PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Rigging: the blog

goosh
08-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi all

The talented Angie Jones is writing a new book and she asked me to rig the mascot for it.

The character to rig is a cartoon clown and the requirements are that it should be mega cartoony. So I decided to put up a blog on how Iím going about rigging it, the thoughts, the processes, etc.

There has been an incredible amount of cartoon stuff coming out recently. Madagascar was the first feature film to start pushing the envelope on the cartoon side and chicken little is following, with many more to come.

Itís very cool what a lot of people are doing these days so Iím hoping to share some of those thoughts and ideas with everybody.

To check out the blog go to:
http://www.strutyourreel.com/~rigging/ (http://www.strutyourreel.com/%7Erigging/)

Iíll update it almost daily with all the latest developments.

Happy rigging Goosh

For those interested on more cg animation news, topics and feature artists, check out
http://www.strutyourreel.com (http://www.strutyourreel.com/)

thematt
08-09-2005, 09:31 AM
very cool will check that as mush as i can since i'll be setuping cartoon characters later this yar..

cthks for the head on

cheers

Atwooki
08-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Great stuff going down there, Javier :) Kind of blog you can really get stuck into!

Thanks as ever for all the useful tips 'n ticks - very generous of you..

what did you make of my dog, btw :curious: ?

all the best

Chris

Tughan
08-18-2005, 12:10 AM
This is really cool. You're doing very "inspiring" things there my friend. Even though I use 3D Studio Max, basic ideas are usually could've suitable to any 3D software. It's so much fun to keep checking your blog. (I'll definately update my blog (http://www.tughan.com/wip/mouse/index.htm) more often:D )

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Layer01
08-18-2005, 01:03 AM
thanks this sort of thing is extremely usefull to people like me who are just starting to learn rigging :)
so thanks very much, i'll be readling this :thumbsup:

Milho
08-18-2005, 01:42 AM
Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

MikeRhone
08-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Its very cool to see cartoony rigs nowadays. Huge props for freely giving your knowledge to 'the masses'. I suspect you will see a lot more in the way of CG squash and stretch in the coming year...!

Mike R

malcolmTG
08-18-2005, 03:00 AM
i was checking out your blog earlier today. you definitely get mass credit for sharing you knowledge with the rest of us. i'm looking forward to reading the rest of what you have to say.

andy_maxman
08-18-2005, 05:23 AM
I suspect you will see a lot more in the way of CG squash and stretch in the coming year...!

and thats gonna be sssoooooo 'swell' news for the animators........

enthombed
08-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Tnks for sharing dude, this link help so much.

Icaro

Slurry
08-18-2005, 03:12 PM
This is one of the coolest new developments I've heard of in a long time. Rigging is so important and alot of people are inimidated by it.
This will certainly enrich the community. Thanks Javier.

Art

manditri
08-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I discovered ur blog yesterday...and thot why hasnt this come to light yet....I was happy to saok up everything thinking this is exclusive material that few people have come to know :D ....but like all good things(CG) I am sure this blog too is goin to gather lot of activity....really appreciate ur efforts and will be following ur page...

Keep it up:thumbsup:

aaraaf
08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I just storyboarded out a squiggly leg thing, and thought I'd just use some modifiers and morph targets on the leg to get the look I want... but now after seeing your blog I might just try and build the rig to do it naturally....

Hmmmm...

Great and inspiring work!

Book
08-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing Goosh. Angie is great. Do you have any more info on her new book?

Your blog is great too. I'll keep checking in!

Josh

goosh
08-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey everybody.

Thanks.. glad that you are liking it and hopefully you can find it useful.

It's been a blast so far to work on it.

Javier

what did you make of my dog, btw :curious: ?

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks.. Don't worry.. I'll work on the dog next! It's a great model and I've learnt/I'm learning a lot building the clown. I'll apply a lot of that stuff into the dog next.. I'll probably blog it too.. :D

Ramteen
08-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Oh man , thanks For really cool rigging informations sharing .Goodluck...:thumbsup:

sgbox
08-19-2005, 09:10 AM
hi, hey man really cool rigging. very good,

maelstrom
08-19-2005, 02:57 PM
cool site, I will definitely check in regularly... :) Thanks for sharing!

goosh
08-19-2005, 04:09 PM
:D cool.. glad people like it

I'm hoping to have the main setup wrapped up by the end of the month.

That should include the whole puppet and all the facial crazyness

pressure is on!!

G

DaddyMack
08-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Go Goosh!

Great theory and implementation so far man;)

Keep it going...

arkkitekktura
08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Very good goosh, let us know when its done.
Saludos
Francisco

CGTalk Moderation
08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.