PDA

View Full Version : problem with ScreamerNet

jp3d80
08-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Hello everybody, I got a problem with ScreamerNet. I can't render scenes I've created on another computer. I set the network up, LW config files, paths and everything else and if I create a try scene from the beginning, everything works great. Problems comes when I try to render scenes I've created on another computer which have all the internal paths referring to the computer on which they've been created, that are somthing like C:\.... I need to know if there is a simple way to modify those paths stored inside the .lws and .lwo files, because otherwise ScreamerNet doesn't work!!! PS I tried also some 3rd part render controller like those on the Newtek forum, but none works. Is there something that I need to know to make them work?

Thank You

Jarrede
08-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Honestly, my best advice to you, would be to stay as far away from scremernet as possible if you can.

I've had the most catawhompus bogus crap happen trying to get that darn thing to work. Used it for 3 months and wanted to break stuff...it's stand alone interface and functions are not designed well at all, and it burns your toast.

You could use notepad with the "find" option and manually change the paths.

If you created it on a different machine, did you try loading it on the machine that outputs files screamernet can use?

I'm currently using butterfly netrender, and...have had zero issues getting it to work. It's pretty cheap, and the technical support is decent.

disclaimer: I see words...and they're kinda made into sentences and stuff...but my brain does whack when I've been up all night...so if it doesn't make sense, come back tomorrow.

assistant pimp
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
You have to use UNC names. Ihad a really big problem with getting Screamernet working and when I did I found out it could nto do stills. If you do a search for screamernet and my s/n. You will find my post and the help I received plus the tutorial I followed. There are other network renderers like Amleto and Tequila Scream.

good luck -- you will need it.

jabbermike
08-08-2005, 07:13 PM
was the content directory method used correctly when the scene was first created on the other computer?

mike

kangonto
08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Load the scene in Layout locating every file when asked. When it's completely loaded use 'content manager' tool to create the right environment for the scene in another location.

Of course, you need to set 'content directory' to that new location, after using 'content manager' and before loading the scene from the new location.

You need to correctly understand the way LW manages files and paths. The right use of 'content directory' from the begining of every project is vital to avoid problems when porting scenes to/from other computers.

Read related topics in LW manual.

Good Luck

CGTalk Moderation
08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.