PDA

View Full Version : A few n00b questions rolled into one

assistant pimp
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I was have a 3 fold question but the all tie into the same project. I am building a web interface in LW that will be delivered via flash. What I need to know is:

1. it possible to have a object that is flat black (matte) that does not reflect any light at all even when animated? The reason being is the LW part has to be black to match the flash bgrd. (basically a door that will open by robotic arms)

2. How do you render out an animation with transparency. I want the lighting and stuff to be cool but when I render I only want to see the moving parts.

3. Can someone point me to a good tut for animating robotic arms?

telamon
08-08-2005, 03:12 PM
1 - object property > unseen by ray

2 - multipass rendering seems to be a clue for you, make a search on this board with these words.

3 - don't know, depends on the arm probably.

c-g
08-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I was have a 3 fold question but the all tie into the same project. I am building a web interface in LW that will be delivered via flash. What I need to know is:

1. it possible to have a object that is flat black (matte) that does not reflect any light at all even when animated? The reason being is the LW part has to be black to match the flash bgrd. (basically a door that will open by robotic arms)

Set the diffuse and specularity to zero or turn on matte object with a matte color of black (recommended)

2. How do you render out an animation with transparency. I want the lighting and stuff to be cool but when I render I only want to see the moving parts.

Save the files as 32bit pngs (flash likes pngs but you can use any 32bit format)

assistant pimp
08-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks guys, I will try these suggestions. I just noticed in the object properties panel that there is a unseen by camera option for objects so that eliminates my next question about still having reflections but no other objects in the scene but my moving parts.

blaqDeaph
08-09-2005, 04:32 AM
1. As a side note, setting diffuse to 0% is the only setting needed. Diffuse controls exactly the amount of light that the object reflects back, and if it's set to 0, it doesnt matter what other settings you have, you still won't see the object.

2. Under the "Output Files" tab of "Render Options" choose save alpha, and you should get a sequence of files, then stick it into a compositing program and use keying (alpha, track matte, chroma etc) to make the animation look transparent.

Phyrea
08-09-2005, 05:45 AM
1. As a side note, setting diffuse to 0% is the only setting needed. Diffuse controls exactly the amount of light that the object reflects back, and if it's set to 0, it doesnt matter what other settings you have, you still won't see the object.

Actually, Specularity, Luminosity and Reflection settings will still show up even if your Diffuse is set to 0. So if you're going this route, be sure to set them all to 0 as well.

Best option is to just use the Matte Object option in the Object Properties.

blaqDeaph
08-10-2005, 03:30 AM
Actually, Specularity, Luminosity and Reflection settings will still show up even if your Diffuse is set to 0. So if you're going this route, be sure to set them all to 0 as well.

Best option is to just use the Matte Object option in the Object Properties.

Interesting, could this be a bug with LW?

DonAVP
08-10-2005, 04:47 AM
Interesting, could this be a bug with LW?

No way. A lot of people what to render all these things separately so they can be controlled in a compositing program. This is the only way to go in large projects were changes will, I repeat will happon. This also gives the ability to fine tune the look of the final image.

assistant pimp
08-10-2005, 05:08 AM
thanks guys the matte option seem sto do the trick....still need a robotic arm tut..animation is rather difficult

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 05:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.