PDA

View Full Version : Unused Weights columns in Component editor

Marcel
08-08-2005, 08:48 AM
I use the component editor a lot to assign weights (low poly game characters). It's kinda annoying that it displays all the bones in the hierarchy, not just the ones that are in the skin cluster. So even when the mesh is bound to only two bones, I have to scroll through the disabled columns for all the 40 bones in the hierarchy.
When I turn off 'Show All Columns' it displays only the columns which have a weight applied, so when I set a vertex to 0 weight the column disappears.

I there a way to have the component editor display only the bones that are connected to the skincluster?

Me109
08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
if the bone appears in the component editor it means it is connected to the skin cluster.. if you smooth bind to the complete skeleton.. this is what you'll get... either remove the influence of the bone.. or bind the mesh to selected joints as to help with the editor..
..its good sometimes to select the vertices in large clumps at a time.. eg.. upper right torso.. lower left leg and hip.. and remove unwanted weights whole sale.. then go in and do some fine tuning as needed..

Marcel
08-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your reply, I was a bit afraid I wasn't clear enough but you understand my problem.

if the bone appears in the component editor it means it is connected to the skin cluster

Somehow this is not the case, which is my problem. If you see my attachment, the skincluster is only attached to 3 bones, and yet the component editor is filled with lot's of other bones.
When I turn off 'Show All Columns' it shows only the bones with weight, which isn't very useful either (see second attachment). :shrug:

Me109
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
oh... just make sure you have 'hide zero columns' ticked on in the component editor.. and all that useless stuff will disapear..

Marcel
08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Ah, I checked it out in Maya 6.5 and thats indeed what I was looking for. Too bad I'm still working with 5.5 at my work, but an upgrade is on the way :)

Thanks for your help!

Me109
08-10-2005, 10:14 PM
no worries mate... 6 also has this feature.. :D

make sure your boss upgrades to ver 7 dude!! 7 is like leap years ahead of 6.5

full body IK is the closet thing to a 'make rig now' button.. :D

anyhow...

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 10:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.