PDA

View Full Version : Setting up eye constraints

BWood
08-09-2005, 12:50 AM
Hello again to everyone. I've finished my character and I wanted to set up a simple eye constraint system. Does anyone have a simple constraint system for eye setups?

WoodsyB :curious:

pixade
08-11-2005, 02:35 AM
i'm actually doing that for the first time also, i don't know if there's a 'simple' way of doing it.

i was goin to create joints that are parents to the eye balls, one for each. then i was goin to aim constrain it to a control object, like a curve which is somewhere in front of the eyes. in theory it sounds like it will work .... i could be wrong though since i haven't done it yet.

christian108
08-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Create your eyes and place them with the character in the bind pose. This is important otherwise the eyes will pop. Some put the eyes in after weighting. But if you have not weighted your character no need to think of this. Selecting the eye, go to display--component display --rotate pivot points. This will give the eye joints something to snap to. Create a joint by using the joint tool and holding v at the same time to snap to the center rotate pivot. Press enter and name your joint. Parent your eye joint to the head.

Duplicate the eye--click down-- and hit delete.This will give you an empty node with the same pivot as the eye geometry. Parent the eye geometry under this node. This will zero out your transforms on the eye geometry. Point constrain the eye end joint to the group node that the parented to. To point constrain you must first select the object that you wish to constrain somethng to, and then the object that needs to be constrained.

Select your eye, and rotate it to test it. It should move on the rotation axis. Select the eye joint and rotate up and down and it should have the eye attached to it, but also able to rotate the eye independently but still staying with the joint.

Create a locater and snap it to the eye in bind pose. Move it away from the eye only on the Z axis so it stays directly in front of the eye. Select the eye locater, and then the eye geometry, and choose--constrain--aim.

Your eye should now rotate around the eye joint based on the translations of the eye locater control object.

This should help.

BWood
08-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. They helped me solve my problem.

I appreciate the help!!!

WoodsyB :thumbsup:

anopheles
08-11-2005, 04:13 PM
Can't you just leave the Eye's out of alle the joint rigging stuff? Or is it necessary?
Can't you just parent the eye nodes to the character node so they move along?

pixade
08-14-2005, 06:43 AM
so the eyeballs have to be perfectly round? my eyelids aren't flexible enough for my eyeballs to be round ... any ideas? i have no clue ....
http://www.pixade.com/winstonsShuttle/WIP/eyeCGtalk1.jpghttp://www.pixade.com/winstonsShuttle/WIP/eyeCGtalk2.gif

tachy0n
08-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Well the round eye thing is more of a convention then any hard and fast rule IMO. Its just an effort to mimic real eyeballs. If rotating your current eye mesh to simulate eye movement ( ie looking around) works fine with your mesh then i dont see any need to make them spheres or anything.

One thing though, im not sure if the eyelids not fitting on a sphere means they are anatomically correct or not.

Andrei2k
08-15-2005, 07:06 AM
round eye may or may not help but pivot control is most helpful when rigging eyes

pixade
08-20-2005, 02:31 AM
well, i didn't want a round eye and the solution to turn the eye without the crazy oval eyes from peeking through the eye lids is to use a wrap deformer .... yes that works nice ... by setting a box to the eye, the eye rotates based on the box. i hope that makes sense, it's quite a nice trick my buddy keko taught me ....

milowerx
11-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Hey Pixade,
Can you explain a bit more what you mean by using a Wrap deformer? What sort of box do you use? A poly? Do you use an Aim constraint to pivot it then?

pixade
11-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Can you explain a bit more what you mean by using a Wrap deformer?
this is the solution to use when you want an object to maintain a volume ex: a oval circle into a box

What sort of box do you use? A poly?
it's in the animation toolset so it's not actually any geometry. use help to read more on it.

Do you use an Aim constraint to pivot it then?
yes

------ this isn't the best way to animate an eye b/c in 'real life,' is an eye is round anyway. i had to remodel the eyelid so it was round enough to fit an eye.

Dichotomy
11-17-2005, 12:47 AM
if your eyes are round (and I recommend that, because in reality, eyes are round. I would alter my eyelids before altering the round eye, maybe inbetweens for a blend to get it right), just group all the eye geometry into a group, center the pivot, and then just aim constrain that at the eye control. Then you can group that group, move the pivot to the head joint pivot, and then just orient and point constrain that group to the head. eyes move with head, eyes follow eyeControl.

Simple.

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2005, 12:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.