PDA

View Full Version : Does ANYONE know the right way to model a Cat???

clarebear
08-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Does ANYONE know the right way to model a Cat??? :shrug:
Ive been looking thoroughly for examples of models of cats which I only found 2 or 3 and they didnt look right. I have plenty of photo references of cats, but its mostly the hind legs that are troubling me.
p.s. I want to model it for animation.
Help help!!
Cheers :D

zurfer
08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow! This is an almost impossible question to answer. The quick answer: there is no right way. It all depends on what you want yuor model to do and what kind of modeling tecnique you're using. If you're using sub-devision modeling i would recomend that you try looking at your reference and start to scetch in som nice flowing edge-loops (an anatomy-chart of a cat is allways good to have handy) taking in account the flow of muscles, skin, bone and fat and trying to get teh bes solution for all parts when thinking about how i should move.

A more precise answer would be like this:

THis is a low-poly model I did a while back. It has a nice even flow of edges and you could proboly adapt it to high-poly work.

Hope this helps.

Peter

clarebear
08-09-2005, 04:35 AM
Hey thanks zurfer for that.
Your cat creature's abdomen looks very small which is more dog like, cats are fuller around there and their knee and thy dissapear under a flap of skin.
I attached my model here. Im using Maya 6 btw.

cheers

McGreed
08-09-2005, 10:05 AM
Im not working on a cat, but I got the same problem with figure out how to make the hind legs with that kinda of legs, working on an minotaur.

Is there any good sites for referances of animals (also muscler and Skeletons) and bugs?

zurfer
08-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Well the leg part would be the same but the way they would attach to the hip may not work so good since a minoutaur walks on its hindlegs. Try looking at bears and perhaps som pics of suricats.

I'm sorry to say I can't think of any specific page on animal anatomy right now. A book that should be a part of any modellers library though is Cyclopedia Anatomicae. It's a good reference for both animal and human anatomy.

Try drawing a side and a front view of your creature and, in a new layer in your paint program, start laying out lines to represent the edgeloops. It's hard to give exact advice without actually building the model for you.

Hope this helps.

Peter

clarebear
08-14-2005, 03:22 AM
Thanks guys for your help, heres a pic of what ive done so far, he looks a bit funny at the mo but you get the idea.
Cheers :D

el_diablo
08-14-2005, 10:25 PM
Here is a bit bigger cat species I started but never finished.

peterwoodsy
08-15-2005, 05:26 PM
Don't know if this helps but when you get around to skining make sure that there are lots of loops to account for the belly.

Had a similar project a while a go and due to lack of loops had to build model 4 times.

Pete

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2005, 05:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.