PDA

View Full Version : Lightwavers?

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I asked this earlier in an thread, but got no responce to it, so I'll ask again.
How many here are LW'ers?
Just curious is all? :)

thanx..........md :)

nanaboso
08-08-2005, 11:57 AM
I am, and since I've visited this place every now and then since I bought Vue Infinite, I know there are a few more. But I'm sure the number will increase a fair bit when the update deal to LW9 takes off.

Tore

KillMe
08-08-2005, 02:13 PM
just ordered my lw 9 upgrade with vue 5 infitite cant wait

Sequent
08-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Ordered my upg to LW9 with Infinite too.

But I'm not entirely new to landscape programs... have Vue4 and used to use Bryce since v2.

digital verve
08-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Ordered mine too. Looking forward to getting LW and Vue working together on some projects.

mdunakin
08-08-2005, 07:10 PM
OK, thanx guys.

I was mostly curious, just because, but also in case I feel like creating anymore
LW/Vue tutorials, I kinda wanted to know if it was going to be worth while or not?

Anyway, glad others are getting into Vue and all :)
And yeah, that LW9/Vue deal can't be beat.

Just remember one thing when you new Vue'ers get Vue, to examine every single sample scene
they give you, including dumping the samples from the second CD down to look at those too.
This is what I did and it really got me going a lot faster then if they hadn't had those samples to examine.

............................md :)

KillMe
08-09-2005, 02:44 AM
lightwave/vue tuts welcome and there are probally gonna be thousands of new vue/lightwaves users with the lightwave upgrade offer ahhhh cant wait to get my copy =) and thanks for the advice

Polou
08-09-2005, 08:14 AM
OK........feel like creating anymore LW/Vue tutorials, I kinda wanted to know if it was going to be worth while or not?

YES please and THANK YOU.

I don't have Vue Infinite (only Vue 4) but I'm thinking about it.

Cheers

paulhart
08-10-2005, 04:36 AM
I have VUE Infinite.... enjoy what I can do so far but tut's would be helpful

mdunakin
08-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Cool! :)

Then feel free to email me or suggest it right here might even be better, as it might
lead to others coming up with suggestions of what tutorials they would like to see.
Right now I'm having loads of fun working with the different motion features and such,
with pretty good results from what I see so far in the little preview.

Once I get that part down, I want to return back to the desert plants,
but I'm sort of waiting to see what Dig comes up with on his end first.

Then I will be getting to an aspect that I'm really inerested in, which is the Functions Panel.
I'm dieing to see what kinds of cool things can be done with that, as I suspect it has a lot to offer.

Later, I'll be getting into some methods for faster rendering times that still keep the quality up.

And then I also want to get back to the LW/Vue plugin and see what kinds of
fun I can have with that, more then what I've already done.

And yes, I'll be posting some "Getting Started" style tutorials up as I go along to kinda
help newbies out, as I am pretty much a newbie myself and am finding things I wished
I would of known about BEFORE I got started and spent a lot of time going in directions
that really I didn't need to, and a few tips would of been good to know about then.

Anyway................md :)

MattClary
08-10-2005, 02:00 PM
LightWaver here. Just got Vue 5 last night. Can't install it yet, as it won't recognize my LightWave serial number. Very frustrating. :sad:

Definitely looking forward to some Vue tutorials!

bob143
08-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Playing with the trial version of Vue Infinite now and plan on pre ordering the LW 9 upgrade with Vue 5 Infinite very soon.

LW/Vue tutorials will be most appreciated.

Megalodon
08-11-2005, 07:01 AM
And yet another Lightwaver here! I've had Vue5I for some time, but haven't had ANY time to get to learn it. And probably won't till Fusion for LW comes out - hopefully by the end of the year?! :) ANY tutorials for Vue5I would be great!!!

Megalodon

Devenish
08-12-2005, 04:16 AM
Same here LW9 preorderd, got my UPS tracking number for Vue5 today.

Ed Bittner
08-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Been with LW since 5.6. Had Vue5I since its release.

E.

krimpr
08-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Nuther Waver here.

Hansybear
08-17-2005, 10:08 PM
LW to the bone.

mdunakin
08-17-2005, 10:43 PM
This is looking good, for me :)

I guess since NewTek combined with Vue for that killer deal,
a lot of people are taking advantage of that upgrade offer?

Hopefully, by the weekend, I might have anew tutorial posted for all of you.
I'll have to see how it turns out though.
I'm going to start it's testing either later this evening or tomorrow.
My stupid knee is bothering me today, like a bitch, and I can't sit at the computer for long periods.
That's what I get for driving around for the past few days LOL
I ruined accidentally a few weeks back, getting up out of my computer seat too fast
at a screwy angle and twisted the dern thing and may have torn the tissue in my knee?
I've always seen friends and other people with knee injuries, and thought
they were exagerating the pain, now I know they weren't LOL

Anyway, the tutorial will be another involved with the Vue/LW Synchro plugin.
I think it might be awesome, but I'll let ya know later.
It may be a bust :)

But, since I've been having so many problems with Vue, and some that no one else is having,
I've decided to completely uninstall it and clean out the registry and all that and defrag the
drive first, before I reinstall it again and see if that helps any.

RegMachanic blows away Norton's reg scanner, I've descovered.
Norton found one bad registry, and when I did the same scan right after Norton,
RM found over 125 or so bad gegistries!

Today though, I needed some time away from Vue to clear my head some what.
So I'm just (key word here) 'playing' in LW and having good old fashioned fun.
Fun with Sas as well :)

.............................................md :)

Sequent
08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Mark, that sounds great re the possible tutorials. Sorry to hear about your knee, that's gotta be a bummer.

So... my copy of Vue should be arriving within minutes, lol!!!

mdunakin
08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Cool about getting Vue.
Has it showed up yet?

And as for my stupid knee bit, it was really pretty dumb.
I hurried and got up out of my chair to see who was at the front door,
mainly because I was expecting my brother pretty soon to show up,
and then I tweak the crap out of my knee, just to find out it was just
a bird that flew past the front of the place!
Gaaa! LOL

Trust me, I am pretty certain I sinned a bit right then and there on the spot.
I spoke some trash talk.... pretty loudly too.
Oh and probably cried a bit lOL

..........md :)

Sequent
08-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Yes, it's here - that's why I haven't been checking CGTalk! :-)

I'm pretty impressed so far, though I haven't really dug in too much yet. Plan on doing that this weekend!!! I have so many ideas of things I want to try out... but one step at a time.

FWIW, I also ordered the paper manual. After figuring how much it would have cost to photocopy, etc. Just didn't seem worth the hassle. Plus it will be much easier to read off paper than via the screen - even though I can have the manual on one computer while working on the other.

Signal2Noise
08-20-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm a 'Waver. In fact, I just got my Vue 5 Infinite today as part of the LW [9] upgrade bundle offer. I just finished installing Vue and will hopefully get a chance to play with it this weekend.

So here's to another CGTalk forum I've gotta frequent! :thumbsup:

Sequent
08-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Yes, definitely another forum to frequent. I'm finding myself peeking into the Vue and the Newtek forums the most nowadays.

Maybe at some point we can all share our workflow experiences and learn some things from each other.

Until I figure things out a bit more, I see myself at the very least using Vue a lot in order to create matte backgrounds.

drewblit
08-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Hi I've been using LW since it moved to PC ten or so years ago.
I've used Bryce and hated it. I'm still not sure what to think about
Vue 5 Infinite even though I've been messing around with it for four days now.
I hope there are more experienced Vue users here.

I ordered the LW9 upgrade for it. I'm very keen to produce logos with the
eco system as in the example with the e-on logo. I changed the image
in the hope it would be that simple but of course not!
Anybody have ideas on how to use/control eco systems like this.
I have a million questions but will try to RTFM
though I'm finding the PDF wanting.
drewblit

mdunakin
08-22-2005, 05:17 AM
drewblit, do you have a file you can post up of what you're trying to do?
I'd like to check it out and see if I can see what you are missing?
I'm sure it'll end up being some silly little thing that got missed,
like these things usually turn out to be, at least that how it usually is for me LOL :)

I haven't even checked out the scene that you are talking about yet.
Is it part of the collection that comes with the CDs?
To tell ya the truth, I know I've 'browsed' through the samples, but
really haven't had the chance to examine them all yet.
Mainly, becvause I check out the scenes that I need to get some
sort of info from and then I move on to another scene to grab info from.

Right now I'm too busy with LW and my Lizard/Desert scene and will have to get
back to Vue a little bit later, as I have been wanting to finish this thing up for a long time.
Test Render, though it's not from Vue, I want to learn to combine these scenes with Vue.

................................md :)

drewblit
08-22-2005, 08:52 AM
Thanks md,

yep It's on the extra's CD it's just a plane with a landscape texture
and eco systems neatly forming their logo. I'm sure it'll be over done by next week
but I'll happily follow the pack with this one, it'll make a client happy.
I'm sure this is very straight forward but I'm having a hard time with the materials editor
the animation wizard, the terrain generator ...hhmm
I'll get a file to you.

love the lizard by the way

Sequent
08-22-2005, 06:43 PM
mdunakin... i'm liking your desert lizard image a lot. at some point, could you post something slightly bigger?

mdunakin
08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanx, and yeah.
It will be posted in full sizes today.
I just wanted to get them posted to the Galleries section first.
I'm tired of other people always getting awards and never me.
I'm trying my best to make something worth entering in somethig for once.
I want one of those award thingies next to 'my' name like I see other's having :)

I'm going to post it to a couple of places, just in the hopes of getting better results.
Though I don't know if that's even allowed or not?
Is it?

In any case, the reason I didn't post a larger version of that particular version,
was because I wasn't all the way satisfied with it yet and re-rendered the thing again.
I made several camera shots of the same thing, and hopefully one will be worth looking at LOL
Cuz at this point, I'm soooo sick of looking at it, that I couldn't tell you if it looked any good or not LOL

And since the lizard was locked up in only one possition (too long of a story) I couldn't change that.

Anyway, it'll get posted up today.
I got up this morning and rendered the last one and then shut off the computer and went back to bed.
Each rendering took anywhere from 20 minutes to a half hour.
And I really HAD TO render in full sizes, to be sure of how the Sas areas would look.
And the DOF as well, but scene lighting and lighting with the Sas were my main problems I was having.

Anyway, I'll let ya know in just a bit.
Gotta do a little PS to the images and then they'll be ready.
You know, add my copy right junk and all that and a border and maybe a touch of clean-up.

.......................md :)
And again, let me know if it's OK to post the images to more then one site?
Thanx!

philnolan3d
08-25-2005, 01:48 PM
LightWaver here. Just got Vue 5 last night. Can't install it yet, as it won't recognize my LightWave serial number. Very frustrating. :sad:

Definitely looking forward to some Vue tutorials!

Another 'waver here. Haven't been able to get the upgrade offer yet, but I'm looking forward to it. As for the serial I hear this has been a problem with some people. Someone said if you call NewTeK they'll give you a new number that will work.

MitchVFX
08-25-2005, 02:21 PM
I did the LW upgrade bundle (Safe Harbor), too. Got Vue last week, and registered with no problem.

By the way, I messed with a 6M+ poly scene using GI and didn't have any stability problems. I'm sure, of course, that having an NVIDIA Quadro helps in that area. :D

Emmanuel
08-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Got my LW8 (from 7.5) update with Vue5 on monday, and played with it, very nice, but I am *frightened* by the function panel :)
Will take some time and practice to learn how to use the tool most efficiently :)

Wabe
08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
There is a tutorial out somewhere "function editor demystified". I must try to find that again. Maybe you do a google search for that.

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.