PDA

View Full Version : Calling all owners of Alienware Area-51m 7700 Laptops

Marlboro-Man
08-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Hey guys,

I am in the midst of considering between the Alienware Area-51m 7700 and the Dell 9300 Inspiron.

I would like to ask the opinions of all the Alienware 7700 owners, to tell me if the laptop is really the powerhouse desktop replacement they say it is. I don't wanna make a mistake in the purchase, as the price tag is quite hefty.

Also if anyone owns the dell 9300, I'd like to hear from them too on how it runs with 3D applications.

I want a full mobile powerhouse that's a desktop equivalent. I don't mind bulky sizes or batter life. Just need to move around to different locations but i really really need the laptop to perform like a desktop.

Thanks in advance guys, hear from you soon.

Regards,

Marlboro-Man

Marlboro-Man
08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
c'mon guys,

Does no one own an Alienware Laptop around here ? :)

I'm sure you're hiding in some where out there ..show yourselvessssssssssssssssssss...

Marlboro

lukx
08-10-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't have Alienware but read a lot about desktop replacement because want to buy one for myself. And can tell you only one thing it's indeed powerhouse but also it's MEGA HEAVY AND HOT. The same gose for BOX, SAGER and other CLEVO clones. When buying lappy I also want a bit of mobility and with those BRICKS there is almoust none. So I would recommend Dell 9300 if you want 17" screen or in my opinion best choice is Dell M70 plus LCD screen.

SweetDreamz
08-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Are you sure you're buying a laptop? That "laptop" is more of a desktop replacement.
As long as you have an external power source, you should be fine.

By the way, that laptop is gonna be hotter than a blastfurnance and it's bloody heavy.

PS. I don't like Alienware.

Dell is alright, I just don't like the flimsy feel to it. It feels so....fragile. But the Inspiron 9300 is a nice laptop. Plus, with coupons and such, you could get a good deal on it.

Pentium M >

A 17" will weigh substantially more than a 15". Plus, it's the resolution that matters most.

Edit: Nevermind what I said, go for the Alienware I guess.. It packs a punch for what it is. Didn't read your last couple of sentences.

Marlboro-Man
08-11-2005, 07:41 AM
HI GUYS,

thanks for the reply.

Ok I've actually intended on the Dell 9300 but it's a centrino chip. What I have read is that for rendering and raw power... the centrinos fall far behind in speed compared to the P4's . I've already got a centrino 1.6 ghz and I don't want another centrino... :( THey're good if u want a laptop I reckon, but I want a mobile workstation literally.

When you guys say the alienware gets HOT, does it mean it's too hot to even have your hands resting on the keypad when u're modelling and working etc? Or do you mean it's too hot to rest on my lap. What's the issues with heat if the laptop is stable ?

Please let me know what you mean by this.

I had a toshiba centrino before and it got a bit hot to lay my hands on for extended periods of time. I think the graphics card is where my left palm lies. Hence that area got really friggin warm. After a few hrs of zbrushing and modelling, my wrist started getting sore from the heat. Muscle aches, .. i don't want that. But if the laptop is cool enough to work on, i don't mind if it's a furnace blowing out the backways..

Hear from yaz soon!

Marlboro Man

lukx
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
If you really want Clevo clone I would go with Sager (grate support) and much better price.
About hot...yep you can't put it on your laps. Also many people here (www.notebooksforums.com (http://www.notebooksforums.com)) are complainig that it also get hot under wrist area and some of them send their powerhous back and change it for something else. Also the space betwwen keyboard nad end of lappy is quite big and it's quite uncomfortable to type for a long time.
Believe me I took all pros and cons whta lappy to get and ended with Dell. I asked few people who have m70 and they really don't compalin about 2Ghz certino speed when it comes to rendering. You can also think about Acer Ferrari 4000 (amd Turion 64bits) but...there's Ati card so in my opnion it's not a good idea.

Marlboro-Man
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Hey thanks Lukx..

U really helped with giving me some ideas to think about. Thank you so much !

Marlboro Man

rybeck
08-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Believe me I took all pros and cons whta lappy to get and ended with Dell. I asked few people who have m70 and they really don't compalin about 2Ghz certino speed when it comes to rendering. You can also think about Acer Ferrari 4000 (amd Turion 64bits) but...there's Ati card so in my opnion it's not a good idea.

lukx,

I have read pretty much all your post related to M70 (which I am very interested in ATM), and want to thank for tremendous amount research...
I am just wondering if you already place your order... If you did it, can you share spec of your order, and reason of your choice? (I hope you don't mind...)

SweetDreamz
08-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Ok I've actually intended on the Dell 9300 but it's a centrino chip
First off, Centrino is NOT a processor family. Intel Centrino mobile technology combines an Intel Pentium M processor, an Intel chipset, and in integrated Intel wireless card.

DuttyFoot
08-15-2005, 10:13 PM
the 9300 is a sweet laptop. i use one at work and it works like a charm, boy i wish it was mine. i have used it for 9hrs straight and no heat under my hands. i guess the alienware laptops are built differently. the screen is really nice. and maya runs pretty good on it. i think it runs at 1.86ghz, has a gig of ram running xp pro. trust me you will not go wrong if you get it. the alienware mj12 laptop is a beast. i was checking it out yesterday. thats a real desktop replacement. it and the boxx 2300.

fvalicenti
08-16-2005, 02:01 AM
just bare in mind that if you purchase that dell and add 2gb ram at the moment of purchase itīll cost $750, but if you gfet it with 256 and then purchase those 2 gigs separetly itīll only be 418 or sumthin. they overcharge memory when purchasing it with systems.

lukx
08-16-2005, 05:08 AM
lukx,

I have read pretty much all your post related to M70 (which I am very interested in ATM), and want to thank for tremendous amount research...
I am just wondering if you already place your order... If you did it, can you share spec of your order, and reason of your choice? (I hope you don't mind...)

I want to buy lappy after christmas. Basically I'm waiting for Mxx with Yonah inside.

And yeah, don't buy ram with dell. Get 256 and buy the rest with Crucial.

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 05:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.