PDA

View Full Version : xyz manipulator arrows ???

bolek
08-08-2005, 12:17 PM
anyway to have the XYZ manipulators show when you select points/polys in LW 8 ? if not, will this be added to ver 9 ? kind of like you have now in all the other apps.

bolek
08-08-2005, 07:34 PM
someone knows ??

Jaspar
08-08-2005, 07:51 PM
No manipulators arrows are available, but you can constrain by holding down 'Ctrl' and then drag, which kind of negates the need for them I suppose. :shrug:

Rod Seffen
08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Lightwave's mouse modes and drag tool are far faster, more intuitive and plain superior to any manipulators I've used in any other program.

Kid-Mesh
08-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Id have to agree with oDDity on this one. The lack thereof in regards to manipulators give LW that feel of clay sculpting and "freedom" that you dont get with other apps. Ill have to thumbs down that one.

telamon
08-09-2005, 02:57 PM
Manipulators are useful when you'll have to deal with local coordinates. In particular, when I made the belt of my Colossus (http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4581/rendu20ul.png), it was quite bothering to swap between tools (rotate about normals is a cr ap) and rotate the viewport each single second.

PetterSundnes
08-09-2005, 02:59 PM
It is horrible to see when modelers are using square-selection tool, just to select a single vertex, and using xyz manipulators to move it, then drag-select outside it to drop the selection. Its about 3 more operations needed than LW's holding down Ctrl key + drag tool. But all in all, it all comes down to individual preference and experience.

EDIT:
Manipulators are useful when you'll have to deal with local coordinates. In particular, when I made the belt of my Colossus (http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/4581/rendu20ul.png), it was quite bothering to swap between tools (rotate about normals is a cr ap) and rotate the viewport each single second.
true true

Cman
08-09-2005, 03:02 PM
If, as I hope, LW9 will have widgets, I'm sure they can be turned off for those that don't want to see or use them.
Unfortunately, the way it is now, they cannot be turned ON, for those that do.

telamon
08-09-2005, 03:48 PM
exactly, the solution is to have something capable of swapping between manipulators & no manipulators with a single hot key.

allenatl
08-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I've worked with both the control + drag and manipulators. While the drag tool is great, there are times on a detailed model when I need to select individual points. The manipulators are easier than using control and going " Oops, that moved z and I wanted to go x. Let's try that again." Just a nice option to have if needed.

Lique
08-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I used to think modelling without manipulators is always better for organic modelling, however I vote for manipulators in lw now. It's simply needed, example when modelling in one perspective viewport. Without it, we won't sure how much or to which direction we translate/rotate selected polygons/points.

KillMe
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
how about when you press ctrl to constrain it brings up widgets ( again optional )

personally though except when working in perfpective mode ( sometimes you just cant get it to move the way you want ) i find them annoying since mroe offen than not you cant select some other vert becaus e widget is obstructing it

also would be handy for use with local coordinates someone already mentioned this and agree

PetterSundnes
08-09-2005, 06:03 PM
In modeler we can choose what is going to be the centerpoint of moving and rotating and such (normally set by where the mouse is clicking), add the choice of global and local axis too, so when it is set to local, the axis is based on the direction of the averaging normal of the current selection (be it points, polys or edges). Global axis as it is today.

doc sampson
08-09-2005, 08:48 PM
I saw in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=211588
that LW has something called the Rove tool. :)

AngelDream
08-09-2005, 09:34 PM
If you're modelling a symmetrical model, you can turn Symmetry on, and your movements are constrained to the xyz. The problem arises when it's an asymmetrical object. In those ocasions, handlers may be appropiate. But the lack of manipulators in LW is what makes you feel closer to the model that other 3d apps.

bolek
09-01-2005, 02:47 PM
isn't there anyway to find out a definite answer if LW 9 will have an option for manipulators or not ??? someone from Newtek can't say this ? it's not like it would be a big secret, plus it would make my decision easier.

Cman
09-01-2005, 03:52 PM
At Siggraph, on the last day, I saw them using Edges in LW9 modeler, but I didn't see any manipulators.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2005, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.