i found out how! yay

haha

after reducing the file size as a psd, i had been trying to save as a jpeg and reducing the quality when converting to jpeg but i read that its good to save using "save for web" and mess around in there instead...
i dont know if thats what all you other guys do but that seemed to work pretty well, so thanks again to all that helped me!
:applause:

bless bless
shramír

Cartesius
09-15-2005, 09:47 PM
A: Yes, but they will have to be modified to suit your image. If stock textures are recognised there may be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Does this also mean that commercial textures (like say the 3D Total CD's) are allowed?

/Anders

Mibus
09-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Does my lineart milestone have to be of...or a variation of my final WIP?

The lineart milestone should be a step in the progress between concept art and the coloring phase.

after reducing the file size as a psd, i had been trying to save as a jpeg and reducing the quality when converting to jpeg but i read that its good to save using "save for web" and mess around in there instead...

You should always use "Save for Web" for images you are putting somewhere else; Photoshop has some slightly unusual things it does with JPEG images if you just do "Save As" which can confuse many browsers. We run it through a number of file filters to remove most of it, but it's always advisable anyway.

but what about using Poser ONLY for rigging and cloth simulation on models I do outside Poser? Or is Poser excluded for anything and everything? I want to be on the safe side...

Only using Poser to generate models is disallowed.

Drakula
09-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Can I use textures (in 2D image) in overlay mode to make bark (on trees), instead of painting it ?

Drakula
09-20-2005, 04:24 PM
I won't be mad if someone could answer me :)

Jdgill
09-20-2005, 08:59 PM
How do I enter?

skyarrow19
09-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Okay I'm a total newbie here-

I entered the challenge, now how do I post my WIPs? Do I need to creat a new thread in the WIP section of CGTalk or do I post to the thread I have in the Challenge section?

If I post to the thread that was created for my entry in the challenge section, how do I post an image to it and have it show up as a thumbnail in the thread listings? I posted one WIP, but my listing is still showing the CGTalk logo.

Mibus
09-21-2005, 12:20 AM
You enter here:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/enter.php

Submit your work here:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/submit_entry.php

If you don't use the second link to submit your art, your WIPs won't be counted and you may be disqualified.

Can I use textures (in 2D image) in overlay mode to make bark (on trees), instead of painting it ?

If you make the textures, definately. If you've gotten them from somewhere else, you really should modify them first.

From the FAQ:

reForm
09-21-2005, 09:11 AM
This may be a bit of a nebulous question, but I am a little unsure as to how to interpret the difference between the 'instructions' page and the examples given in the 'inspiration' page.

Let me explain.

All the examples given in the inspiration page depict scenes that are captured on camera, one-off, chance in a million situations. They suggest that the image is from the POV of the narrator or cameraman, ie 1st person views

The instructions page on the other hand makes no such specific requirement, infact it encourages us to push past the commonly understood meaning of the theme - "Artists are encouraged to think beyond traditional or conventional interpretations of the theme." so that suggests to me images of spectacular things from impossible POVs; views that are unattainable in real life.

It seems that most works being submitted are from a 3rd person POV, rather than a 1st person. I guess this isn't a major issue, but I wonder if the believability of the POV is considered as part of the judging criteria? Are the judges looking to see the emotion of the 'viewer' of a scene, or is the scene itself supposed to evoke the emotion in the viewer? OR does it not matter, and we are free to do either... ?

Discuss! :shrug:

(maybe I am reading too much into things :) )

Segvoia
09-21-2005, 02:36 PM
My understanding of the challenge is that entries should be based on probable events. Is the use of symbolism allowed? For example just to use a well worn cliche, depicting an angel...

Spin99
09-22-2005, 12:00 AM
Hi there,

Just wanted to know if we can submit wips to our competition entry
labelled as milestones?

This has already happened to me, but mostly due to my lack of experience?
Sometimes you want to update something you already submitted as a milestone,
and so the previous entry becomes a WIP.

So I just wanted to know if we can spam all our wips as milestones or
we need to be more careful there?
Will the judges take it against you? If so, is it a big mistake?

Mibus
09-22-2005, 01:35 AM
(maybe I am reading too much into things :) )

Do what you like - the inspiration page is just some stories & images to get you thinking.

Is the use of symbolism allowed?

Of course :)

Just wanted to know if we can submit wips to our competition entry
labelled as milestones?

That's precisely what you're supposed to do :thumbsup:

batcha
09-23-2005, 10:54 PM
what if we made our final image by merging our two concept sketches?like working on my charectors of first sketch and i change my background to my second sketch??

Pixeldragoon
09-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Not sure if this has been answered yet-

I've seen a few dragon illos or fantasy illos, but they can't be part of history because they never existed. What's the deal with that? I've read the instructions over, but either people found loopholes or didn't read the rules fully, because I'm confused!

mosquito718
09-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi
I'm entered in the challenge and I wanted to ask if it was possible to change the composition or add a new final concept sketch after modelling- same concept but just moving figures around in the composition. I started submitting modelling milestones already but I'm not happy yet with the placement of the characters. Is there a penalty for that? Thanks.

Mibus
09-25-2005, 11:25 PM
what if we made our final image by merging our two concept sketches?like working on my charectors of first sketch and i change my background to my second sketch??

That's fine.

I've seen a few dragon illos or fantasy illos, but they can't be part of history because they never existed. What's the deal with that? I've read the instructions over, but either people found loopholes or didn't read the rules fully, because I'm confused!

It's not so much that it has to be actually real, it has to be 'believably' real. Dragon's aren't real, but they sure look it if you see them in a movie - same general idea.

I'm entered in the challenge and I wanted to ask if it was possible to change the composition or add a new final concept sketch after modelling- same concept but just moving figures around in the composition. I started submitting modelling milestones already but I'm not happy yet with the placement of the characters.

That's totally fine.

batcha
09-26-2005, 09:34 AM
i have started modeling .i m confused with my concept now after reading a reply in my post.my concept is:-
I have depicted a pregnant women holding a leaf
in one hand and Scissor in the other.The leaf signifies
life and the scissors sumthing that can stop or cut the very
flow of life.In the background i wanted to show crows playing
depicting death evrywhere.Basically thats the irony of her beauty
n her power to give life and take.She is very sensitive towards her
environment (which is depicted by hair covered body).
My attempt is to have a spiritual meaning attached to it.

And in my reply somebody repld me:-
I really like your concept and the final concept image :bounce:
but ... I don't see exactly the relation to the topic of the challenge :sad:

Where is the spectacular moment ?.

Now i m confused pleas tell me.Am i going wrong with the concept?or my concept is out of topic.?? what is spectacular moment??which u can c with ur eyes??or u have seen in the moveis??why emotions can not be spectacular??I just want to picturise emotion felings. pleas give me answer as detailed as u can this will be a great help for me.i think my concept is difrent but now i m confused i m on right track or not?
(sorry for my bad english)

baungureanu
09-26-2005, 10:14 AM
is hand drawing allowed as part of the final picture; for example: accents or background image?... in other words, is scanned hand drawing allowed at all? and if it is, in what percentage of the final image?

baungureanu

baungureanu
09-26-2005, 10:23 AM
may i use 3d modelling to apply in the final 2d picture? for example a terrain image made in vue generator applied as a background in my final picture or even as a front plane...?

baungureanu

t3logy
09-26-2005, 01:29 PM
i have started modeling .i m confused with my concept {snip} ... I have [snip] The leaf signifies life and the scissors sumthing that can stop or cut the very
flow of life. [snip] ... crows playing depicting death evrywhere. [snip] ... sensitive towards her environment (which is depicted by hair covered body). [snip] ... attempt is to have a spiritual meaning attached to it.

And in my reply somebody repld me:- Where is the spectacular moment ?.

Now i m confused pleas tell me. Am i going wrong with the concept? or my concept is out of topic.?? what is spectacular moment?? which u can c with ur eyes?? or u have seen in the moveis?? why emotions can not be spectacular?? I just want to picturise emotion felings. pleas give me answer as detailed as u can this will be a great help for me. i think my concept is difrent but now i m confused i m on right track or not?
(sorry for my bad english)

The instructions: excites and scares at same time. judged on emotive and narrative elements, depth of feeling and the power of the relationship as portrayed by the image clarity of thought and emotion A once in a lifetime event. • Be original. Think beyond conventional imagery.

By your description, your interpretation is most accurate. Compelling actually, clearly illustrating depth of feeling, will be emotive. Your narrative (above) says it all.

I understand your concern, and clarification will be greatly appreciated, as I also have opted for a unique theme (minus overt catastrophe) dependant on depth of feeling and power behind the relationship. In my most humble of opinions, your interpretation is the competition stated goal. Yours is most original.

Best of luck to you. I love your concept.:applause:

La'Dene Bean
a.k.a.: Oracle of the Dark Fury

t3logy
09-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I've changed what I want to do.

Is my understanding correct:

To do a different concept I need to delete all exisiting posted images?
Then post the new ones?
Also, may I alter images or use existing portions of my current submission for the new one , i.e. background skies, animals, etc.) or do I have to start all over?
Thank you.

La'Dene Bean:sad:

Mibus
09-26-2005, 11:43 PM
To do a different concept I need to delete all exisiting posted images?
Then post the new ones?
Also, may I alter images or use existing portions of my current submission for the new one , i.e. background skies, animals, etc.) or do I have to start all over?

1. No
2. Yes
3. Re-use is fine

is hand drawing allowed as part of the final picture; for example: accents or background image?... in other words, is scanned hand drawing allowed at all? and if it is, in what percentage of the final image?

Yes, as long as your image is "primarily digital".

may i use 3d modelling to apply in the final 2d picture? for example a terrain image made in vue generator applied as a background in my final picture or even as a front plane...?

Yes.

batcha
09-27-2005, 12:57 PM
What are the requirements for submitting final artwork via FTP? File size limitations, e.t.c Please provide more details on submission procedure,U don't state who owns the space? do we have to submit ur milestones in hires too?do we have to submit "the making of" with our final image?

Vahn
09-27-2005, 04:52 PM
batcha: only the final image in highres via ftp , no other milestones and a making of only after the challenge when you are one of the winners

an easy to use ftp client can be found here : http://www.smartftp.com/

batcha
09-28-2005, 07:55 PM
can we use real photo graphs(captured by camera) as a texture??or we have to paint all ??how minimum/maximum resolution we have to use for our textures ??can we tweek our final 3d rendered image in photoshop .how much we can tweek ?like blur sharpen color correction etc.??

Mibus
09-29-2005, 12:31 AM
can we use real photo graphs(captured by camera) as a texture??or we have to paint all ??

For 3D entries, you can use photo-textures you've made yourself without any problems.

how minimum/maximum resolution we have to use for our textures ??

Anything you want.

can we tweek our final 3d rendered image in photoshop .how much we can tweek ?like blur sharpen color correction etc.??

As much as you want.

alancamara
09-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi, i've a question.

I'm working in my spectacular themme and i've a doubts about this part of the instructions

Your challenge is to conceive and create an image that could potentially become part of future history....

This is my concept (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/11/7921/7921_1126191582_medium.jpg), i will have some problem because this?

description:
The idea is to show the star of a 50's circus. "The strongest man in the world". A man that can lift a car, an airplane and an elephant. his name: James. A man who is 46 years old, a veteran with extensive circus experience, great fame and ripped muscles. A paradox exists between the raw strength of James displayed by his overwhelming power to lift a chained elephant and innoscently fragile an looking girl, hoding a single baloon.

Sorry for my english

Spin99
10-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi,
Just wanted to know if we can submit a work based on
the competition entry to another gallery?

To be more specific, if I take part of one of the models in my entry,
and do a separate render, can I post it elsewhere?
I'd really like to know.

A3DLover
10-02-2005, 11:22 PM
- Technical -

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?
A: Yes....?
But can bryce be used for the actual render(s)?

Mibus
10-04-2005, 01:13 AM
The idea is to show the star of a 50's circus.
That's fine :)

To be more specific, if I take part of one of the models in my entry,
and do a separate render, can I post it elsewhere?
Sure.

But can bryce be used for the actual render(s)?
Yes.

black-hand-77
10-04-2005, 09:14 AM
I was stupid. I posted my final image before posting the sketches and the other stages of my work. If I can not undo that, how can I post some sketches to prove my capabilities in this challenge?http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

Mibus
10-05-2005, 12:12 AM
If I can not undo that, how can I post some sketches to prove my capabilities in this challenge?images/icons/icon11.gif

Just go back and post them - there's nothing stopping you from revisiting a milestone if you've "passed" it.

MechaHateChimp
10-06-2005, 06:40 AM
Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?
A: No.

Im under the impression that this answer leans toward 3D submissions. What if I am creating a 2D submission and use a pre fab model to light for reference? I normally do this to get an idea of where my light source will hit. I dont composite my renders because they are very rough, but I do use them to refence lighting. Is this ok?

Mibus
10-06-2005, 06:52 AM
If it's just for reference, I don't see why not.

Gremlin
10-06-2005, 03:09 PM
I want to do a recreation of Sir Frank Dicksee's Romeo & Juliet (http://www.art-inspirations.com/images/dicksee-romeo_and_juliet.jpg) using a retro-futuristic architecture, and robotic characters intead of humans to illustrate the passion and love between machines.

What are the rules behind using existing artwork as a strong influence (or moreso, a stylized recreation of existing artwork)? As far as concept art goes, is it okay if I trace some of Dicksee's painting and draw in some of my own and post that (on the condition that I credit Dicksee)? Will I be docked by the judges in terms of creativity (or does that depend on my execution of the piece, regardless of my influences)

I also thought of using Michelangelo's "creation of adam" but twisted into "creation of machine"...with a human in god's chair, and a robot in place of adam--this goes along the same idea...

is there some red tape I should be wary of, or is it pretty much open?

Mibus
10-11-2005, 06:18 AM
You should probably stay on the safe side and do something totally original.

ali-rahimi-shahmirzadi
10-12-2005, 03:05 PM
hi.my work in a 3d challenge is a personal short film (i want to submit it in a animation festivals), and one of its shoot will be a final image. iam making this short film only for this Spectacular-3D challenge.is it against a rule of this challeng or not? thanks

batcha
10-12-2005, 03:26 PM
hi can i use dream scape or after burn gnerated sky and clouds ?can i use final render?can i use max defalt textures like dusk cloud textures included in max setup?how to post my texturing milestone do i have to post full images or every texture i m using.bcos i have lots of models and texture in my scene how do i post all?in one image or post them sepretly one by one??

Mibus
10-13-2005, 02:49 AM
hi.my work in a 3d challenge is a personal short film (i want to submit it in a animation festivals), and one of its shoot will be a final image. iam making this short film only for this Spectacular-3D challenge.is it against a rule of this challeng or not? thanks

If you're making it for the challenge, but are just using it outside later on, then that's fine.

hi can i use dream scape or after burn gnerated sky and clouds ?

That should be fine.

can i use final render?

Yes.

can i use max defalt textures like dusk cloud textures included in max setup?

You shouldn't, at least unless you significantly alter them for your own purposes.

how to post my texturing milestone do i have to post full images or every texture i m using.bcos i have lots of models and texture in my scene how do i post all?in one image or post them sepretly one by one??

You can post it however you wish :)

smurph
10-15-2005, 02:04 AM
If I find a photo on the web that has the right perspective of a building or whatever that I would like to use as a foundation for my idea can I use this as a template and paint on top of it on a different layer. Is this considered cheating in a way, would there be a penalty?
Thanks.

OrO
10-15-2005, 02:55 PM
i have a big problem...i paint my image on a more powerful computer but post it on the net on another..the colors on the big computer look so much vivid and bright (samsung syncmaster 710N) on the other one i have an AOC Spectrum glr -an old screen...pls look at my last two pictures and tell me if the first one loooks too dark or the second one to bright..thank you:)

chrismoose
10-20-2005, 07:15 AM
hi,
i cant find anywhere how to load up the final tiff, for the 2d challenge, to the sites ftp. is there a special address?
you need to spell it out a bit better how to upload the final ftp part of the challenge.

regards,
chris.

OrO
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
well..when the time is right you'll recive an email with a ftp adress ad instructions but it's not that time yet..as i remember from last time

chrismoose
10-20-2005, 06:52 PM
thanks for your reply, OrO. i shall just wait quietly in this corner:)
cheers,
chris

mb
10-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Stupid question ... but not sure about it: Is it allowed to take a selfmade photo of a person in a special pose and overpaint the main part of the character and add other handpainted textures and light to it? Or is it just allowed to use it as reference and it must be painted completly? .... I mean for matte paintings its allowed to use photos. Also for characters?
I came to his question because prefrabricated characters are in 3d not allowed, and someone told me that overpainting can be a problem. I just want to be sure. I don't want to be disqualified because of that:D Thanks!

medunecer
10-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Hallo!

Just one question:
In my image I have three characters, an alien and two cops;
I have modeled and textured one of the cops three months ago.
Is it considered prefabricated? It was modeled by me from the first to the last poly, but I started it three months ago.
Can I use it?
Thanks

hindus
10-24-2005, 09:53 AM
whats the deadline ? I mean when's the battle finish ?