PDA

View Full Version : A feature to be added from Silo (cut tool)

telamon
08-08-2005, 12:13 PM
I have downloaded the Silo demo and I like this app though I miss the drag tool and I really do not like manipulators. LW's way to move / rotate / scale from any point in the screen is much simpler for me. Nevertheless manipulators are killer in some circumstances this is a reason why I would like the opportunity to switch between manip & no manip.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5228/silo4fr.gif

I hope that the Newtek Dev Team will have the same idea. The quick cut tool requires all the polys to be selected between the two edges we want to split.

Gwot
08-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Try using tools like split loop with selection pre-hilighting on and using the keyboard shortcut instead. You just mouse over the edge you want and hit the key. No need to even select it. Works with other tools too. Silo's tweak tool is far superior to drag. Mine is bound to the alt key plus my left mouse button. It works in scale, rotate and move modes and if you have multi-selection mode active it's even better as it will work on any geometry type you mouse over. Let go of your key toggle and you will revert back to your active transform tool.

I miss LW's mouse modes in Silo as well. You can repostion/reorient your manipulator by activating the manipulator edit mode. This will turn the maniplator white, meaning you can transform it without affecting your mesh. When you exit the mode you can then do transforms from the new position. It's a little bit clunky but at least it's an option. I think mine is bound to my Insert key.

You might have to dig through the mouse and keybindings menu to see where stuff is bound. I use a heavily modified silo config compared to the original.

BazC
08-08-2005, 06:27 PM
You can repostion/reorient your manipulator by activating the manipulator edit mode. This will turn the maniplator white, meaning you can transform it without affecting your mesh. When you exit the mode you can then do transforms from the new position. It's a little bit clunky but at least it's an option.

Have you tried the Mirai/Wings equivalent? You just selct geometry, one or more verts, edges or faces and the app takes an average of the normals to use as a vector for moving/scaling or rotation centre. Very quick and smooth workflow! - Baz

telamon
08-08-2005, 10:25 PM
@Gwot, thanks for the input. I only have downloaded this demo for 5 days and I am still beginning to look into it. Great app for a very low price and the OpenGL view is quite terrific compared to LW 8.

Gwot
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
BazC: Yeah I have constrain to normal bound to my mouse and a modifier key. I actually prefer to use axis and normal constraints vs the manipulator in Silo. Being able to use LW's mouse modes on top of this would be very cool, as I mostly prefer not to use a manipulator at all.

Telamon: You're welcome! I've been using Silo since it shipped and it's been an awesome compliment to LW, but it can be a bit confusing at first, despite it's simplicity. Many new users miss out on all the excellent customization of the interface at first, since there's quite a few tools and a new workflow to absorb, but I highly recommend experimenting with your mouse and keyboard bindings as well as some of the other preference settings. Silo is one of the few apps that you really can customize to the way you want to work, whether that involves making it more like your other favourite app, or trying to come up with your own unique modeling approach.

One other thing you can do if you have a mouse with wheel, is to bind your soft selection falloff and strength settings to the wheel and a modifier key. Works great when you are using the tweak tool and have soft selection active. In fact, you can even just leave it active all the time and just use the wheel to reduce the settings to none if you want more precise editing. This would be similar to using the dragnet tool in LW and dragging the right mouse button to adjust the range of influence.

Nu Visual Science
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah Silo takes a little getting used to after modeller, The thing is though if you do get used to it you will find it so much quicker than modeller for a lot of stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.