PDA

View Full Version : creases

chaostest
08-08-2005, 04:00 AM
i got some ugly creases in my model and i tryed smoothing under surface editor,but yeilded no results,,any ideas,,cg talk rules

Karmacop
08-08-2005, 05:42 AM
It could be several things, post an image :thumbsup:

3rd-Axis
08-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Is your model a sub-patch? If so more than likely the creases will dissapear when you render.

One way to check this is in modeller hit cntl-d which freezes the polys just to see if they are removed. If they are gone when you do that then you can be confident they will not render with creases. Then hit undo so you can continue modeling.

chaostest
08-08-2005, 12:24 PM
imake3d,it is a sub-patch,freezing did rid her of a few creases but there is still a big one going down the middle, karmacop, lemme try the attchment thing.invalid file.i think the file has to be convert to a 2d pic or something, thanks for the replys, i would like to post the image ,since its my first model,i need critiquing real bad,but if you could let me KNow how to post the image im all ears. ?eyes.45min. gotta go to work,so it"ll be later

telamon
08-08-2005, 12:30 PM
to post an image. Do a screen grab using the print screen key on your keyboard. Paste it into any image editing software (paint, photoshop or equivalent), crop it and save it. You can either upload the image using the "manage attachments" button on the reply interface or use any free service like http://imageshack.us

I hope not to be condescendent :(

chaostest
08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
thanks telemon,that was perfect,that will work for moretasks too,i been drawing faces for her but nothing fits,any suggestions or critiques will be greatly appreciated, oh yea the creases in the head from modeling sphere ,here goes

telamon
08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
The first pic looks like you have a lot of triangles converging to a same point. If it is the case, select this point and click detail tab > ( in the polygon subset )more > fix pole.

dines
08-08-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't know if this is the same as telamon already said, but for me it looks like to polygons in the same spot. Try merge points and select then select the polygons on the creased spots and see if you could delete some...

Karmacop
08-08-2005, 03:14 PM
The crease down the middle of your character looks as thought you haven't merged the points there. To fix that just select all of the points down the middle of your model, quantize them on the x axis so that they all lay on x = 0, then merge all selected points at a distance of 0m ... or maybe a larger distance if the crease is still there.

The other creases look as though they are because of triangles. If you can make these areas into quads, or at least change the mesh so that there's only one triangle in the area, then you'll remove these creases.

Also, when you're asking about mesh problems it's usually best to take a screenshot with wireframe on so we can see the mesh and not guess. Just a tip for the future :)

chaostest
08-09-2005, 02:20 AM
Karmacop,the merge points worked,but now i got a couple other creases that look like arrows coming out,red arrows point to those, sorry about the shade,i made it wireframe,that stupid on my behalftelemon, i dont think i have fix pole,would that be the pole tool under,modify>strecth subset,or pole 1 in LW 7.0 Im also working with variations on Dines Tips,i dont know if im doing it right. thanks again for the replys folks

telamon
08-09-2005, 02:28 AM
similar to the rest, there are points which need to be welded on the X=0 axis. Select the point above the crease at x=0, there must be two contiguous points, to be sure, use the wireframe mode. Do Ctrl+W for weld and that should be fine. Repeat the operation until your mesh is quite OK

Another option is to select thoroughly one half of the model and do set value (v) x = 0 and delete. Then you select the central row of points and do set value (v) x = 0 and mirror the whole mesh.

chaostest
08-09-2005, 04:59 AM
hey telemon,is that for the crease in the middle or the creases in top of the head,im stuck real bad,in the face to, i wanna get something simple to work with in layout, i really appreciate the replys,

dines
08-09-2005, 08:27 AM
it maybe happend to be that you got 2 Polygons laying over each others...
So what you did was removing the point which where to much with proceeding the merger tool.
Now you want to get rid of the poly.

...select then select the polygons on the creased spots and see if you could delete some...

So it looks like you might have a polygon right through your character (direction z-axis)... try to select it and press delete. Otherwise it could be that you still got duplicated point which haven't merged...

Let me know if this helps...

dines

chaostest
08-09-2005, 12:53 PM
dines im still confused,there are times when 2polys will be laying on top of the other,or was there to much poly for where the point was, i did merge on x but this time i did with 21mm instead of zero and it got rid of those pointy things,now im trying the head. imerged triangle around the haed into polys ,but the tris on top stayed trys when they merged

telamon
08-09-2005, 01:14 PM
For me the problem is bigger. First of all your points at the seam (x=0) are not merged. Moreover, you have tooo many triangles. I do not know why. Even if you started with a sphere, you should not have this triangle count.

I took the liberty of modelling something similar to your object and propose you some kind of solution (see the animated gif here).

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3536/tut0np.gif

You may use merge trigonX a plugin to merge the trigons. I do not recommend it strongly because it may have unwanted results. You can find it here (http://www.dproject.com/lw_plus_e.htm). Moreover I do not recommend plugins to new users. You must first know your package before digging into external resources and tools.

Hope this helps

dines
08-09-2005, 01:42 PM
telamon is right... try to avoid triangle... go always with quads with that i mean a polygon with 4 points...

For Modeling a character it (could) gives you a nice polygon flow. Even if LW can handle triangle in subpatch mode (i think so). Back in the days this could only be done with polygons with 4 points...

When you choose the tool merge and nothing happens then the points are not exactly sharing the same place... with the ofset of 21mm you extending the range of points...
Basically the triangle came of merging around... (could be)...

What I recommend is put your model in a different layer (copy&paste). Make this model visible in the background and start over again. It gives you practice and you can still follow your original model because you have the shapes in the background. I don't know how you start but I would make a box and use the smoth shift tool to extrude segments ... and repeat this step until you have enough details. You should also consider to look what Spinquad does ... this could be very handy to adjust the polygon flow. When you use these tools you can get very far and still have all poligons as quads...

For the 2 poly sharing the same spot. When you have to poly's and you are merging the points... the faces of bot will stay as one poly... this looks always odd ... thats why simply delete it...

to try something like this make a box select one side panel shift+f and click... then hit tab...
what you have done is created 2 poly's sharing the same spot... hit merge you will see points get merge... but it will look odd... to fix it select the quad of which you have merge the points...

try to play around and see the funny things what could happen....

hope this helps ... let me know...

dines

chaostest
08-10-2005, 08:12 PM
thanks telemon, that little tut is really helpful man,cant tell you how i appreiciate it,and dines too, been really helpful,im still working working and studying off those replys,but when i get the model all fixed up ,or i might just start over like dines said and use the head stuff in the animation,but ill post up the results a soon as possible,again thanks for all the replys.. oh yea telemon how did you do that,i hope it didnt take long,and did you use layout

chaostest
08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
thanks again for the replys,heres the result,i took some from all the replys,i dont knor if you could see in the post,but there was creases in the neck also,so i cut the head right off and started over,i used the second trick in the animation but with a new sphere and the ring of points,i selected 4points,then p till there was a new neck,the merged points,then i smooth shift,drag,etc, for the start of the top,then deleted the top 2loops and used ring of point splines patches,youll probably be able to tell anyway,but there is no more creases,thanks

CGTalk Moderation
08-11-2005, 07:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.