PDA

View Full Version : Vanishing Point (cheating?)

Russo
08-08-2005, 05:14 AM
Hi there... reading one edition of DC comics 100 Bullets (45 page 20)by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso, I was impressed by the angle variation of many scenes and their perspective drawing and I traced digitally a few lines to check out how accurate it was.
Is it my impression or the artist faked it?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v256/alphagain/vp.jpg

Peddy
08-08-2005, 06:00 AM
comic book art? im not an expert, or even an avid fan, but arent the drawings (at least) done by hand, or at least, not digitally? and even if they are, i dont see much of an issue with using vanishing point. i think its a wonderful tool. its just as hard to realise an effective layout and perspective conceptually than it is to realise it physically.

stepington
08-08-2005, 06:14 AM
A wise man once told me that the only rule in art is to cheat and get away with it. . . .

Russo
08-08-2005, 06:22 AM
yeah, I agree 100%. What I'm pointing out is that parallel lines should converge to a single vanishing point (in case of 1 point perspective), and the artist used two different points, which makes me think that the perspective is wrong. The cheating in the topic was about guessing a vanishing point that is on the page, not the use of perspective drawing itself :)

stepington
08-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Ah, the joys of expression beyond the walls of mathematics.
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/87/calrue3zu.jpg

Guy In Rubber Suit
08-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Well I guess it could be a mistake, or it could also be that the artist was under a time constraint and didn't have time to refine it.

I say, as long as it looks good, then leave it. You can bitch and moan all you want about it being wrong or right, but it won't matter if it doesn't look good and appealing. Of course it could also be done as a way for effect.

Schwinnz
08-08-2005, 07:37 AM
Rules are there to be bent. I'd say that the artist did this to enhance the foreshortening (I have no idea how to write it).

Russo
08-08-2005, 07:47 AM
yeah, maybe.. the guy does both the pencil/ink for this comic book

Polar
08-08-2005, 08:13 AM
The background is a low and wide angle shot and the character size relation is more of a telephoto shot, to keep the size relation of character and the long corridor effect you have to cheat.

If you dont cheat you get a big size difference between characters or a flat corridor.

+ very wide angle in photo give curve line so depending on the objet position the vanish point dont appear to be at the same position when you draw straith lines.

BMunchausen
08-31-2005, 09:56 PM
Well I'm totally confused most often about perspective, but I always thought to be one point, the vanishing point had to be in the center, and if it wasn't, then you went into two point perspective??? So maybe this is in two point? I dunno...

jmBoekestein
08-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Bear in mind: 'WHen ever you show something you have allready chosen to box it in and represent it, you are almost inherently obliged to comlement your choice with the entirety of your image toconvey your choice and resolve.'

not an exact quote, but it was fun to remember that, especially during discussions on documentaries. :D

Terro
09-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Your Vanishing point is not easy located because this isn't a One Poinnt Perspective piece. It's most likely a Two Point Perspective. You can quickly distinguish it by looking at the bottom of the stair case. There is no even horizontal line, both the stare case lines are going twords 2 seperate vanishing points. I marked the lines in blues.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=79740&stc=1

Please feel welcome to view my environment workshop thread where right now we're learning about One and Two Perspectives.

Terros Environment Workshop (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=271082)

Hope It helps.

Russo
09-02-2005, 05:18 PM
True, but parallel lines shouldn't converge to the same vanishing point? If the jail hasn't foundation construction errors, the grid at left should be parallel to the bottom line of the right (grid jail side).

Terro
09-02-2005, 05:34 PM
I went ahead and looked at it in more detail. His horizon line is slightly slanted and most of his lines do reach multiple vanishing points. The bigest mistakes here that I see are the light fixtures in the ceiling and the bars in the jail cells. They are not following any proportions. I think he just winged that part.

jmBoekestein
09-02-2005, 06:21 PM
What I meant in my last post is that he's probably stressing some tension in the scene. Since it's not that necessary for the untrained eye which would in this case be used to non realistic pictures, to make it all perfect. This way he creates a 'dramatic tension' in the picture which puts more emphasis on the characers attitudes. That's my guess.

BMunchausen
09-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Hehe....it'd be nice to think he did it on purpose. A lot of artists ARE just winging it and don't do it to "increase tension". :D

jmBoekestein
09-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah I'd expect so miyself but sooner or lter if you wing it you think to yourself "ah I could have nudged this just a wee bit left, then it'd have worked too, hmmm". lol, more de-sign than a design. SHould work though.

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2005, 02:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.