PDA

View Full Version : New York Times:The State of Machimina

RobertoOrtiz
08-08-2005, 03:51 AM
Quote:
"When they were done, they posted the episode on their Web site (surreptitiously hosted on computers at work). They figured maybe a few hundred people would see it and get a chuckle or two.

Instead, ''Red vs. Blue'' became an instant runaway hit on geek blogs, and within a single day, 20,000 people stampeded to the Web site to download the file. The avalanche of traffic crashed the company server. ''My boss came into the office and was like, 'What the hell is going on?' '' Burns recalls. ''I looked over at the server, and it was going blink, blink, blink.''
Thrilled, Burns and his crew quickly cranked out another video, then another. They kept up a weekly production schedule, and after a few months, ''Red vs. Blue'' had, like some dystopian version of ''Friends,'' become a piece of appointment viewing. Nearly a million people were downloading each episode every Friday, writing mash notes to the creators and asking if they could buy a DVD of the collected episodes. Mainstream media picked up on the phenomenon. The Village Voice described it as '' 'Clerks' meets 'Star Wars,' '' and the BBC called it ''riotously funny'' and said it was ''reminiscent of the anarchic energy of 'South Park.' '' Burns realized something strange was going on. He and his crew had created a hit comedy show -- entirely inside a video game. "

>>Link<< (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/magazine/07MACHINI.html?ex=1281067200&en=a105a383b4973c96&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)
-R

PhilWesson
08-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Aside from CGtalk, Red-vs-Blue is my favorite thing on the internet. It has been, to this date, the only show to ever make me shoot milk through my nose from laughing too much.

Caboose is the man.

IRML
08-08-2005, 01:54 PM
yup it's class, I remember a few months ago seeing something like "red vs blue's guide to the internet" where they were showing real life scenarios and the equivalent online, it had me in stitches :D

beSigned
08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Any links where to download it? Sure google works well but some tested links would be cool. Danke schöne

AmyScott-Murray
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
www.redvsblue.com

: )

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2005, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.