PDA

View Full Version : K8WE Will Not Power Up... Urgent!

|Kayura|
08-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Hey guys.

I've talked to a few people on the forum that have this mobo, so I am hoping someone may know something. I got my new machine on Friday, spent all weekend retro fitting it. I took out the stock coolers on the CPUS, and put in Zalmans... Added 3 more hard drives, a cooling system (air), and transplanted the system in a much better case...

However, now it won't power up at all, and I can not seem to locate a problem. I know the enermax has enough power...

Here is the odd part, when I hit the power button, my hard drive light goes on (for as long as you hold the button), and the keyboard lights blink quickly.

Any ideas?! This is the 3rd machine I've built so it's not like I'm a total newb. I can't figure it out, and I am panicing now because I hope I didn't damage the board somehow taking off those damn stock coolers and I'd rather not call the manufac. just yet.

Help?!
-Kay

enygma
08-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Try a different video card. I had an issue where I had purchased a PNY QuadroFX 3400 and it would cause my system not to power up. It would get to the point where the keyboard light would blink, but nothing after that. The card would work in another machine, but not on my K8WE. I had the card replaced with the same card and it worked fine. Might have been a slight defect in the PCB.

|Kayura|
08-08-2005, 05:59 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I acutally have that same card. I did infact move it to the two different x16 connectors, and remove it completely from the system after that, no change...

Thanks though... I was thinking that too. I've pretty much removed just about everything from the machine.

enygma
08-08-2005, 06:28 AM
PNY probably got the card back from me and resold it to you... :D

Anyways, try another PCI Express video card if you can just to see if that will work. If so, replace the video card that doesn't work. The PNY QuadroFX 3400 will work in that board. It does on mine. There just might be something wrong with the one you have, if there is nothing wrong with the board.

|Kayura|
08-08-2005, 07:21 AM
You are not going to believe this...

I can't believe this...

Apparently the K8WE actually measures the pressure on the cpus. And if the pressure isn't enough tension, it won't power up the mobo... I just pressed on my Zalman heat sinks, and BOOM, it lit up like the 4th of July. (In a good way).

So, now I just have to figure out why they aren't applying enough pressure.

-Kay

lots
08-12-2005, 12:28 AM
You sure its not enough pressure? It is possible that the CPUs are not seated properly... I use a pair of Zalman 7700cus my self.. and all works fine

|Kayura|
08-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the reply lots. Actually, I did get things worked out after hours of messing around. As it turns out, I bumped the motherboard slightly when I was working on it and it popped on. Apparently one of Lian-Li's odd-shaped clip-studs was making contact with the board on the backside. After making sure to move that clip perfectly into place, everything was great.

Well, I mean, it works anyway. The K8WE seems to be one of the buggiest boards I have ever owned. Took me a whole evening just to get the bios swapped and reconfigured.

Thanks for the post man.
-Mike

MadMax
08-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Well, I mean, it works anyway. The K8WE seems to be one of the buggiest boards I have ever owned. Took me a whole evening just to get the bios swapped and reconfigured.

BUGGIEST?!?!?!?!?!?

You are kididng right? The K8WE is one of the most reliable, stable and trouble free system boards out there.

Buggy is the last thing I would call it.

|Kayura|
08-12-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey sorry man, didn't mean to act like I'm not informed or anything. Just for me getting this thing going has been a total hassle. Not all 4 gigs were showing up, the a drive never works, and it's a 1/3 chance the thing ever boots when powered on. I've got an Enermax 550watt PSU in there, so I don't think it's power. Maybe I've got a dud board or something? I've heard such great things about this board too, that is why I got it. I'm sure it's rock solid once you get it all configured and stuff. Just for me, it's just been a pain in the arse.

Tonights Adventure into K8WE = Sata drive(s) hookup and OS install. (I hope)
-Kay

SweetDreamz
08-13-2005, 04:44 AM
When all fails, RMA it.

enygma
08-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Tonights Adventure into K8WE = Sata drive(s) hookup and OS install. (I hope)
-Kay
If you are installing Windows XP Pro 64bit edition, you won't even need a driver disk. The SATA drivers are now included with the install CD so you should be flying. I just recently installed the OS on my K8WE and on a DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR. The only systems I needed driver disks for was the Asus K8V-X which ran a VIA SATA controller. I had another VIA based board, but the drives were running on the PATA ports so I didn't have to worry about drivers.

Also, on all those configurations, as a note, Fedora Core 4 x86_64 also installed without the need for bootup drivers.

lots
08-13-2005, 09:32 PM
My K8WE build was one of the easiest I've had in a while. The only hitch was, I recieved a damaged hard drive, and my replacement drive (While I was waiting for the RMA) wasn't all that wonderful ;)

I'd have to say though, it has always powered up without trouble. Perhaps your board is defective?

|Kayura|
08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
SweetDreamz: Yeah, I would. But, would Tyan RMA a board that was included in a prebuilt system by Alienware? I doubt it. Alienware has been absoultely no help, they are like calling the cable company. (Have you power reset your modem? :rolleyes: ) Well, that and my warrenty will be void now because I flashed my bios, what a load of crap. (Running 1.01 now)

enygma: True that, but, it just hangs when it says "Stating Windows" in startup... I haven't even seen the "Press F10" option to actually SET UP the raid... So, that is why it seems necessary to get the a: drive going.

Seriously, there are a TON of people on www.k8we.com (http://www.k8we.com) that are having all these problems and more. I might have a dud, but, this thing still seems totally beta, and there are many others that feel the same way... I think my board is fine, it's just touchy as hell. You can't slap it around like an MSI or an Abit. :thumbsup:
-Kayura

c-g
08-15-2005, 07:42 PM
Why did you go with Alienware in the first place?

|Kayura|
08-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Good question... Well, oringially because it was cheaper overall to get all the components in a prebuilt system. The rebates on the 4th of July made it an even better deal. Alienware has always had this "great" rep too. I'm totally regreting it though, not impressed. Last time I ever do that. I built my last system from parts and it has been an awesome machine for 3 years under extreme DCC stress, and I think I will stick to that.

-Kay

c-g
08-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Good honest answer... I'm sure you will get help here. If anything Alienware has been an advertiser on cgtalk in the past and has sponsored contests. They might want to help out since this is a great place to stumble upon bad PR.

Good luck.

MadMax
08-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Why did you go with Alienware in the first place?

I didn't want to be the one who said this, even though I had been thinging it.

If you had bought a BoXX, they would have been all over your problem in a heartbeat. Sorry to hear you are having support problems.

novadude
08-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Alienware has always had this "great" rep too.

Not so much, really. Check around a little bit and you'll see numerous boards filled with people who have had the same experience. No support, inexplicable delays, etc. Return it and buy a Boxx. Get your credit card company involved if Alienware won't make good on it.

|Kayura|
08-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Novadude: I see what you mean. Yeah, unfortuantely Alienware already voided my warrenty because they are pricks. Apprently flashing your bios without an Alienware technician present is grounds for voiding your warrently. Which I think is total BS because that is like saying updating your damn video driver voids your videocard! So, I can't get any help from them now. They have been an terrible company to deal with, and it took almost two months to get my damn system. If anyone is ever looking to get an Alienware, DON'T. The warrenty doesn't cover anything, the craftsmanship and quality of thier cases are crap.

Ok, so now that I've covered that. An update, that perhaps someone has some knowledge to add to.

I stripped down to one processor, and tested each stick of ram. Each and every time, it booted 100% perfectly. So then I began loading on each stick until I had reached 4 gig on the first processor. Booted every single time. So, I add the second processor (note: which also voided my warrenty) leaving the ram on the first processor. Boots every single time.

So, then I add the two gig back over to cpu 2, boot problems return... So, I'm thinking a slot on that side is bad or something... If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I already emailed Tyan to see if they will RMA an OEM board.

-Kay

MadMax
08-16-2005, 12:54 AM
are you sure it isn't one of the dimms themselves which are bad?

try testing them with memtest86

|Kayura|
08-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the idea MadMax. I "tested" them only by placing each one in the machine at a time and they all boot ok, but I have not actually run tests on them. I just burned the disc, so when windows is done installing, I'll give that a go. I'll post back with the results.

-Kay

|Kayura|
08-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Still running the memtest, but the first pass, passed. I am pretty sure the ram is ok, but I'll probably keep running it for a while just to make sure.

-Kay

CGTalk Moderation
08-16-2005, 04:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.